power window

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

power window

Post by kf6kmx »

been incredibly busy at the air base and all. so I've hardly been on here..

BUT, I have a problem with my '03..
Thursday night leaving the base, I put down the D/S front window to talk to one of the gate guards that I know, when we got done bs-ing, I hit the 'up'... and nothing.. no move, no noise, no nothing..
the d/s front windoww is stuck completely down in the door and the motor isnt doing anything. i am anot sure if its the motor or the control switch..
I pulled off the control panel, but i cant find a color code wireing for the truck anywhere that tells me what wire in the harness going to the door does what.. i'd like the check the switches with my meter and possibly try manually crossing the harness to the 'up' position to see if the motor is good and the switch just went bad.. (I can do that on my Lincoln, but its powe window switch wiring is much more basic and obvious as to what does what.

Anyone have any suggestions on testing the switches/motor before i pull the door apart and try raplcemeing the motor??

The window started making a 'pop' noise when it would roll up about a week or two ago.. as it went up, and got to about the 1/2 way point, it make a quite 'pop' like something moved or slipped but the windows speed stayed steady and didnt lunge.. i dont know if the two are related at all.

thanks
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

Sorry, I can't help you with your question but just wanted to add that mine is making a popping noise also. It's been doing it for about six months now. The popping noise does not happen in the same place every time but only happens when going up. At first, it only happened when going down but now only up. Sometimes 1/3 of the way up, sometimes half way, and sometimes 2/3 of the way up.

Mine still works so I'm curious to find out what your problem is because it sounds like they are related.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Post by Qamar »

Hi

This happened with my truck also. I have recently purchased 1996 model, v-6 vortec, automatic. I one my first day had put down the D/S window glass, but it never went back. All i had done was that I had sprayed W-D 40 around the concerened switch on the driver side which keeps the window rolling up and down. Beleive me it worked like a magic. For the last two monts no problem is there. I think W-40 went inside the concerened switch and had established the electric contact.
Try it and keep us posted
Best of luck
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

mine pops also I have had it apart 4-5 times something binds when going down.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Oh Jeez, I hate reading stuff like this! It's like a curse. It means mine is going to do this soon! :(
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:Here is the Schematic for the doors
Ok, here's one for the folks here who can actually read a schematic: Is there an easy way to disable the "Express Down" mode for the drivers side window? Believe it or not, I actually don't like it and want to turn it off. I find it annoying when I just want to crack open my window just a bit and it suddenly takes off and goes all the way down.
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:Here is the Schematic for the doors
thanks!
I knew someone on here would have that (kind of suspected it would be you that did :thumb: )

now to figure out what is wrong with it..

I called the dealer (for a good laugh) to find out the motor price, $380.. called Autozone, same motor (they have to "order it from the dealer, it takes 7 to 10 days")... $70...
almost a $300 markup at the dealer... The dealers are :crazy: with their pricing...
the autozone motors work just as well.. replaced the d/s on my Lincoln LSC last year with one, works better than the original that was on it (quieter/updated gearing.. the original is '89 design gearing).
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

ok, I am offically stumped :? :? :? :? :?

i took the diagram (very helpful, thank you!) and jumped the wires using the 12v battery I use to power the laptop in my truck tracker.. it went the last 1/4" down, and reversing that it went right up like it is supposed to.. ok, fine, motor is ok, must be the switching network (switch or the auto-down box)..
so just for $%#'s and grins I put the panel back, turned on the ignition, and... the window works normally as it always did (right down to the 'pop' as it rolls up)! ?????

I dont know whether to trust it or not..
The only thing I can guess is either the 'auto down' screwed up and didnt release at the bottom of the travel, or the motors shutoff at thte botton got stuck and the jolt from the independant battery jumped it back to working??

but the $1,000,000 question.. can I trust it to work.. and if not, WHAT do I change.. everything is now checking 100% and I cant find any trace of the problem.. but if it sticks down again I cant leave it with the window wide open with all the transmitter gear I have...
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

here's an old mechanics trick......if the window stops again...at about the spot on the door panel where the window motor is in the door--hit it there with the side of your fist three to four times quickly with the switch pressed in the direction you want the window to go!!--if it's the motor this will vibrate the contacts..causing the motor to move the window!! 8) this may take one to three attempts....but i have found this to work on GM power windows!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

My d/s door switch did the same thing. Would not roll up when needed. Had it replaced once under warranty and it happened again and they replaced it again with a new motor. Both times it acted up was when it was in the down position and it began raining sideways :lol:

Both times if I stopped, turned the ignition off, then back on it would roll up and not act up for several weeks.

The dealer did not give me any of that "could not duplicate" BS. They must know of faulty switches.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

top_sgt wrote:here's an old mechanics trick......if the window stops again...at about the spot on the door panel where the window motor is in the door--hit it there with the side of your fist three to four times quickly with the switch pressed in the direction you want the window to go!!--if it's the motor this will vibrate the contacts..causing the motor to move the window!! 8) this may take one to three attempts....but i have found this to work on GM power windows!!!
i've had that work on Ford windows before.. didnt try it on the S10, if it does it again I will..
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

f9k9 wrote:My d/s door switch did the same thing. Would not roll up when needed. Had it replaced once under warranty and it happened again and they replaced it again with a new motor. Both times it acted up was when it was in the down position and it began raining sideways :lol:

Both times if I stopped, turned the ignition off, then back on it would roll up and not act up for several weeks.

The dealer did not give me any of that "could not duplicate" BS. They must know of faulty switches.
yep, mine wa sin the down position.. luckily no rain, and I was on the way home from work.. multiple stopping and starting the truck didnt help it though.. i stopped twice on the way home, then started the truck a couple times to move it into the garage, and tried the window each time with no luck.. only thing that seemed to jar it back to life was jumping it with the other battery direct to the motor wiring..
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

There is a beefy spring inside the door to aid the motor with rolling the
window up. I know on some luminas (back in 96) that spring would bind
making a popping noise. Back then just find what it is binding on and
your done. The spring is also the cause of a slow window. Anyway I
guess I am sayin just check that out and see how it goes.

Use caution if removin that spring...Offroading is much more fun with two
hands or eyes- yall get the picture.
[size=75]2002 GMC Sonoma ZR-5

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]