Trouble with stock '02 6 CD changer RDS system.

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Trouble with stock '02 6 CD changer RDS system.

Post by F9K9 »

Today I was in some pretty rural areas and had difficulty keeping a radio station tuned in. I decided to listen to the CDs I had loaded in my stock 6 CD player :D

I hit the "CD/AUX" button and "notta", Zip", "Zero"........nothing :(

I knew I had CDs in there but, hadn't played them much in the last two months. I started trouble shooting and thought that some of the gals at work (I leave my keys in the ignition because it is an ultra secure parking lot) removed my CDs. :lol:

I hit "Load" nothing happens. I hit "eject" and nothing happens :(

No lights, no sounds....nothing! All I have in upper left of the display is the CD symbol and the usual 123456 following it.

Radio and clock works as they should.

Has anyone heard of this happening? Please do not tell me to upgrade because the stock unit is junk. It sounds okay to me and I prefer to put mod money elsewhere or into the gas tank :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrazyChaz »

The same thing happened to me on my 04 Silverado, I tried everything and I couldnt get the 6 disc cd player to work. I took it to the dealer, they looked at it and found 7 cds total in it(fixed under warranty)! I know it wasnt me, so needless to say my fullsize stays locked and its off limits till some one comes forward :x Okay maybe that wasnt alot of help sorry :lol:
[size=75]2003 S-10 Crewcab Dark Metallic Green*Hidden Hitch Class 3 Trailer Hitch*Monro SensaTracs*Airaid Intake*Poweraid TBS*Custom Dual Exhaust*Tranny Cooler*Buffalo Stainless Step Bars*Hunter Grill Brush Guard*Delta Diamond Plate Tool Box*Bed Rhino Lined*APC Clear Corners*Hi Beam Mod*LT235/75/15 BFG All Terrains*Full Skid Plates with Transfer Case Done by SkidZ.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It was off some help and something I hadn't thought of :D

Unfortunately, I'm the only one that drives it and have no one to blame. :lol:

I don't even know how long it hasn't been working. It's a long story but , I guess I will find out how good my extended warranty actually is. :shock:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrazyChaz »

I forgot to mention my dealer didnt really fix my radio, they had to take it out and send it off to be fixed(took about 3 weeks to get it back :cry: ).
So be prepared to stare at a empty space in your dash for awhile, but it was covered under the warranty if that makes you feel any better
[size=75]2003 S-10 Crewcab Dark Metallic Green*Hidden Hitch Class 3 Trailer Hitch*Monro SensaTracs*Airaid Intake*Poweraid TBS*Custom Dual Exhaust*Tranny Cooler*Buffalo Stainless Step Bars*Hunter Grill Brush Guard*Delta Diamond Plate Tool Box*Bed Rhino Lined*APC Clear Corners*Hi Beam Mod*LT235/75/15 BFG All Terrains*Full Skid Plates with Transfer Case Done by SkidZ.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Again, thanks alot!
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

I Had My Radio Replaced Under Warrenty Also, It's The Single CD/ Cassette Player.
It Would Change Fm Stations By Itself, Volume Would Randomly Change Levels And Other Weird Glitches.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Jim

Post by Jim »

gocntry wrote:I Had My Radio Replaced Under Warrenty Also, It's The Single CD/ Cassette Player.
It Would Change Fm Stations By Itself, Volume Would Randomly Change Levels And Other Weird Glitches.
Mine did that I fixed it myself...I turned off the RDS, the rds automatically changes the unit with hidden signals. To turn it off I think you told in the AM FM switch until it beeps. Sorry to get off CD player subject , but the radio thing really had me puzzled I was ready to take it in until I studied the manual three times.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jim wrote:...I turned off the RDS, the rds automatically changes the unit with hidden signals. To turn it off I think you told in the AM FM switch until it beeps. Sorry to get off CD player subject , but the radio thing really had me puzzled I was ready to take it in until I studied the manual three times.
Not a problem :D

