window switches

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

tzdevill

window switches

Post by tzdevill »

has anyone had issues with there locking up. I went to an autox the other day and rolled tdown to pay to get in. Then it would roll back up.

didnt know if it was chronic problem or just my luck
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This may be a problem that is just starting to rear it's ugly head.

My rear window would not roll down a while back. At first I thought I had it locked out, but that was not the case. I switched the lock off then on, and hit the button a couple times. I am not sure if something that I did made it start working, or if it was just dumb luck.
There may be a contact issue in the switch, BCM problems, motor, relay, on and on. Until it fails I have no way of knowing what happened.

The 4wd switches have had problems in the past, so i would probably suspect the armrest switches first. Perhaps a disassembly, clean and lube would be the answer?
That is where I plan to start , should it become a problem.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jeff
Crew
Crew

Post by Jeff »

Yes, what is happining is that it gets caught in the weather molding, and the safety clutch assembly starts to slip. If you play with the window molding a bit, it will work fine. I had fits with this untill I finally got the top of the window to quit catching on the weather molding.
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

my driver side front window started hanging up 2 days ago I have a appointment to get it fixed under warranty Friday. Mines not sticking on the weather moding either. I can roll mine down 1/4 or 1/2 way down and then try to roll it right back up and it will just sit there and do nothing. If I let it sit for about 30 sec's it will start working again. Since Im still under warranty Im just going to let the stealership fix it for me.

The window motors dont have a clutch. They do have a plastic cog gear that will shear sometimes. There is also a contact switch in the base of the motor that acts kind of like a circuit breaker. My last s-10 power window would sometime stop working but if I unpluged the harness from the motor and pluged it right back up it would work fine for about a week then stop again. I pulled the motor apart and the contact switch (witch looks like points in an old distributor had some corrosion built up on them so I used some emery cloth and smoothed them down and never had a problem with the window again.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
tzdevill

Post by tzdevill »

let me know what comes out after going to the stealership mine should be under warranty also but it has damn new 35k on it

oh well glad i work at a junk yard
Don
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

dead window....

Post by Don »

Hey Guys...I've experienced something similar with my drivers side window...a couple of times I've rolled it down and it wouldn't roll back up....I thought the same thing as HJ and tried all the locks switches and nothing...So I thought about those freeking computer problems I'm dealing with at times and thought....re-boot....hahahaha... So I just cut the switch off. And the started the truck back up and BINGO...the window rolled up....so....I'm thinking electrical sensor relay something along that line....it's so sporadic its hard to pin down....
I hope we can narrow it down though...will post anything I find...

Thanks to all who make this site the best going....
[size=75]It was just working....
02 ZR5 added tint to front windows,Huskys in the pan and Ultra X bed liner,VentVisors.
Bilstein shocks all around..
Hope to raise it up someday..[/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

My driver side window seems to be fixed. I noticed before that if you rolled it down and held the switch even after the window was down you could hear a faint clicking comming from the switch. I didnt say anything about that when I took it to the stealership yesterday, I just wanted to see what they would say it was. Anyhow they put a new switch in and after repeted attempts to make the window stick it worked fine every time. Before I could make it stick by holding the switched pressed for a cpl of seconds after the window was fully down and it wouldnt roll up till you left it alone for about 20 or 30 secs. So far so good. If I have any more problems Ill let you guys know.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

well after about 3 weeks or so my window has started acting up again. This time I went back and looked at it with the tech. This guy couldnt find a short on lawn mower.. Good grief. I wasnt even exactly sure what it was but I could see that the rivet that holds the arms together where they crossed was just about out. Another tech came over we talked for a min and disconnected the windo from the regulator and it is binding plus the motor has about worn its self out because of this. So they have a new regulator, arm assy, and motor on order and are replacing all of it on Thursday morning when I get off work.

If any of you guys are having sim. problems get it checked out if your still under warranty. Could be expensive if you wait to long.