Wiper control

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Wiper control

Post by barch97 »

My windshield wiper speed selector has been acting up. It used to be just periodic malfunction but, lately all the speeds are the same. Well, not ALL the speeds. There's still the faster speed all the way at the last click but, the rest are all the same speed.

I'm at about 34,500 miles. So, warranty will be running out soon. Is this covered by the standard 3yr/36k mile warranty?

I called the dealer that I bought the truck from and they haven't any openings until the 26th of this month. That alone has me worried. If their service department is that busy, what's the quality of the vehicles they're selling? Anyway, chances are pretty good that I'll be over 36k miles by the 26th and therefore the repair, if it was covered at all, will no longer be covered.

Can I take my Sonoma to any GM dealer for warranty service or does it need to go to a GMC dealer? Can I take it to a non dealer service center and have warranty repairs covered? Or will I have to pick up the tap for non dealer work?
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Wiper control

Post by Conman »

barch97 wrote:My windshield wiper speed selector has been acting up. It used to be just periodic malfunction but, lately all the speeds are the same. Well, not ALL the speeds. There's still the faster speed all the way at the last click but, the rest are all the same speed.

I'm at about 34,500 miles. So, warranty will be running out soon. Is this covered by the standard 3yr/36k mile warranty?

I called the dealer that I bought the truck from and they haven't any openings until the 26th of this month. That alone has me worried. If their service department is that busy, what's the quality of the vehicles they're selling? Anyway, chances are pretty good that I'll be over 36k miles by the 26th and therefore the repair, if it was covered at all, will no longer be covered.

Can I take my Sonoma to any GM dealer for warranty service or does it need to go to a GMC dealer? Can I take it to a non dealer service center and have warranty repairs covered? Or will I have to pick up the tap for non dealer work?

Since you called before the warr. date, you should be fine. Even if you called after the warr. at GM's discression, they can cover thing even after the warr. expires. My mom had a power window go on a Mitsu car right after the warr and it was replaced for free still. I think Edmunds.com has an article with this "hidden warr". Normally when they do cover something after the warr. is when you have brought it in for service and the dealer could not dupe. the problem. Then later it breaks for good, they will cover it cause you complained about it ealier. So it's allways a good idea to put in those minor things for them to check, even if they don't find anything.

So for your case, if they say it's out of warr, state that you did call before it was up(politely) and if the dealer refuses, I would then bring it up with GM and they will probably cover it. My feeling is that they will be very helpfull since they want repeat buyers so I don't think you will have any problems.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

call and book your appointment now and mention that your warranty may be up by the time their first appointment is available. They have to cover this as it is their schedule that puts you out of warranty, not your inability to get the vehicle there.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

You can go to any GM dealer for your warranty work.
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

I was told by a GM dealer service employee that all GM dealers can do the warranty work, but they prefer for a Chevrolet to go to a Chevy dealer first, GMC to a GMC dealer, Pontiac to a Pontiac dealer, and so on... If there is not one close, then you can go to a non-Chevy GM dealer with your S-10 (like maybe a GMC one) next. I think the point is to try and stick with your vehicle's brand of dealership, but where you bought it doesn't play a part IMO. This same principle applies to recalls as well. Like I said, this is what GM prefers, but to my knowledge service tech training and part availability are the same throughout the GM network.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Thanks for the help. I'll make an appointment in the morning. :D
QnsRyche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by QnsRyche »

my switch has been replaced twice
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

All fix0red :)

and, they did the headlamp (no charge) also. :) :)

so, now that waranty is over... I gotta start lifting and modifying, right?
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Yep :-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

:thumb:
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]