Before I took a microscope to my extended warranty and discovered I was covered. I had looked and looked on Ebay and couldn't find a unit similar to mine and was getting a little concerned :(

I just keep learning and am grateful for any comments. :D
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

if it is covered by your waranty....go for it!!!!! it would worth it to be without it for a couple of weeks to get a new one!!!!! :)
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

top_sgt wrote:if it is covered by your waranty....go for it!!!!! it would worth it to be without it for a couple of weeks to get a new one!!!!! :)
Well, I had done a google on "American Guardian" Warranties and wasn't to optimistic because I found all kinds of negative reports on them :(

I ran into the gal (on a smoke break) who's hubby is the service manger at my adopted dearlership and she advised that her hubby and the owner or ceo is good friends with her husband. So, will find out next week.

I thought that I would try, as a last ditch option. to just unhook the battery over nite and see what happens :lol:
holstdb

Post by holstdb »

Unplug both radio fuses in the dashboard fuse panel and plug them back in. Your CD player should function again.
[size=75]Dave Holst
2003 Chevy S-10 LS ext cab 2wd
loaded - Delphi INR navigation - OnStar - XM[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

holstdb wrote:Unplug both radio fuses in the dashboard fuse panel and plug them back in. Your CD player should function again.
Thanks and welcome to the forum :wave:

The dealer replaced the unit under my extended warranty and it took about 3 months to get my CDs back from the service center they sent the unit to.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I can not think of a single mod that I have done that has gone smoothly :bonk:

Tonight, I decided to install the XM radio that I bought from JimmyDiamond. The install was pretty straight forward and the XM Radio works well. I tried to test everything before reassembling the dash and now my stock RDS AM/FM/CD changer displays "PLAYER ERROR".

I unhooked the negative battery terminal during the install, Head unit was disconnected to connect the feed from the modulator to the antenna input at the back of the stock unit. Power was restored with the stock head unit disconnected to locate a 12V acc hot wire. Head unit was reconnected when I got the "PLAYER ERROR" displayed. AM/FM/XM works fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reed
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

holstdb wrote:Unplug both radio fuses in the dashboard fuse panel and plug them back in. Your CD player should function again.

I only found one fuse, marked #19 for the radio. The label on my cover listed #20 as a 25 amp for a "AMPF" but, my actual fuse was a 2 AMP. Anyway, pulled them both out again and problem was solved :wink:
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

When I had my 2002 S-10 I removed the stock single CD and installed a 6-disc from a 2003 that was a take out. It worked fine and then suddenly wouldn't load CD's anymore. Truck was still under warranty and I took it into the dealer and they ordered a brand new unit and replaced it. :D
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

BTW, glad you got the XM installed!!! :cool:
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

f9k9 wrote:

I only found one fuse, marked #19 for the radio. The label on my cover listed #20 as a 25 amp for a "AMPF" but, my actual fuse was a 2 AMP. Anyway, pulled them both out again and problem was solved :wink:
Have been driving the CC on a regular basis since my heep is down waiting on a custom drive shaft. I bought a couple new CDs today after attending a concert last night. I have not played any CDs in it since our Moab trip six months ago (gawd, has it been that long?). Got the same PLAYER ERROR today and I thought it sounded familiar. :?: Performed a SEARCH , low and behold, there was my answer. I am glad I documented it with detail. I disconnected the battery and pulled one fuse, during lunch and still had the problem. Now, I know which ones to pull again.

Edit-didn't fix it. Loads, ejects, tries to randomly play but, getting the player error

Pulled the fuses and disconnected battery. Will leave it over night on the slight chance that might work. :?:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Well, that didn't work. Guess I will have to look for alternatives. :x
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

f9k9 wrote:Well, that didn't work. Guess I will have to look for alternatives. :x
I just happen to have the stock head unit from my 03 sitting in a closet in the basement. I can't remember whether it's the 6-disk or the single disk (part number on the tag is 15091316), but it's yours if you want it. Just pay shipping or come and get it. 8)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

PM sent and ty, Bro!