Composite Skid plate / Shield

The Swap Meet - Buy , Sell ,Wanted ,Trade ,Ebay ,etc.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Composite Skid plate / Shield

Post by HenryJ »

Composite engine shield, what is it worth? Make me an offer.

LMC lists it as:
Engine plate $109

My best guess is that complaints about noisy rattling shields up to 1998 spurred the installation of the composite shields. These are not plastic the are a baked fiberglass design. The engine shield is impressive. One inch thick protection for that vulnerable cast aluminum oil pan we have.

The engine shield is just about perfect. I can not see any marks on it.
No hardware or bolts included.

I have been tempted to install this myself. It is lighter, hides the dirt and is quieter by far.

I usually say that half of new is a good price, so how about $54 or best offer.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Question,

Does the back shield cover the crossover pipe?

For some strange reason my wife keeps hanging something on the crossover pipe and denting/bending it.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No. The heat would probably be damaging to it. It does come down as far or just below the crossover though. The engine shield may serve to protect it somewhat. It is an inch or two forward from it. I am surprised you're not hitting the oil pan too. Dents in the crossover would make me very nervous.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
LakeCable4x4
Regular
Regular

Re: Composite Skid plate / Shield

Post by LakeCable4x4 »

I have little hope on this since it is hasn't been commented on for over a year now but is this still for sale or would you know of anybody that would have one?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Still have it. On the shelf with quite a few more parts. Just waiting for someone who needs one :)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I have the same plate laying around my garage, used. Replaced it with an aluminum shield. So i guess thats two available on here, but im not interested enough to post an ad, lol.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

fallvitals wrote:I have the same plate laying around my garage, used. Replaced it with an aluminum shield. So i guess thats two available on here, but im not interested enough to post an ad, lol.
You are closer than I , send him your shield. I had mine listed for $20+shipping. These things are getting very hard to find now. The steel prices are so high that lots are going to the crusher and no one is saving the shields.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

I didn't even see his post... well if your interested give me a PM and we can work something out.

Whats sad is I have an awful rattle from under my crew cab. I took off the metal skid, lost a thick washer, havent replaced that washer yet so every bump is loud and annoying becuase of the rattle from it, lol.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I used rubber edge trim on the oil door and hose washers on the diff shield mounts. It took a while to quiet them down. I'm sure that is why later models went composite.

Hold onto your shield and it will be gold someday soon. The price of steel is now so high that anything over five years old is being crushed. nearly all the S-series in my local yard are now gone. They never did reach "classic" status and get saved to the archive yard like the '70s chevys. Joe is into Jeeps now so quite a few of those are getting saved. He is hard on them too, so those are getting parted out pretty fast. I hear he rolled his last week. That means more parts, I'm sure.
Joe:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
fallvitals
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by fallvitals »

not a bad idea. I never did notice ay problem when I had the washer.

Actually the washer is probably under my rear seat... but im not gonna take the seat out to get it... Was at lowes last night, shoulda picked one up...

I dont notice it unless my radio is off and windows are down anyways, lol. I just wish I had a ATV before my crew, lol. A lot less pricey to go a heck of a lot more places. Just gotta be careful. I about threw myself over the front of mine last weekend, just going about 4 mph up a trail looking for mushrooms, Came to a log I "hopped" before, goosed it a little to raise the front tires up and clear the frame, but apperantly I goosed it a bit too much and vroom, lol. Scared me to death. Wasn't like I was even trying to goof around, lol. But I will say, I added 1.5" wheel spacers similer to the ones on the crew to it, and wow. It handles like a different machine. Stability increased 10 fold.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Lots cheaper to mod, well sort of and you don't have to rely upon it to drive to work the next day. That is good thing for an offroad play toy.

- ThunderII KE7CSK