Color coded wire harness connectors on the rear of the truck

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

D_Wayne
Regular
Regular

Color coded wire harness connectors on the rear of the truck

Post by D_Wayne »

I was taking my spare tire off and found two wire harness connectors attached underneath the rear of the truck. One has a green cap covering it and the other has a blue cap covering it. The blue one is in the center of the inside bumper and the green cap wire harness is on the right side of the truck. What are they :?:

Tim
[size=75]Black 2003 S10 Crew Cab with leather power/heated seats. Tow package, rear sliding window, bug deflector, Euro tail lights, Boise Spring Works Kit, Mild T-Bar Crank, Bilstein Shocks and Ranch Truck Topper.[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

my guess is that one(or both) of them might be for the factory trailer wiring harness. The Hidden Hitch Wire Kit I got was made by Hoppy and it did not use either plug. It plugged inbetween the factory plug instead.

Another guess is that the one in the middle is for the plate light when you don't get a bumper and that leaves the one on the drivers side for the factory trailer light kit. Just guess.

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Color coded wire harness connectors on the rear of the t

Post by HenryJ »

D_Wayne wrote:... found two wire harness connectors attached underneath the rear of the truck. One has a green cap covering it and the other has a blue cap covering it. The blue one is in the center of the inside bumper and the green cap wire harness is on the right side of the truck. What are they...
You should have found three back there.
They are splice packs.

RH Splice pack SP401 (CKT 2250) Tail lamp harness, in rear right side frame rail, LH Splice pack SP402 (CKT 1750) Tail lamp harness, in rear left side frame rail , Center Splice pack SP400 (CKT 1324, CKT2509, CKT 2609) Tail lamp harness, on center inside of the rear crossmember.
Conman wrote:The Hidden Hitch Wire Kit I got was made by Hoppy and it did not use either plug. It plugged inbetween the factory plug instead.
That is where the factory GM harness installs too. That is what I have.

If you look 12-24" from the rear inside the LH (driverside) frame rail, near where the Tee for trailer wiring is installed.
You will find a light blue 12 ga. wire folded over with a taped end. The diagrams show this to be the electric trailer brake wire, but I have been unable to sucesssfully find the other end. It may dead end inside the underhood electrical center? I plan on installing a trailer brake (soon?) maybe I'll try to figure it all out again ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

they are a secret :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

a2b wrote:they are a secret :lol:
I knew it. They're extra wires installed by the government to keep track of our comings and goings. :shock:
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:
D_Wayne wrote:... found two wire harness connectors attached underneath the rear of the truck. One has a green cap covering it and the other has a blue cap covering it. The blue one is in the center of the inside bumper and the green cap wire harness is on the right side of the truck. What are they...
You should have found three back there.
They are splice packs.

RH Splice pack SP401 (CKT 2250) Tail lamp harness, in rear right side frame rail, LH Splice pack SP402 (CKT 1750) Tail lamp harness, in rear left side frame rail , Center Splice pack SP400 (CKT 1324, CKT2509, CKT 2609) Tail lamp harness, on center inside of the rear crossmember.
Conman wrote:The Hidden Hitch Wire Kit I got was made by Hoppy and it did not use either plug. It plugged inbetween the factory plug instead.
That is where the factory GM harness installs too. That is what I have.

If you look 12-24" from the rear inside the LH (driverside) frame rail, near where the Tee for trailer wiring is installed.
You will find a light blue 12 ga. wire folded over with a taped end. The diagrams show this to be the electric trailer brake wire, but I have been unable to sucesssfully find the other end. It may dead end inside the underhood electrical center? I plan on installing a trailer brake (soon?) maybe I'll try to figure it all out again ;)
Interesting. What are the splice packs for?

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

barch97 wrote:
I knew it. They're extra wires installed by the government to keep track of our comings and goings. :shock:
Good thinking Mulder. :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

Conman wrote:
Interesting. What are the splice packs for?

Con
Generally they are just a point where grounds join for a common ground, or wires get split from 1 into two or three wires and continue on. There arent any connections that can be made to these, they are just for ease of instalation by the factory.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

AZS10Crew wrote:
barch97 wrote:
You know about the overhead compass/temperature display don't you?

While you're watching it...

...it's watching you! :shock:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Conman wrote:...What are the splice packs for?
Splicing a group of wires together.

As an example, instead of running each ground wire to the ground point they all meet at a splice pack transfer to larger gauge wire then to ground.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

GaryH wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:
barch97 wrote:I knew it. They're extra wires installed by the government to keep track of our comings and goings. :shock:
You know about the overhead compass/temperature display don't you?

While you're watching it...

...it's watching you! :shock:
Well, of course... where do you think pics like this come from?