Goin SFA - Tons of IFS, 4x4, & ZR2 Goodies!

The Swap Meet - Buy , Sell ,Wanted ,Trade ,Ebay ,etc.

Moderator: F9K9

uwwsquirrel
Regular
Regular

Goin SFA - Tons of IFS, 4x4, & ZR2 Goodies!

Post by uwwsquirrel »

Hey All!

Available:
- ZR2 Rear Axle $180.00 + Palleting fee & Shipping (freight)
- Iron Front Diff $300.00 + Shipping - - Pending Shipping Quote - -
- ZR2 Right Front Flare $100.00 + Shipping
- ZQ8 Centercaps $40.00 + Shipping (Set of 4)
- (1) Bravada Shaft - CV Slip In Style $85.00 Shipped
- 97 Bravada Front End (Will separate - just ask) Bumper - $170 + Shipping Grille - $65 + Shipping Set: - $210 + Shipping
- 98 Bravada Bumper, Grille $150.00 + Shipping
- Envoy HID's $400.00 + Shipping
- Aluminum Front Skid (non-ZR2) $65.00 Shipped
- Blazer Spare Tire Carrier FREE + Shipping
- (3) 231 long console assemblies (1) $160.00 + Shipping (2) $140.00 + Shipping

I decided to abandon my beefed up IFS project and search for a set of Dana 44's for the 04 crew instead. SOOOOO I have a lot of NICE parts up for sale as a result plus a lot of extras I've been hoarding.

The prices listed are what I'd like to get for these, however, I am open to REASONABLE OFFERS - but do keep in mind these are pretty fair prices considering the quality of some of these parts so please - no low-ballers please. Figured I'd offer up the good stuff to you guys first before I post it all on eBay. The bigger items (axles etc - I still need to package up - these will likely get shipped freight and need to be picked up at a specified location [like a FedEx or UPS hub.] thats the cheapest way) I've got tons of pics and detailed descriptions on my thread in the ZR2USA.com Garage Sale section for my items. I'll follow this thread for all correspondence from this forum. If you're interested in anything, let me know.
Last edited by uwwsquirrel on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
'99 S10 Reg Cab - Sold
'02 S10 ZR2 Ext Cab - Traded
'04 S10 CrewCab - Current DD

Every time I'm in the 'For Sale' forum my bank account quietly reminds me to calm the *&#% down...
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Goin SFA - Tons of IFS, 4x4, & ZR2 Goodies!

Post by _STUCKY »

I'm interested in the bravada shaft!

Where are you located? I have a drivers side drop waggy 44. Kinda funny that I saw this today because I was just thinking lastnight about using all my hoarded parts on the waggy frame. I've pretty much got all the big parts to throw together another beater. I have way to many junk trucks around....
uwwsquirrel
Regular
Regular

Post by uwwsquirrel »

OH OH!! INTERESTED!!
Is it the narrow track - w/o vacuum disconnect - disk or drum?

I'm located in San Diego, CA 91910
'99 S10 Reg Cab - Sold

Every time I'm in the 'For Sale' forum my bank account quietly reminds me to calm the *&#% down...
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Narrow track, non disconnect, 6 lug, disk brakes, drivers side drop, not sure the gear ratio. It has new warn (I think) lock out hubs that were put on a few years ago then parked a few days later. Also have the matching rear amc 20. Both are out of an 82 2 door. But....

San Diego is a long ways away...
uwwsquirrel
Regular
Regular

Post by uwwsquirrel »

Indeed it is - would have to ship it freight - and that could be a hassle. Where in IL are you located? That is the exact setup I'm looking for too for the front. Just curious - what were you looking to get for it?
'99 S10 Reg Cab - Sold

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Well, honestly, I hadn't considered selling it. I saw a few last night on pirate 4x4 in the 200$+ range, but mine doesn't have anything done that I know about. If I get time today I'll check the ratios.

I'm located just outside of Franklin il. About an hour southwest of Springfield. And we do have a loading dock...

