Dash Speakers?

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

CMYMUD

Dash Speakers?

Post by CMYMUD »

Putting in new Polk 6 1/2 in doors front and rear and a new deck, my question is what to do with the dash speakers? Can I just unplug them at the speakers or do I have to dig into the wireing some where else? I belive the are robing my new speakers of sound :twisted:

Thanks for any help
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Dash Speakers?

Post by nebby58 »

The toughest part you are going to have is fighting the windshield with a screwdriver to get those screws off. I used a drill bit. If all else fails, take it to a shop. If you are going to take out the dash speakers, I would definately replace them. You will notice the difference of sound greatly.
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
CMYMUD

Post by CMYMUD »

I'm going to leave them in, they sound okay with the Polks. I got some picks if anybody needs to see any :)
nebby58
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by nebby58 »

Good choice. I ended up just throwing my old speakers away. Couldn't find any buyers, but best of luck to you.
"It says the install time is only a half an hour"-me
"Better add three more on top of that"-family
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Replace your dash plates with a set of component plates- that is a separate woofer and tweeter mounted to a 4x6 plate. Alpine may still make one or two. If you want to go all out, take a heat gun and deform the plastic in the openings to fit a set of 5-1/4" components. Those dash speakers are even more important for good sound staging and clarity than the doors imo. :)

Sent from my Desire CDMA using Tapatalk
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

I just tried this experiment yesterday, I removed my two 4x6 2 way pioneers from the dash and installed a pair of 6.5 pioneer coaxials in my doors. I removed the 4x6s because it seems like they can distort with all the open space in the dash, its not exactly set up for midrange/bass response.

The sound seems a little more on the same level, i can actually hear my rears at level with the fronts and the bass is more pronounced from my bazooka tube, i just feel so far I lost my upper sound stage with the highs. I will have to road test it some and see what the final verdict is. I think what I may just do is install my Polk MOMO set in there with the tweeters in the dash and the woofers in the door. Just need to find where all the speaker wire goes so I can connect the crossover in the middle!
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ
Ezrollin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ezrollin »

My stock 2003 were just factory tweeters on a plate, if you replace them with 4x6's make sure the ones you buy will fit!
ApproachMedium
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ApproachMedium »

Ezrollin wrote:My stock 2003 were just factory tweeters on a plate, if you replace them with 4x6's make sure the ones you buy will fit!
Thats a waste of time anyhow. There is not a single 4x6 dash speaker i have heard that sounds good. 6.5 inch coaxials is where its at, or even better get a 6.5 component set and put the tweeters in the old dash panels. As you can see what I did from my post from 2011, i still have this set up BUT i got a set of the dash plates and i put the old tweeters from the back seat of my VW in there. The sound stage is excellent. They were philips silk dome tweeters and they have their own little crossover on the back. Everyone that rides in my truck comments on how good the sound is. I have also since upgraded last year to a 250w Class D 6.5 bazooka tube, which made a good impact on my bass response. The whole truck sounds excellent and has a very level sound stage, like a music studio almost, the bass is good and responsive as well without being teenager level obnoxious.
Knowledge has no value unless its shared with others.
Exploration Machine- 02' CC V8 swap. 300K+
Portable Roller Coaster- 07' MKV VW GTI
Its another Jeep- 98 TJ