Multiple Cig. Lighters? ( power ports )

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

j0ker v1.25

Multiple Cig. Lighters? ( power ports )

Post by j0ker v1.25 »

Newbie checking in. Been lurking for awhile, and finally decided to post. I try to keep my questions to a minimum while reading/searching as much as I can.

I read in the CB Radio mod section that there are other cig. lighters available when you lose the one in the ashtray. I've only got one that I'm aware of. Where are the others located? I'd love to have another place to plug my cellphone in instead of having the ashtray open all the time (roaches ees steeenky!)

Any insight would be appreciated
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I have two power ports covered with black caps under the dash on the passenger side, just right of the console. I think that is standard on all 98 and up s10's and Sonoma's

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

j0ker v1.25 wrote:Nope, no other options. Damn. Guess I'll have to get creative.
WAIT, don't hack up things just yet!

How are your local salvage yards?

The piece is simple to remove that has the auxillary power ports. it is a small section of the center lower dash covering. Any of the utilities had it as an option. STD on the 2001 crew cab.

I saw one at Dillon Salvage last week. You should be able to pick it up for $5-$10. Now adding the wiring may or may not be simple, but definatyely "doo-able".

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

This is what you want. Weird, I thought this was standard. Had it in both my 2000 and my 2002

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Since I removed the ashtray to install my CB, this is where I added the third powerport-

The storage tray console does require some heating and remolding for clearance, but I really like it :thumb:

Oh and BTW, thanks for stepping out of the shadows, WELCOME :D

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

while we are on the subject .. is my truck the only one with the lighters that dont turn off. they always have power and I hate that .. :?: I also installed an extra one. just to the left of the radio in that little square assecorie thingy.. I used the top wire from the harness that was just dangling back there.. I dont know what it was for but I hacked it up.. :D :D
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2bunik wrote:... I used the top wire from the harness that was just dangling back there.. I dont know what it was for but I hacked it up.. ...
That wiring is for the rear hatch release and rear wiper control. We have the same wiring as all the utilities. Just FYI ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

ooooh hatch release.. :D wheres that :( I dont think I got that option....
:!:
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

you're not the only one. mine stay powered without ignition on.
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

i think they all have that accesory power, but its supposed to shut off prior to draing the battery all the dead.i know if you leave the interior lights on its shuts them off after awhile
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

For those who do not have the twin accessory power ports-

That is what the piece looks like. I paid $5 for this one plus Idaho sales tax.

If the wiring is under the dash panel without ports, and I don't know why it would not be, it would be a really easy way to add power ports.

5-1-2004 - Art's truck had only one port down there so we installed this one in his truck .
Really simple "plug-n-play" operation :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

alright hey joker I got the single power port available if u need one .. alright .. looks just like the one pictured above except it only have one power port...
j0ker v1.25

Thanks all

Post by j0ker v1.25 »

Hey guys, thanks for all the insight. Not sure which route I'm going to take yet. Just sort of toying around with things for now. Just installed a Music Keg (w/ FM modulator) in the center console. I must say it's pretty slick and stealth.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Thanks all

Post by barch97 »

j0ker v1.25 wrote:Hey guys, thanks for all the insight. Not sure which route I'm going to take yet. Just sort of toying around with things for now. Just installed a Music Keg (w/ FM modulator) in the center console. I must say it's pretty slick and stealth.
postpxpls... kthx.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Strange the 03s and up lost one power plug there. My 02 had both under the dash(all stay on BTW). Just strange cost cuttings.

Well if you think on the economy scale, saving 1dollar will save 1million bucks per 1million vehicles so it's a big number at that scale. On my Avalanche, the underhood light and a glove box light were deleted as well. What' stinks is that the wiring was deleted as well so it's not plug and play like on the 03 underhood light. :(

Cheers,
Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
j0ker v1.25

Re: Thanks all

Post by j0ker v1.25 »

postpxpls... kthx.
will do.
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

The pics above were helpful. However, my question is, what does the wiring harness from the accessory plugs pictured above plug into to get to the fuse box. I have removed the insulator, pulled apart my glove box, etc. and can't seem to see anywhere to plug the harness in to give the plugs power. Thanks,
[size=75]Tom (Knight) Houston, TX
2005 BlazeR2 (still have)
2013 Avalanche LTZ (Z71 front end and flares/0
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
2006 Avalanche Z71 (sold)
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Tap into something else
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do you have the dual power port panel already?

It is easier when you have the plug and the location in front of you.

The manual lists connector C223 as being for the extended cab.
I know that at least the upper portion of the dash wiring harness is from the utility since we have the rear wiper/washer switch connector. My assumption would be that the connector is taped up and in your harness as well.

