Rear Door Speakers

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Rear Door Speakers

Post by camelott112 »

just wondering what size the speakers were in the rear doors cruthcfeild is saying 6x9 but i thought that was a little big i havent seen my crew in a while just curious thanks
brian
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

They are 6.5, bought mine from crutchfield.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

yeah thats what i got for my front doors guess im gonna have to just see what i can do i wish they would have just had an upgrade on the audio system that you could have opted to have
thanks
brian
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

u may wanna start with gettin those junk tweeters out of the dash and put something bigger in there. if im not mistaken it will hold like a 4.5 3way speaker that are rectangle they bolt right in . :idea:
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

REALLY.......hmmmm well the components came sith tweets so ill have to mount them in thinking on the center overhead to be honest and as for that it may be an option....thanks
brian
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

You can fit 5-1/4" speakers with some trimming (dremel), and even 6-1/2" with alot of trimming (and using a heat gun to deform the black ducts). I have Kicker 6-1/2" components in my dash. I would recommend getting an amp to power the front speakers. My reason is this: The tweets in the dash, and the 6-1/2"s in the doors were designed to be wired together at a resistance that is compatible with the stock radio. When replacing the tweets, you change the resistance, as well as the power requirements. Here's what I found with my stock radio (I tried it for a few minutes after I installed all of my components--before I installed my amps). The sound quality is ok, but keep your windows rolled up. If you get it loud at all, the distortion is horrible.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

yeah definately have an amp running through my head origionally i wanted all alpine but i may throw in kicker amps more bang for my buck and while im at it do some kicker subs for added boom but as far as components i have heard the infinity cperfects and the alpine comps are so so so much clearer but i may look to you for some infor on amp size and wattage that im looking at needing if you are willing to help out...i guess i could always talk to a crutchfield rep but then again you arent making money off my purchase so ill thow it at you too let me know bc if i run 6 speakers (rear door, front door, dash, tweets, all x2) then i may need more than one amp thanks but in turn you opened a whole box of questions hahaha dooomed i tell you thanks for your help,
brian
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I have a 4" Rockford Fosgate component set int he dash - I built some customer mounting plates and did a lot of cutting, and had to use a heatgun to remold the driver's side air duct to get everything to fit.

I have an aftermarket headunit that has pretty impressive power output, and pushing the dash, and doors off the front channels, and the stock rears, it'll get plenty loud with minimal distortion, as long as I use the radio's built in crossover at 100hz or higher. I had a Bazooka 10" in the back, but it was the older design where the power wires push onto the circuitboard with a spade connector, and somehow the circuitboard cracked, so the power would intermittently cut out. Will replace that down the road...
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Get a good 4 channel amp, rated at 100 watts RMS per channel to give you room to grow. Run the 4 channel off the front Pre-Outs from your head unit, and then just hook the rear speakers directly up to the rear channel of the head unit. You won't need an amp for them since they're used basically for fill in. That would probably be the easiest way to do it, and give you good results.

If you want a low priced component set, check out Kicker K series. They sound good, and they're cheap :D Plus you can mount the tweet on top of the woofer if you need to. Very handy feature.
--Walt
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

couldnt find the k's and i already have most of the components ordered just need the rear door and the subs im looking at the kicker multi channel amp on crutchfield model kx650.4 but it says i need a triway crossover WTF IS A TRIWAY CROSS OVER hahaha i like to think i know what is going on with audio components and what not but im lost there naybody???? i even read it and what it is supposed to do but i dont understand it may as well have been egyptian (no offence to any egyptians) thanks for the help in advance
brian
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Usually a tri way setup means it has 3 separate crossovers for splitting signal out to the appropriate speakers.

Low fereqs sent to the sub, midrange sent to the mid-bass speakers, and highs sent to the tweeters.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

You shouldn't need a 3 way crossover. Plus, that amp should have a built-in half decent crossover. Just run the dash off two channels, the doors off two channels, and power the rear speakers with the rear radio channels, then you won't have to worry about an external crossover, unless you want to get a 2 way crossover to fine tune the sound a bit more.
--Walt
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

ok well the components come with a adapter anyways so unless i run 2 new speakers which is still in the works i should be able to power all 6 off just the amp itself now about the subs and the amp i think im just gonna get 2 of the same you think 375 by 2 channels will be enough for 2 L7's im hoping so
that way i can put the amps behind a single seat and run a fiberglass box on either side its gonna be high scale and ill need input and advice but of those of you willing to have a single back seat im willing to be the template
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

So you're planning to do some cutting to your backseat? What size L7's? If you're using 8" L7's, 187 watts per sub should be sufficient, but I think you'll need more if you go with 10's or 12's. Exactly how much are you wanting to spend on a sub amp, and an amp for your mids and highs?
--Walt
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

well being the king of crazy ideas i drew up a fiberglass englosure for 2 12's on either side of a bucket seat unsing a steel mouting plate im gonna have one on either side of the seat angled towards the back of the fron seats money is no object got quite the truck allowance from the wife bc of the extra desert cash flow so im not worried about cost just trying not to spend more than 500 on any singel peice bc origionally i was gonna run the alpine type x subs