Cleaning the computer under the hood

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Cleaning the computer under the hood

Post by BADs Crew »

I detailed out my engine compartment a few weeks ago and it looks pretty good. I used Eagle One Mag cleaner for non powder coated wheels to brighten up the aluminum parts like the AC drier and fittings but my computer is oxidized and looks like crap under there now. Has anyone ever buffed this thing up or painted it? Also the alternator looks crappy too. Anything I can do to that other than replace it?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The computer housing and the alternator are both aluminum, so I would imagine any aluminum cleaner should work, but I would be very careful since you don't want to get any of this stuff inside the electronics. When you clean aluminum with any type of chemical you want to make sure that the surface is cool and not hot, because most chemicals will stain aluminum if it's hot, and you will only make it look worse than before you started. :wink: Another option would be to polish the aluminum, and then use a sealer like the stuff ZOOPS make which will keep the polished parts looking good for about 2 years before needing to be re-coated. :D As far as painting, I would only use a black heat dispersant paint on the alternator since it does get very hot. If you use regular paint then your alternator may overheat and fail because it won't be able to cool itself sufficiently.

Steve
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Thanks Steve
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]