Sizes of speakers

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Angelique
Regular
Regular

Sizes of speakers

Post by Angelique »

I want to replace all my factory speakers on my 2003 ZR5 but don't want to have to cut or modify anything to fit them. Does anyone know what the sizes are for all of the speakers and your input on which brands/models. I'm not rich but am willing to spend the money for better sound. Also, which amp do you recomend?

Thanks,

Angelique
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

If you have a Bestbuy close go there and they have a computer close to the speakers put in what truck you have and it will give you sizes for each speaker.Are you sticking with the factory Head Unit?if so you may wanna add a sub.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Angelique
Regular
Regular

Post by Angelique »

I am thinking of going for a new system also but not positive. Will probably do a sub no matter which way I decide on the system.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Just make sure you dont buy anything to fit behind the back seat before you make sure it fits we are limited to what fits behind the back seat.I havent taken the time to find 1 that fits yet so im using an old 1 that I had , it sits on the back floor in the middle .You can also try this topicAUDIO
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

Check out Crutchfield.com for information on what fits your vehicle and find product reviews. However, I wouldn't recommend purchasing much from them since they are over-priced.

-Eric H
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Eric H wrote:Check out Crutchfield.com for information on what fits your vehicle...
That didn't work.
First Crutchfield doesn't list the crew cab.
Second, the speakers that are listed for the S-10's are only for the front doors.
Third, even the speakers they have listed for the front doors are two different sizes 5.25" and 6.5".

So does anyone really know exactly what the speaker sizes are?
NTXCrew wrote:...there are two tweeters in the dash in 4x6 openings mounted on metal plates
OK, upon further research , I found a couple helpful sites. First Caraudiohelp.com's - How to Find Out What Equipment Fits Your Vehicle
This is where I found the link to Clarion's Fit Guide. While they do not list the dash speaker size ...they do list the 4dr S-10 having front speaker sizes of 6.5" and rear being 6.5"

So if this information is correct, then-
Dash 4"x6"
Front door 6.5"
Rear door 6.5"

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:
OK, upon further research , I found a couple helpful sites. First Caraudiohelp.com's - How to Find Out What Equipment Fits Your Vehicle
This is where I found the link to Clarion's Fit Guide. While they do not list the dash speaker size ...they do list the 4dr S-10 having front speaker sizes of 6.5" and rear being 6.5"

So if this information is correct, then-
Dash 4"x6"
Front door 6.5"
Rear door 6.5"
To be on the safe side, I'd pull a panel and make sure on the front doors.. I talked to a local shop that I've gotten parts (stereo) from before, they looked it up in their 'industry fit guide', and it had 5.25/6.5 with the footnote that "most units have a 6.5 opening with adapter to 5.25 speaker"..(?) So they werent sure themselves as they havent done a CC truck yet (mine soon, probably in a month or so).. They said they book all list the back at 6.5, and didnt show the dash size on teh CC at all, even though its obvious there is a speaker there :roll:
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Hj is right on the sizes I have replaced all of mine , the stock dash speakers are tweeters but a 4x6 speaker fits.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

On the door speakers, it seems that even a speaker labeled as 6-3/4" is a bit on the small side. I'm using Kicker Resolutions in each door, and I had to make mounting adapters for the front doors. It's not a big gap, but it would have prevented me from using all four screws to mount the speaker (Kinda a hangup of mine, I like to mount things securely) :D
I don't remember having much of a problem with the rears, except the overall design of the doors. The rear speakers in our trucks are just about useless in stock form, without a decent amp and EQ on them. I had to do some major adjusting on my EQ to overcome the horrible sound caused by the door's design.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Angelique
Regular
Regular

Post by Angelique »

Thank you :D , everyone for all of the info. For now I went with all Pioneer speakers, clarion amp and kicker 8"sub. This is just to get by for now. Next thing to do, maybe BL :P .
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

Angelique

You can just send all that to me for my cc.. :lol:

Did you buy a box with the 8" or are you haveing one built?
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
Angelique
Regular
Regular

Post by Angelique »

I am actually building the box myself for the sub and installing all the electrical myself. No worries guys. I worked with electronics for over 7 years.
2003 S-10 Chevy ZR5 Crew Cab
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Angelique wrote:I am actually building the box myself for the sub and installing all the electrical myself. No worries guys. I worked with electronics for over 7 years.
Are you building the box to fit the space inthe truck, or going from any plans for how the speaker size is? (does that make sense?!)

