Adding factory fog lights

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Adding factory fog lights

Post by Swbari00 »

anyone know if its is easy to put in the factory foglights if you didnt get them as an option?
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It may be a "real can of worms"

If the wiring is at the front to attach to the lights, that is the easy part. Adding a new switch panel for the light control would not be too bad, IF , the wiring is there.
BUT the "kicker" is if the BCM will control them.

The BCM (Body Control Module) contains a bi-polar latching relay. It's function is to allow the momentary switch to engage the fog lights, and the BCM shuts them off for highbeam operation.

All-in-all it seems like quite a bit of work, unless everything is already there.

The easiest/cheapest, "plan B" would be to get the lense and signal assy. then just wire them to your own switch.
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon May 17, 2004 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

GO WITH PLAN B
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

there seems to be wiring for i guess foglights on the light switch panel, if so would that be easier? or still plan B. (and how much will the lens assy. cost?)
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Swbari00 wrote:there seems to be wiring for i guess foglights on the light switch panel, if so would that be easier?...
There is also wiring for the rear hatch release and rear wiper , behind the panel to the left of the radio. But the wiring to the rear does not exist.
I guess what I am saying is that there may be some parts missing for it to operate (BCM programming, front harness, etc.) some parts will be obvious, others may be less obvious.

I am sure it can be done and it may be simpler than it appears. i just hate for it to "snowball" on you. for example , we know that you need the switch panel, signal assy w/fogs , how much more?
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue May 18, 2004 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

gotcha :) thanks abunch

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ok, now that I have you talked out of it.... why don't you do some investigating, see if the wiring is all there, gather up the lights and switch, and do the conversion. Then submit a "write-up" for the mods page :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

i think i will do just that. may be a while due to funds tho. but i can investigate for free :)

NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

it would be fun to put in a OEM light panel that has the switch built in and use it inside regardless of which way you go...if that could work...

imo our fog lights aren't much to be envying...
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

yeah i would like the look of the factory switch. i also like the look of the factory lights, which is all i am really going for, not really how well they work :) i guess maybe i could just put in clear lens in place of the amber ones...

BowtieZR5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by BowtieZR5 »

does anyone know how we can make the fog lights come on all the time with the lights without having to hit the dang button EVERY time?
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

that is annoying. my wife's pontiac grand am has a toggle switch that stays on or oof that makes them come on with the parking lights and the the headlights. :?:
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

NTXCrew wrote:that is annoying. my wife's pontiac grand am has a toggle switch that stays on or oof that makes them come on with the parking lights and the the headlights. :?:
Yes it is quite annoying to have to hit the flog light switch all the time :x. I think I use my fog lights about 90% of the time the headlights are on. Our Grand Prix also has the toggle switch. Fog lights come on every time.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
shrubs2000
Crew
Crew

Post by shrubs2000 »

Retep wrote:Our Grand Prix also has the toggle switch. Fog lights come on every time.

Pete
Are you on www.glubgp.com?

...we now return you to your regularly sheduled thread...

Forrest
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

shrubs2000 wrote:
Retep wrote:Our Grand Prix also has the toggle switch. Fog lights come on every time.

Pete
Are you on www.glubgp.com?

...we now return you to your regularly sheduled thread...

Forrest
I have lurked there many times. It is a great site. I think I will register.
I have seen a nice GTX from Bellbrook in the member pages there. Is that yours?

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
shrubs2000
Crew
Crew

Post by shrubs2000 »

I have lurked there many times. It is a great site. I think I will register. I have seen a nice GTX from Bellbrook in the member pages there. Is that yours?
No, I have a Bronze Metallic stock 03 GTP . I have mods planned it just takes time and $$ which I seem to have little of both at times.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

shrubs2000 wrote:
I have lurked there many times. It is a great site. I think I will register. I have seen a nice GTX from Bellbrook in the member pages there. Is that yours?
No, I have a Bronze Metallic stock 03 GTP . I have mods planned it just takes time and $$ which I seem to have little of both at times.
Cool! 8)
2001 GT 4 door Champaign Beige. Only mods so far and probably for some time to come are: Silverstars, K&N Drop in, and disabled DRL's. Going in for window tint in a couple weeks.
I wanted a GTP, but it is the wifes car and she didn't see the need for the extra ponies and $. Glad we didn't get one with gas prices the way they are and their requirement of premium gas.

Pete
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Sorry, I guess Shrubs and I have gotten a little off topic.

Factory fog lights are nearly useless with stock bulbs, but they do look cool.
There, now we are back on topic :wink: .

Pete
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Retep wrote:Sorry, I guess Shrubs and I have gotten a little off topic.

Pete
Don't worry about getting off topic. I do it all the time! As far as the factory fog lamps go, they are about as useful as the old hood ornaments they put on cars years ago. Look cool but not good for anything else.
shrubs2000
Crew
Crew

Post by shrubs2000 »

Retep wrote:Sorry, I guess Shrubs and I have gotten a little off topic.

Pete
Where do you all put the fog lights? I have no place to put them on my 04. I have tow hooks where I think they should go. I looked into a Safarie Bar but I need a bed cover first.

GTP Stuff: We bought our GTP right after they releasesed the 04 style. Excellent rebates and they wanted to get this off their inventory. Traded in my 01 Impala. Intense racing is up in columbus so I may go up there this fall and have them put in a smaller pulley for me. I have to get a CAI, Ubend removal and colder plugs done first though.
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

link not work.
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Brad wrote:link not work.
Remove the ?

www.clubgp.com

Pete