Blank panel , left of radio

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Blank panel , left of radio

Post by HenryJ »

There was some question as to how to remove the little panel without breaking it.
The panel just snaps in , a small screwdriver slipped underneath should pop it loose.
Here's a picture of my old panel , please excuse the butcher job, I have since gone to using a wiper/hatch release switch for all the functions I need to control now.

There is a pin centered between the two retention prongs on one end, and a raised bar on the other end to prevent it being installed upside down.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

That's where my passenger airbag turnoff switch is, wish I had a panel there instead, would be a great location for some switches :idea:
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Do the Crew Cabs have the wiring harness behind the blank panel for the air bag switch? I would like to put the switch from a regular S10 into my Crew Cab so I can turn off the air bag for my 9 year old daughter. Thanks, Steve
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

killian96ss wrote:Do the Crew Cabs have the wiring harness behind the blank panel for the air bag switch? I would like to put the switch from a regular S10 into my Crew Cab so I can turn off the air bag for my 9 year old daughter. Thanks, Steve
It might have it, but I doubt it will, as they try to save a penny whereever they can. If it has the harness though, it would be a simple plug and play thing.

Just keep in mind children under 70lbs or 4' should always sit in the back seat whenever possible.
Last edited by Dragonmaster on Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

drive your truck into a wall at about 5 mph. leave air bag hanging from dash. problem solved.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

LOL Yeah -- but have your windows rolled down a little though -- when the airbags went off in my Z24 it blew both windows out of track, and blew my sunroof out of it's track too.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Black03ZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Black03ZR5 »

killian96ss wrote:Do the Crew Cabs have the wiring harness behind the blank panel for the air bag switch? I would like to put the switch from a regular S10 into my Crew Cab so I can turn off the air bag for my 9 year old daughter. Thanks, Steve
On my '03, it looks like the wiring is there. Basically there are wires there but I am not sure what they do. I have always wondered what they were for.
Dave
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

It should be a harness with six wires, if that's what you have, it should work. It may require a quick reprogram of the BCM, but there is no harm in trying it, as the signal for them to open is sent by a computer, not the switch.

Discalimer: If you mess up your airbags (SIR system), have them go off, or anything goes wrong with your truck it's not my fault.

[/b]

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:Do the Crew Cabs have the wiring harness behind the blank panel for the air bag switch?
No, we have the same harness as all the utilities (Blazers) , so the wiring for the rear wiper/hatch release is back there.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

BAH! -- Utilities.

/grumble
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:
killian96ss wrote:Do the Crew Cabs have the wiring harness behind the blank panel for the air bag switch?
No, we have the same harness as all the utilities (Blazers) , so the wiring for the rear wiper/hatch release is back there.
Don't forget the Crews come out of the Linden, NJ plant where they make the Blazers.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

Post by melloyellow »

I am going to measure the voltages on the harness. I am looking for a 12V accessory link for my iPod. Then I won't need the lighter. 8)
[size=75]2003 Yellow S10 Crew Cab ZR5: SuperLiner, PA192 Lift, 3 Leaf Kit, Bilsten Shocks, Yokohama GeoLander A/T + II, ARE IIsi Tonneau Cover with Wing[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

melloyellow wrote:I am going to measure the voltages on the harness. I am looking for a 12V accessory link for my iPod. Then I won't need the lighter. 8)
How about the pin assignments and color codes:
HenryJ wrote:
The factory fog light switch is below the dome light switch below the light switch,

That blank panel , to the left of the radio, is the panel for the rear wiper and hatch release. We have the same wiring harness as all the utilities (Blazers).

On the pickup wiring harness the airbag disconnect switch/wiring is there.

Can you use the wiring? YES! I even used the switch :D

(I've added a couple indicator LEDs since this picture)

Heres the wiring:

Pin A YEL = Accesory Voltage

Pin B DK GRN = Rear Window washer Control

Pin C GRY = Rear Window Wiper Switch Signal

Pin D BLK = Trunk Release Switch Signal

Pin E BLK = Ground

Pin F GRY Instrument Panel Lamp Fuse Supply Voltage
From the thread: Wiring question

- ThunderII KE7CSK
melloyellow
Webhost
Webhost

Post by melloyellow »

Well that saved some time. Now I need to go to Radio Shack and get a couple parts to build my own mini 12V regulator.

Bennie
[size=75]2003 Yellow S10 Crew Cab ZR5: SuperLiner, PA192 Lift, 3 Leaf Kit, Bilsten Shocks, Yokohama GeoLander A/T + II, ARE IIsi Tonneau Cover with Wing[/size]