Constant 12V power source

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

j0ker v1.25

Constant 12V power source

Post by j0ker v1.25 »

So over the weekend, I installed a Kenwood Music Keg with an FM modulator in (and under) my center console. Rather than wiring it into the fuse box (already has in-line fuses), I tapped it into the factory stereo wiring harness using T-connectors. Here's the problem. I guess the wires I tapped into only maintain power when the ingnition is on (orange and dark green). So the Keg loses its settings each time the car is shut off.

Question one: If the two wires I tapped only work with the key on, how does the factory head unit maintain its settings with the key out? Is there a constant 12V source available within the harness that I couldn't find?

Question two: Will the cigarette lighter wiring suit my needs for the constant power source (I could probably find out by trying my lighter with the car off, huh.)?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Cig. lighter/power port is 12v constant.

The hatch switch/rear wiper switch also has a 12v source that is unused.

Check for a post by AZS10Crew looking for wiring help, or a search for "hatch" should find it.

The positions and color codes are there.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
j0ker v1.25

Post by j0ker v1.25 »

HenryJ wrote:
Heres the wiring:

Pin A YEL = Accesory Voltage

Pin B DK GRN = Rear Window washer Control

Pin C GRY = Rear Window Wiper Switch Signal

Pin D BLK = Trunk Release Switch Signal

Pin E BLK = Ground

Pin F GRY Instrument Panel Lamp Fuse Supply Voltage

Henry J.
Is this the info you were referring to? Which of these is the constant?
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:!: actually I dont think any of those is constant.. I just hooked up a cig lighter to that same harness.. and the only reason I did it! was because it only had key on power. I didnt want the cig lighter to be on all the time.. however There is a cig lighter harness on the passenger side under the glove box.. This is the same place we hooked up the multiple cig lighters brule installed. That has constant power and so does the cig lighter in your ash tray.. Id use on of them ..
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You're right, I was wrong.
I thought I remembered there being an orange wire that was 12V hot at all times, but that was one of the wires that I added.

The Bravada rear wiper system wiring has an orange 12v wire. That may be what I remembered? :roll:

The yellow accessory voltage is the only one there.

Sorry for the confusion :oops:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK