What the heck! Headlights just turned off!

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

What the heck! Headlights just turned off!

Post by Mat73GNZ »

Just a little background - Headlights have worked perfectly since I bought the truck. I have deleted the automatic headlights with a resistor. I have 100 watt high beams with no relay, but hardly use them, however, I did use the highbeams last night with no problems. The last time I used the truck before tonight was last night, about 24 hours ago and everything worked as it should have.

Tonight, I hop in my truck and start it up. Play with the radio a bit while letting the truck warm up. Put my foot on the brake, put it in drive, and turn on my headlights. The headlights turned on for a split second then they turned off! All fuses were checked as were the relays. Everything checks out fine, but the headlights will not work! The highbeams work just fine though :? .

While reading through the manual, it says there is a circut breaker for the headlight wiring. Where is it?

I see no reason that the headlights would do this. They worked just fine last night as they have for the last 44k miles.

I got a very hot date tommorow night and I need my truck to have headlights :x Any help would be so greatly appreciated :wink: .

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
'73 Datsun 240Z with Buick Grand National engine swap
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

maybe you just are unluky and both blew at the same time . i just ran out to get coffee this mornin and i put new clear corners and bulbs in and both arent workin im guessin both blew on mine. :x
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

jeff024 wrote:maybe you just are unluky and both blew at the same time
After tracing wiring and scratching my head for at least an hour, I figured, "maybe Jeff was right?". I am an unlucky person to begin with so I checked both bulbs and sure 'nuff... both were blown :roll: .

Now why would both headlights blow at the same time? Power surge? I sure hope this is not a sign of things to come with owning this truck :x .

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
'73 Datsun 240Z with Buick Grand National engine swap
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

AM sure we are all aware or "Murphy's law" :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

not sure why both blew on mine either mat but i ran to pepboys and picked up a set of silverstar corners and popped them in and now no probs , also they look much better there almost clear and when on they glow amber :D
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Am in a small town, have have Napa, Autozone, Advance and now a new o'reilys. Recommendations?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

f9k9 if all else fails buy online . i buy most stuff from summitt and recieve it in 2 days. also i have all those stores near me but i dont think i have ever been in any of them always hit the pepboys usually find what i need there .
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Sound advice, well received!
kauaibuilt47
Crew
Crew

Hate to dig up an old thread but.......

Post by kauaibuilt47 »

Yeah, so driving to work today I (early morning - still dark) flicked on my hi-beams and *poof* - pitch dark. Now, DRL's run fine but the "hi-beam" marker in the cab is lit. Im guessing that the double burnt bulbs in the culprit.

Anyone else have this problem?
[size=75]Never get into an argument with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.[/size]