It is a low pinion 44. Don't count out the high pinion 30 with an 8.8 out back. Driveshaft angles...
uwwsquirrel
Regular
Regular

Post by uwwsquirrel »

Cool. I'll have to check out pirate. I don't necessarily need a built one - just a complete stock assembly with the knuckles and steering linkage - It would to need to be regeared anyway to match the Isuzu rear 4.30's.

I'm going with the Isuzu rear vice the ZR2 rear mainly b/c the Isuzu rear is already ideally geared to run 33's and it's "59 vice 63" and I'll have more wheel options that won't stick out far and look stupid

But I'm keeping an open mind with it - If I can find a 96-99 Jeep XJ HP D30 for the right price I'd consider going that route too - Just wish they came in 6 lug...
'99 S10 Reg Cab - Sold

paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

not sure if you know but all waggy d44's are LP. Dana 30's are cheap but i would stay away from getting one, if you do go for a '96 or new xj d30. it has the bigger ujoints and the 1 piece passanger axle shaft.

Hit me up for SFA info if you need, ill share the wisdom.

/end of thread jack haha
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
uwwsquirrel
Regular
Regular

Post by uwwsquirrel »

paintballrocker wrote:not sure if you know but all waggy d44's are LP. Dana 30's are cheap but i would stay away from getting one, if you do go for a '96 or new xj d30. it has the bigger ujoints and the 1 piece passanger axle shaft.

Hit me up for SFA info if you need, ill share the wisdom.

/end of thread jack haha

Yes sir - The LP doesn't really matter much to me - I'm planning to run leafs and re-gear anyway to match a 4.30 Isuzu D44 rear (too bad the 4.30 isn't offered on the D30). Also, I'm not planning on scaling huge boulders or anything extreme - just the occasional dirt trail here and there. I'd prefer the waggy D44 over a D30 any day.

I do have a question for you - I've done the research and some of the chart's I've seen state that 4.30 is the best gear ratio to run for 33's - what's the best for our trucks? I want to be able to get decent performance off road but not top out at 70 mph on the freeway either... any thoughts?

Much appreciated.
'99 S10 Reg Cab - Sold

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

IMO 3.73 or 4.10 is the best choice for 33" tires.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
uwwsquirrel
Regular
Regular

Post by uwwsquirrel »

HenryJ wrote:IMO 3.73 or 4.10 is the best choice for 33" tires.
Hmmm - maybe I should consider getting the 4.10 Isuzu rear - that would allow me the option of using a D30...
'99 S10 Reg Cab - Sold

paintballrocker
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by paintballrocker »

HJ hit it on the head. my 373 are not bad, i just need to get the computer returned for the bigger tires so the tranny stops "searching" for gears on the highway. but i think 410's would give it a little more balls off a start
[size=75]2002 CC, westin push bar with 2 lights, bed cover, custom made cat-back exhaust.......soon a steering stabilizer mod, lift, sounds system[/size]
uwwsquirrel
Regular
Regular

Post by uwwsquirrel »

It's settled then 4.10's. Found a lot of threads on the D30 and many users on different forums have said the D30 is too weak and not worth building. Anyone here running a D30? I'm not a hardcore wheeler by any means, but knowing my rig could handle Moab would be a plus.

The general consensus is to go with a Waggy D44. I don't know why people say these things are so abundant - I can't seem to find any in the Socal area. These things are just hard to come by down here...
'99 S10 Reg Cab - Sold

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Yup, I run one in my 95 yj with a 4 banger (all 4 bangers got 4.10 gears). This is the only thing I have ever broke on it:

But a waggy 44 uses the same u joint. I am a fan of the 30, it is way more stout than people give it credit for. Aftermarket parts are plentiful and housings are cheap. This one: (not the Dana 60 in the background haha)

I picked up for $50, complete with shafts and brakes. We built the truss on top, and it will get gussets from the truss to the upper C's that will double as shock mounts. A common issue is bending the upper C, which is part of the reason I am building it because the one in my jeep has the upper c on the drivers side bent from a previous owner smearing a fence post. I have, as far as I know, everything for it, 4.88s, spartan locker, new carrier, spicer ball joints, tie rod flip kit, ect. I'm just waiting on my mechanic to put the gears in then its time to start on the rear axle.

