cig lighter dont turn off witht key on power..

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

cig lighter dont turn off witht key on power..

Post by 2bunik »

Ok I have that dvd player I just got and am trying to figure out the easiest way to hook it up.. I just noticed that when I turn the truck off and open the doors the cig lighter still has power.. therfore if I forget to disconnect the dv player from the lighter it will drain and kill the battery.. is there a way to get it to turn off with the key off. or would I have to install another plug and run it to key off power like my amplifier? :(
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Why not just do away with the plug and hard wire it to the switched power supply that your amp is on?
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

ok this is the setup.. and as cheesy as it sounds it works really nice.. I have a casette the has a headphone plug on one end and can be plugged into and cd player.. Or car kit as they are called.. so I plugged it into my dvd played audio out. so I get audio perfectly.. ok now for power I need to run it off the cig lighter since the player only runs on 9V. But when I turn the truck off the dvd player stays on.. so how could I hard wire it to eliminate the removal of the cig plug everytime I get off the truck..

I thought about installing another cig lighter plug under the dash (hidden) directly to my remote wire that goes to the amp. (thats way that cig plug would turn off with the truck. and I wouldnt have to remove anything.)
Is there any other options.. anyone.. I dont mind hard wiring the plug that the dvd player came with to my truck and just have the line come out below the stereo. But I dont know how to go about it..

Another thought I had was to make all the cig lighters turn off with the truck but I havent seen the wiring schematics to see if they has the same power source.. Which I doubt anyway.. any pointers?
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Well...if you know which wire is hot and which is ground on the power plug/wire for the DVD, just cut the plug off and hard wire it to the switched amp power supply. Otherwise, try installing a new cig lighter plug to the amp switched power source and just plug it in.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

AZS10Crew wrote:Well...if you know which wire is hot and which is ground on the power plug/wire for the DVD, just cut the plug off and hard wire it to the switched amp power supply. Otherwise, try installing a new cig lighter plug to the amp switched power source and just plug it in.
I dont know which wire is which :(
But I think I am going with the installing a new cig lighter plug to the amp switched power source and just plug it in..

thanks AZ for helping me make my mind up.. after reading the whole topic I feel this would be the easiest way.. :D