A friend locally here has built boxes for my '66 Mustang, and my '90 ProStreet Mustang.. He used some software he got online (I can find out where), that he put in the speaker info, and it gave him the best box dimentions to get the best sound, that would fit in the space. He said it even took into account the thickness of the wood he was using.

When I used to build my own boxes all the time (a long time ago), I just built it to fit the space..
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

kf6kmx wrote:A friend locally here has built boxes for my '66 Mustang, and my '90 ProStreet Mustang.. He used some software he got online (I can find out where), ...
I'd be interested in that software if you knew where to find it. :)
Thanks!
-Eric H
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]
Angelique
Regular
Regular

Post by Angelique »

It is a box that will fit behind the back seat. It is a design that someone I know who also works with auto audio gave me. I will see if I can scan it and get it posted.
2003 S-10 Chevy ZR5 Crew Cab
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Eric H wrote:
kf6kmx wrote:A friend locally here has built boxes for my '66 Mustang, and my '90 ProStreet Mustang.. He used some software he got online (I can find out where), ...
I'd be interested in that software if you knew where to find it. :)
Thanks!
-Eric H
Sure. I'll talk to him later this week and find out.. In fact, I think he emailed me a copy.. I'll have to look around, it might be in my old mail someplace!
I'll let you know
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Angelique wrote:It is a box that will fit behind the back seat. It is a design that someone I know who also works with auto audio gave me. I will see if I can scan it and get it posted.
Unfortunetly I have no space behind my seat left :roll:
I'll have to take a picture behind the seat and post it.. I do ham radio, which is really nice when you're way off the beaten path and a cell phone doesnt work anymore (I use 144 and 440mhz with reapeaters.. works like a Family Radio Service radio on steriods 8) ), and I have all the radio gear, plus my XM reciever unit mounted back there.. I have one radio to handle voice, and another radio back there handling a position tracker (kind of like the OnStar does, but can be read by anyone)..
Check out http://map.findu.com/kf6kmx-12 and it shows where my truck was last 'heard'. The tracker runs anytime the ignition is anywhere but 'off', and 10 minutes after its turned off (also makes a nice no-subscription lo-jack if someone ever stole the truck.. unless they knew the data radio was back there, it would beacon where they are the whole time they drive 8)
They had someone with a similar setup back east a few years ago that got his car back in under 30minutes from being stolen because he was able to tell the cops where the car was driving at the time..
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kf6kmx wrote:...I'll have to take a picture behind the seat and post it.. I do ham radio, which is really nice when you're way off the beaten path and a cell phone doesnt work anymore (I use 144 and 440mhz with reapeaters.. works like a Family Radio Service radio on steriods 8) )... I have one radio to handle voice, and another radio back there handling a position tracker...
Check out http://map.findu.com/kf6kmx-12 ...
This all looks very cool!

Please start a topic in the Audio / Electrical I would love to know more!

All the details on your set-up, what you did , pictures , etc...

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:
kf6kmx wrote:...I'll have to take a picture behind the seat and post it.. I do ham radio, which is really nice when you're way off the beaten path and a cell phone doesnt work anymore (I use 144 and 440mhz with reapeaters.. works like a Family Radio Service radio on steriods 8) )... I have one radio to handle voice, and another radio back there handling a position tracker...
Check out http://map.findu.com/kf6kmx-12 ...
This all looks very cool!

Please start a topic in the Audio / Electrical I would love to know more!

All the details on your set-up, what you did , pictures , etc...
I should have some time this weekend.. I'll take some detailed photos of the setup and post a topic. I'll even fire of the laptop in the truck and try and get a picture of the software on the screen :)