stock deck

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

KJS

stock deck

Post by KJS »

Hey everybody, i am new to this forum, just got a 2003 crew cab zr5 red with the fender flares,roof rack,tube rails,bed rails and the box liner. my question is, i would like to remove the stock rds radio but i am told that if you do, you have remove the deck, but install it somewhere in your vehicle like under the seat because the computer in it needs to funtion with the truck, i was wondering if this is true and if so what are my options to replaceing the stock deck.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: stock deck

Post by Conman »

KJS wrote:Hey everybody, i am new to this forum, just got a 2003 crew cab zr5 red with the fender flares,roof rack,tube rails,bed rails and the box liner. my question is, i would like to remove the stock rds radio but i am told that if you do, you have remove the deck, but install it somewhere in your vehicle like under the seat because the computer in it needs to funtion with the truck, i was wondering if this is true and if so what are my options to replaceing the stock deck.
Hi,
I'm pretty sure that only is needed on other certain GM cars like the new Impala. I think on those models the chimes and other features are in the radio. The first kits that came out relocated the factory radio in the trunk. There is new kits now that have relays in it so you don't need the factory radio anymore.

Try here for wire kits and radio kits.
http://www.americaninternational.net They only list to 02 but in late 02 it got the similar radio that the 03 got(oversized delco they call it) so it might be the same thing as the 02 with the oversized radios.

I'll try to dig out some other links to other wire kits.
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Nope...no need for that under seat stuff. I have an aftermarket JVC in my 2003 that used to have an RDS CD player and everything still works as normal.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I thought the door, seat belt, etc. chimes were a function of the stock unit.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

my '03 is DIN and a 1/2 size (normal GM). the door chime function being provided be the CD player was in other GM models, even though the S-10 got the newer RDS CD player. Do this check: leave your keys in the ignition and open your door. If the chime comes from "somewhere around the glovebox", then you're okay. the chime is separate and don't let an installer use an expensive wiring harness. the cheap $12-$15 is the only one you need. i think there should be a thread on this already. you should do a search.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Retep wrote:I thought the door, seat belt, etc. chimes were a function of the stock unit.

Pete
I guess not. All that still works on mine.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

not on OUR trucks. on other GM vehicles (Cavalier, etc), yes. i was told that even the airbag could have issues with factory decks that were wired to all that junk when removed. :shock:
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Scott03
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Scott03 »

Just to put that myth to rest, the airbags never had connection and/or anything to do with the radio.

This has been floating around for years....mainly the cavalier forums
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

okey dokey. but the other stuff is fact. :D
-Jim