Speaking of rear axles, I won't clutter this up with too many more pictures, but... The last time I was out with the yj, I was pounding on it and snapped a rear axle shaft (Dana 35, totally different realm than the Dana 30). I could have spent 75 clams on another shaft, slapped it in, and been back in the dirt by morning, but I saw that as wasted effort. So I hauled it home and started working on the 4.10 geared 8.8 (I have another 3.73 geared 8.8 that will get regeared to 4.88). I already had an artec truss, so it was getting used. I wanted to keep as much ground clearance as possible while staying spring under, so I spend at least 1 night googling for pictures of 8.8 swaps and finally found a setup I liked. I went to the junkyard to get some spring plates from an 88+ Chevy 1/2 ton, as they fit the axle tubes almost perfectly. I took a grinder and as carefully as I could cut the spring pads off the 8.8 and slid them out to where they needed to be and bolted it all together with square u bolts going up from the bottom. With it all bolted together, I loaded it on the trailer and took it to my buddy to set pinion angle (which he claimed I had spot on, but I just eye balled it haha) and burn it all together.

Final result:

It is in and driveable but I also swapped rear springs to wagoneer front springs which push it back about an inch, which has caused my gas tank skid plate to finally break and now (I saw this yesterday) the gas tank is about to fall out, so I guess it is time to pony up for a fuel cell. I did have to get a driveshaft made, but I got one from another yj and took the stock rear waggy driveshaft, which uses the same u joints, to the only place around here that messes with driveshafts. They cut the yoke from one end of the yj shaft and put it on the cut down waggy shaft, making it exactly 1 inch longer than the stock yj shaft, which put the slip yoke back in the stock position on the t case. I still need to make some shackles, since a straight shackle hits the rear crossmember, I am thinking some curved ones like this > )

So anywho, if you get a Dana 30 for the front, I suggest an 8.8 out back and do the spring perches like I did for ground clearance. I'm on the fence about the truss, since it killed the keeping it cheap budget, complicated the install, and takes away valuable up travel, although up travel isn't an issue on my setup currently. As for the front, the more and more I see abused Dana 30s, the more I am impressed. I saw one a few weeks back with the long side tube bent, which made the shaft rub the inside of the housing, which made a weird noise, but the thing still worked just fine.

Now as for suspension for the front, I haven't done enough reading on different setups, or for that matter ever done an s10 solid axle swap, to make a suggestion. I am a fan of leaves, but really don't see a way to keep an s10 low with leaves. If low is the goal, which lower is better for center of gravity, a linked setup would be the way to go. Check out artec.com for trusses, they have a good looking one for the xj/tj axles with the link mounts on it. I'm pretty sure that the off road direct s10 link kit was a copy of a jeep long arm kit.

Another thing to think about is the transfer case. Find a Dakota np231 for the fixed front output, and some even have the bigger chain. Np241 have a 6 planetary gear in them that will swap to the np 231, but I know that there are at least 2 different ones, you'll have to do a little reading on that. For the rear output, just about any of the slip yoke eliminators would do, but I would call jb conversions. They make some nice products.

Whoa this was long, but ~96+ xj Dana 30 and ~96-98 explorer 8.8 is what the jeep guys look for. Got any more questions, I'll answer the best I can.
:wave:

Edit: was just thinking, I'm almost certain my buddy said the other day that xjs went to a low pinion 30, like the tjs have. I'm pretty sure he said 99 or 00 is the first year of low pinion axles. If you have the choice, high pinion vs low pinion, get the high pinion. The older than ~96 Dana 30s can and probably do have both smaller u joints and the CAD (central axle disconnect). Nothing nessacarily wrong with that if it all works, and both can be eliminated with a different set of axle shafts. All yjs, and some (maybe all?) mjs (Comanche) have the CAD setup. Basically the same axle came in practically all jeeps of that era, yj, tj, xj, mj. Even the grand cherokee (zj?) has one, but it has cv shafts instead of u joints.
Last edited by _STUCKY on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

_STUCKY wrote:...

