Blazer 1996 model, V-6 vortec engine, Dying Battery

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Qamar
Crew
Crew

Blazer 1996 model, V-6 vortec engine, Dying Battery

Post by Qamar »

My subject truck for the last two days is not starting up. Meaning when i crank the engine, it appears the battery is almost dead. The question is that the colour shown in the AC Delco battery is Green. It is an indicator that the battery is fully charged. I had also cleaned and tightened up both the terminals of the battery.
Question is that If the above mentioned battery is giving the green colour through its tranparent glass window. Is it a reliable source or tool or just a fake information.
Anyone having the same problem? Well i have changed the battery and now there is no problem left over in the starting of the truck.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Blazer 1996 model, V-6 vortec engine, Dying Battery

Post by barch97 »

Qamar wrote:Is it a reliable source or tool or just a fake information... Well i have changed the battery and now there is no problem left over in the starting of the truck.
Looks like you answered your own question. :lol:

You might try charging the old battery and see if it will hold the charge. There may have been a short in the system slowly draining it and the replacement has a stronger charge to begin with. Don't wanna shorten the life of the new one. So, if there's a short, you wanna know about it and get it fix0red.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I've had 2 stock GM batteries die in less than 40k miles. On 1 of them the eye was still green, but it had an internal short which prevented it from starting the truck. The stock batteries do not handle vibrations very well, and are prone to several different failures. If you ever need a new battery again get the Optima Red Top. I still have my 3rd GM battery in case I ever need a back up for the Optima (not likely though). :roll:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Batteries designed with flat plates rarely last more than five years at best. Sealed batteries may live a little longer since they are less prone to sulphation.

The spiral design with the wicking action of the fiberglass insulator , prevents the vibration damage that occurs with the plate and grate type standard batteries, as well as decreasing the sulphation that occurs in the airspace.

I have had really good luck with the Delco batteries in the fleet. Much better than NAPA, or Interstate.
I run the Optima's in my personal vehicles, when time comes to replace the stock Delco battery. My stock Delco still lives , and is going strong in the wife's Cavalier. It is coming up on the five year mark now , so it's days may be coming to an end.

Just some food for thought when you decide to replace.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Post by Qamar »

I wanted to thanks all of you for your feedback.