Headlamp bulb replacement

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Headlamp bulb replacement

Post by barch97 »

I just noticed (actually my wife noticed and pointed out to me) last night that my passenger side headlamp is out. I popped the hood expecting to pull the non-working bulb and bring it to a parts store this morning and pick up a replacement.

Well, much to my surprise, the bulb appears to be initially inaccessible. Do I really need to remove my battery to replace my headlamp bulb? There's got to be an easier way to do this? Is there some special contortionist tool that I need?

And, what are my replacement options? I'm sure there are better bulbs available than the OEM bulbs but, in within a few dollars of the stock replacement are there better, brighter, longer lasting, less glare, etc bulbs?

Which brings me to, how many unrelated parts do I need to remove to access the bulb on the driver's side? Would I be better off just replacing the non-working bulb with the OEM and saving the time, trouble, aggravation, etc involved in accessing the one on the other side?

And, one more thing...

I'm taking the truck in to the dealer this Friday to have the wiper control thing repaired/replaced. Might I be better off just having the dealer replace the bulb for me while it's in there? What's the difference in cost? This can't be an expensive dealer repair, right?
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

My dealer told me that as long as the vehicle is under warranty, the bulbs are covered too. Even made them hold true to it on my Z24 a few times.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

In the owner's manual it shows the two retaining brackets for each headlight unit. Pull up on the two clips (they stick up in front of the battery) on the passenger side and with a little wiggling, they should come out. Then just pull the headlight unit out horizontally towards the front of the truck. You now have access to the turn signal, the low beam bulb, and the high beam bulb. They all twist out of their sockets and then unclip out of their wiring harness. Then just reverse the process to put 'em back. I have Sylvania Silverstars and the are WHITE and bright, too. Expect to spend about $40 a pair. Just keep in mind...it might be best to buy a new pair of whatever you buy, so they'll match. :D
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Thanks for the helpful info and the quick response. I'ma give the dealer a call and see if they'll change the bulb under warranty.