Final result:
Image...
All that tire, a truss and SUA? Is there a reason it is not SOA?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Axle wrap and height. I really didnt need anymore heighth. The thing works surprisingly well spring under. I can't wait until I have everything squared away so I can really see how flexible it is. The wagoneer springs are longer and flatter than the 3.5 lift springs that were there, and the center pin is offset. So hopefully it is a little better ride, with more flex, and the wheelbase is an inch longer. The reason I need to make new shackles is two fold, not only will a straight shackle hit the frame, I also need it to make up the difference in height to match the front. I had some cheapo adjustable 3 hole shackles I put on there for the time being, and in the hole I have it in, it is right at about 1/8 inch (or so) higher in the back. I really need to get a picture of the spring plates, since that is what I was trying to show haha. I looked at a ton of setups, and couldn't find any other spring under setup with good clearance that were that cheap and simple. It should work good on an s10 if he chooses to go d30/8.8. Just cut perches, put them where they need to be, start all the bolts, center the axle, tighten all the bolts, use a jack to adjust pinion angle, double or triple check everything, and weld it. By the way, the front is going to be spring under too, but we are making a u bolt eliminator setup for it. I don't have pics, and its not done, and the plan may change haha.

This has better pictures:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/18545945-post76.html
uwwsquirrel
Regular
Regular

Post by uwwsquirrel »

Holy axle trusses!! Well that certainly is a way to beef up a D30. My only concern with that is clearance. Especially since I'm going spring under for the front - trussing to that extent could create some issues. I'm going for the look that 02Crewcab from s10forum's truck has. His setup is still fairly low but looks great.

That's exactly the look I'm trying to achieve - I'm not going for crazy height. Trussing a D30 is a great way to beef it up, but it would definitely need to be a lower profile truss - Artec makes a few that might do the job.
'99 S10 Reg Cab - Sold

_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

Another option to strengthen a Dana 30 housing is to sleeve it. When I was looking into truss vs sleeve, the general consensus was that you only need 1 or the other, not both. Gusseting the C's, I think, is a very good idea, and there are kits for that, too.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant ... y_Code=XDT

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Syn ... 20274.html
uwwsquirrel
Regular
Regular

Post by uwwsquirrel »

Found a Waggy D44 in the yards today - complete. $189 for everything - problem is, it has the disconnect in it. Is there an easy way to get rid of that (I.E. just install the non-disconnect shaft and rip out the vacuum crap? Or maybe splurge and get the chromo axles altogether?) Or is there more to it than just simply swapping axleshafts...?

EDIT:
Scratch that. Bought a non-disco '87 grand waggy Dana 44 on eBay last night conveniently located an hour from here - Picking it up this week :mrgreen: I also managed to snag an Isuzu Rodeo Dana 44 disc brake rear at the yards today (1/2 off for the 4th of July weekend sales) :rock:

Out of the 7 Rodeos that were there, I couldn't seem to find one 4.10 WITH the G80 - all of the 4.30's had it though... meh... Looks like I'll be going back to snag a G80 carrier at a later date. (mostly because I'm cheap and don't want to drop hundreds of $$$ on an actual locker). While I'm at it I'll try and snag another 4.10 R&P for the front (Since the 93-97 Rodeo's have a THICK RING GEAR that will bolt up to a low 3.73 carrier. The waggy front is geared 3.30 - I believe the Thick R&P may work on that carrier, but I'll have to research it more to see if that's even an option...)
'99 S10 Reg Cab - Sold