YOU GUYS DON'T HAVE AN UNDER-HOOD LIGHT???

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

adrenalnjunky wrote:YOU GUYS DON'T HAVE AN UNDER-HOOD LIGHT??? -- go find one in a Junkyard ASAP!!!
I have one in my '02 GMC. I imagine the Chevy guys have one too. Doesn't everybody already have that?
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think that no underhood light was one of the "cut-backs" for 2003?

The sliding rear glass became an option at some point too. It was std. equip. in 2001.

(P.S. Split the topic to keep the other thread on track-HJ)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rdivirgilio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rdivirgilio »

Sounds like a cheap mod for 2003 crews.
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I was upset when I got my crew and poped the hood. to find out there was no light.. a 26000 dollar truck and no light.. :!:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Wow, I can't believe it! My 02 has one. That is a dumb move.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I got a question on this.. ok I was thinking if I install one. I was gonna run a bulb with an inline fuse straight to the battery.. then a ground to a push ground switch and bolt it on the fender...
=The switch is just a plastic nipple with a ground and a spring.. so when the hood is down the switch is pushed down causing a break in the ground... then u open the hood and the spring pushes the nipple up causing the ground wire to slide up and make contact with metal.. I had this switch on my car alarm under the hood. ..

do you thing this would work. ?

also how do they usually wire these to know when the hood is up.? I know they dont do it the way I am gonna do it :?
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:I got a question on this.. ok I was thinking if I install one. I was gonna run a bulb with an inline fuse straight to the battery.. then a ground to a push ground switch and bolt it on the fender...
=The switch is just a plastic nipple with a ground and a spring.. so when the hood is down the switch is pushed down causing a break in the ground... then u open the hood and the spring pushes the nipple up causing the ground wire to slide up and make contact with metal.. I had this switch on my car alarm under the hood. ..

do you thing this would work. ?

also how do they usually wire these to know when the hood is up.? I know they dont do it the way I am gonna do it :?
Would probably work, but why not pick up the light next time you're in Boise (Dillon salvage on Nampa/Caldwell Blvd) then just clip it on and plug it in?

The plug is there near your power brake booster.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rdivirgilio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rdivirgilio »

So any light from a GMC/Chevy truck will plug into this spot??
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

rdivirgilio wrote:So any light from a GMC/Chevy truck will plug into this spot??
You need to stick with the second gen s-series. Take a close look at the plug , I don't think there were differences, but you never know.
It attaches to the hood with two screws.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:lol: :lol: I didnt know the plug was there.. :lol: I bet dillons on 47th has it huh?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote::lol: :lol: I didnt know the plug was there.. :lol: I bet dillons on 47th has it huh?
Yea, Dillons Salvage has a white four door Blazer , and a white excab pickup that have been good for quite a few parts (skid plates, hatch/wiper switch, IAT, etc.).

There are about a dozen vehicles to choose from there. If you have any trouble finding one , give me a shout, I'm sure I can get one off one of the blazers at NorthVerde AutoSalvage

- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

And to answer your question about how the stock one knows that the hood is up --- it most likely uses a mercury switch a.k.a A tilt switch. works like the Thermostat in houses (Cept those new fancy digital ones.) You can find them from places that carry lots of car alarm parts -- www.partsexpress.com has em.

Here's a pic and link-HJ
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

I don't even have one in my 2000 ext cab gmc. Too bad all of the second gen s1o's, noma's, blazers and jimmy's around here get shipped to the states or down east.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Part number?

Post by KCustom »

anyone got a part number for the under hood light....Mine is missing as well.
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

Brule and I could not find a clip so I guess if we really want one we have to hard wire the darn thing.. :twisted: :twisted:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:Brule and I could not find a clip so I guess if we really want one we have to hard wire the darn thing.. :twisted: :twisted:
If you have to go to that trouble, Then I'd use one of the lights from the early to mid-ninties fullsize that has a reel up cord to double as a trouble light.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:idea: and that my friend is what I am gonna get.. a reel type.. now I just gotta make my way to the junk yard.. or in brules case the autoparts palace .. :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:.... now I just gotta make my way to the junk yard.. or in brules case the autoparts palace .. ..
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Did anyone add the reel-up light from a fullsize yet? I'm just curious where you stuffed it under the hood. Not a lot of mounting options there.

I just usually carry a couple of mag lights and a Garrity 10,000,000 candlepower rechargable spotlight :-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:D Ill put it at the top of my list as soon as I get back.. maybe even get a nice write up on it..
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Ok so now I have both an underhood light and a reel light to choose from to put in the crew thanks to parts donated from my 89 Silverado that I am in the process of parting out. Just have to clean them up and see where to put them. The reel light might be too handy for my E-COMM box to go under the hood. No direct plug in on the basic light, it was wired directly to a ground point and a hot lead under the vehicle accessory panel on the firewall.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]