Having the dealer unlock my radio....

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

1337vending
Crew
Crew

Having the dealer unlock my radio....

Post by 1337vending »

I went into the Chevy dealership this morning(with an appointment) to have them unlock my new GM 6-disc radio that I had just put in, and after spending 30 minutes waiting for them to get to me, they begin to give me a spiel about "We cant unlock the radio, its locked to the VIN...blah blah"
So i tell them "The GM Helm manual says the radio can have the VIN Re-learned with the Tech 2 tool...." :poke: They have the tech look at it and then they tell me they need to take the dash all apart for some numbers on the radio....and that it will cost at least $120...and they'll need my truck for almost a day! :twisted:

So I take it by the GMC dealership, whose only response was "Since its not GMC and you didn't buy it here, its $85 to diagnose" :shock: It's the same truck!! :x

I finally take it by the other chevy dealer nearby, and tell them that I need to have the radio unlocked. The tech actually was fairly informative, he said that there were 2 kinds of radios, the newer ones you have to have the numbers on the tag on the radio, and the older ones can be "re-learned" with the Tech 2 tool, and then the even older ones that can be just "unlocked".

I don't think any of our trucks use the newer style of radio since they're all pretty much pre-2004, so they shouldnt have to keep your truck for half a day and tear apart the dash to unlock a radio. Just thought I might be able to help someone out...

It took them about 40 minutes, but they didn't have to tear apart my dash and they only charged me $48 to unlock it.

I'm sooo glad I do all the work on my truck myself....sheesh...i wouldnt want to deal with any of the dealers around here....and i hope I dont have any warranty work any time soon :?
[size=75]2003 Indigo Blue Crew Cab - EFILive custom tune, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rear sway bar, ZR5 wheels w/ BFG 30x9.5x15 AllTerrains

Future mods:
Single 6.5" Bazooka behind the backseat[/size]
loki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by loki »

Hey hey!!

If its the same one I had, you can find all the unlock codes on the internet. All you need is a chevy dealer number and you call the toll free number and it gives you a recorded promt. Follow it and presto you have an unlocked radio.
[size=75]I love Homer Simpsons shoes[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I would have took the bill to the 1st dealer and said Hey look stupid its unlocked
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Wow! you guys are responding to a post that is exactly one year old today. :lol:
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Steve2003 wrote:Wow! you guys are responding to a post that is exactly one year old today. :lol:

lol I didnt even look at the date it was bumped back up
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I didn't think you did Jeff.I Was just messin with ya. :D
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
loki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by loki »

Hey hey!!

Thats my fault, I'm just reading to try to catch up abit. And I like think I am Important and see my opinion on line :lol:
[size=75]I love Homer Simpsons shoes[/size]