If you can not find it, or if it does not exist, then you just need a positive battery connection, and a ground.

I'd check this thread for one possibility - Adding an accessory power source

- ThunderII KE7CSK
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

Henry,

I am emailing you some pics of the wiring that I took after I removed the glove box. I see the number 6370 on the big bundle of wires....No C223 in sight.

I haven't ordered the panel yet because I was trying to find out if I need to order a wiring harness. Does the manual mention what C223 connects to? Does it say where in the fuse box it hooks, if it is the inside fuse box or external, and what size fuse it uses?

I have a rear wiper/washer on my rig, so I can't tap into that one. Unfortunately, I don't have a wiring diagram for this truck. Thanks,
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

C223 is the connector number. It is part of the wiring harness and not likely to be labeled as such.

The wires exit the bundle just behind the hinge point of the glove box, about three inches to the left of the interior light. The wires are orange and black. The wires exit the wiring bundle about the same place as the courtesy lights wires.

From the point they exit the bundle, the wires are about 6" to a white male connector. This is what plugs into the connector attached to the panel.

It is not likely that it will be easy to find without the panel to know exactly where to be looking. The wires are on the back , bottom side of the bundle and exit down behind the left corner of the glovebox hinge to the panel.

I am sorry, but I have a lousy dial-up connection, and if the pictures you sent are not small I will not be able to get them. It takes several days to get some large photos. :?

Get the panel. If you don't have the connection , add one. The link above is to add an accessory power source , and has nothing to do with the wiper switch.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

Okay, I looked at the wiring harness. There were no orange and black wires exiting the bundle. The only two exiting the bundle went to the courtesy light below the dash (red plug) and the yellow plug in direction of the firewall that you see in the picture.

edited-HJ
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
holstdb

Post by holstdb »

About the accessory port thing:

-Base model trucks didn't get those at all! Just a single outlet/lighter in the ashtray.

-2003+ uplevel trucks have only one aux port under the dash because GM is cheap. They also took away the glove box light (but the holes are there for that, so you can readd.)

-All GM cars and trucks have constant 12v power on the accessory ports, they don't shut off with the key nor do they shut down after a specified time (i.e. 30 mins or whatever) Rundown protection might kick in based on voltage though?

I'm swapping in a Jimmy Diamond Edition center console which comes up to the under side of the dash and would prevent the ashtray from opening, so the Diamond Edition (and the Envoy) has an ashtray delete plate with THREE outlets (like the older 94-97's had.) So I swapped that one in.
[size=75]Dave Holst
2003 Chevy S-10 LS ext cab 2wd
loaded - Delphi INR navigation - OnStar - XM[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Got my accessory ports installed. wired one switched hot for the backup camera and two , one in the back of the center console, constant hot. so now instead of one factory I have four total and a power converter in the back under the passengers seat. Picked up the under dash panel from e-bay as one of my christmas presents to myself.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

Can you please post up details and pics of your accessory port install, wiring, etc? My buddy who was helping me with this project had a new baby so we haven't gotten back to it yet.

Thank you,
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I didn't take any photos of the install but it was farly straight foward. My 2004 does not seem to have the wire harness connection to add the port so I just splice tapped into the existing 12v lighter port for the two constant hot ports one front and one back. For the switched hot I wired into the hatch/rear wiper harness using the yellow wire for + lead and the black for ground. I can shoot some finished photos if you want but the confines of the dash precluded me from trying to get photos while I was putting everything in.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

You guys get that hatch wire to use for other things, but mine is in use for my hatch...LOL.

Yes, I would like to see some pics of the wiring.

Thanks,
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
_STUCKY
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by _STUCKY »

RaleighBlaZeR2 wrote:I looked at the wiring harness. There were no orange and black wires exiting the bundle. The only two exiting the bundle went to the courtesy light below the dash (red plug) and the yellow plug in direction of the firewall that you see in the picture.
04crewvt wrote:I just splice tapped into the existing 12v lighter port for the two constant hot ports one front and one back. For the switched hot I wired into the hatch/rear wiper harness using the yellow wire for + lead and the black for ground.
(Ignore the slight Oops! there. I sliced the brown wire with my knife while stripping the tape from the wires. Non insulated connector and heat shrink.)

holstdb wrote:-2003+ uplevel trucks have only one aux port under the dash because GM is cheap. They also took away the glove box light (but the holes are there for that, so you can readd.)
Where is a good place to connect the glove box light?

The wires for the front passenger side door switch are pretty close. Would this work?