Speaker wire color codes

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Speaker wire color codes

Post by Pauleo »

UUUgghhh! :x I am trying to install new door speakers. Anyone know the color codes for them? Which ones are positive & which are negative???
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

LF TAN+ , GRY-
RF LT GRN+ , DK GRN-
LF DOOR BRN+ , YEL-
LR DOOR BRN+ , YEL-
RF DOOR DK BLU+ , LT BLU-
RR DOOR BRN+ , YEL- (2 DOOR DK BLU+ , LT BLU-)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Ahhhhh! Good ol' HJ to the rescue!

Thanks! :thumb:
IBSonoma
Regular
Regular

Post by IBSonoma »

My left front dash "tweeter" has red and black wires going to it.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

The dash speakers are seriesed in with the front door speakers, There should not be a set of wires running directly from the stock headunit to the dash speakers. The wires from the headunit are split out somewhere in the dash wiring.

That being said - I thought that GM kept the color coding consistent even to these speakers. Is it possible there has been aftermarket stereo in your truck before? Prior owner had work done and put the stock stuff in when it was sold, or maybe an amp in the system so that the Tweeters can be driven directly, or hooked up to a passive crossover system or something?

Look at the wiring itself - if those red and black wires have a spliced connector or crimped terminal anywhere, or a brand name printed on the wiring then it's aftermarket. If everything looks factory, then I wouldn't worry about the color.

that being said - here's my dash setup - Fosgate Fanatic series 4" and 1" tweet.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

adrenalnjunky wrote:...that being said - here's my dash setup - Fosgate Fanatic series 4" and 1" tweet.
Hey, junky! Were did you get those "tweets" & how much did they set you back? 8)
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I bought them from some onlin/ebay retialer - I can't actually remember the name anymore.

It was a set of Rockford Fosgate fanatic-series 4" components with the Tweets and crossovers - I think I paid about $85, and retial was about $140 maybe?

Looking at RF's current lineup, it appears they don't even offer a 4" coax set.

there are plenty of manufacturers out there that do - I could suggest some, but everyone's opinion is different.

Also - to do the 4" speaker like I did- it required substantial cutting and fabricating the mounting plate. I wouldn't attempt it if you haven't been heavily into that type of work before.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

adrenalnjunky wrote:...to do the 4" speaker like I did- it required substantial cutting and fabricating the mounting plate. I wouldn't attempt it if you haven't been heavily into that type of work before.
Nope. Never really have. I guess I'll just have to look for an alternate route. Thanks for the info!!