Cd player

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

ChevyMan6
Regular
Regular

Cd player

Post by ChevyMan6 »

I want to install my subs. But i am not quite ready to install a new cd player. It came with a stock one. Is there anyway i can run my subs off of the stock cd player or will I have to replace it.
If it ain't a Chevy run it off a levy.
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

You can use it if you go to the store and get a line-level converter. It is a little electronic gadget that you will hook up to any two speakers in the vehicle (splice it into the speaker wires...don't disconnect the speakers). I recommend the back speakers for no real reason. Then what it does is take the powered signal (probably like 20W per channel from the factory deck) and converts it to a line leve signal (with RCA plugs). Then you plug in the amplifier and hook up the subs and away you go. Most line-level converters will have a gain adjustment that needs to be made to avoid clipping (which is when the amp gets an overpowered signal and distorts badly). Some line-level converters have a light (as do some amps) to tell you when they're clipping....some don't and you just have to listen for it.

The only other option (if you don't already have the amps/subs) would be to get a powered sub (like a Bazooka tube) that has line-level inputs and just wire that to the speakers and away you go. If you don't already have the gear that would be my recommendation...several people on here have Bazookas and I think they are all happy with them.
ChevyMan6
Regular
Regular

Post by ChevyMan6 »

Thanks I am going to go looke for a line level today. I already have those speakers so i cant really go buy new ones. But I will try that out. Thanks
If it ain't a Chevy run it off a levy.
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

You can also look if your amp has line level inputs. Mine does, so I was able to hook it right up with out a converter.

-Eric H
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]
camelott112
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by camelott112 »

i know he is going to be running a fosgate amp and most of those especianny the older ones have what you are talking about eric
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Our stock head units are much clearer than the same model year Ford units, but they're still crap compared to a decent aftermarket head unit. If at all possible, get an aftermarket. Our HU's don't do good subs justice :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...