Insulator with Power Plugs

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Insulator with Power Plugs

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

Some things were better left alone by GM. My 2000 BlaZeR2 came from the factory with three power plugs. I think all S-10 based vehicles did at that time. The shifter was also column mounted, giving me a storage area for CDs and a nice big storage area under the middle of the dash.

However, in our 2005 BlaZeR2, the shifter is floor mounted and all of my coveted storage space is gone. The cupholders were also much better in the 2000. These don't like to let go of drinks and the floor mounted shifter gets in the way of both drinks and plugging stuff in to the power outlet. For some strange reason, GM removed all but one of the power plugs in the 2004 and 2005 models...I used to have three, but now there is only one where the cigarette lighter usually goes.

It appears that the center insulator panel is what is different. The extra two plugs are on the right side of that panel. Has anyone changed this panel on their rig? How difficult is it to wire up the extra two plugs? Is the wiring already there to plug it into, or does it need rewiring? Does anyone have any pics?

Lastly, what is the GM part number and where is the cheapest place to get one? Does it include both of the accessory plugs?

Thanks,

Tom
[size=75]Tom (Knight) Houston, TX
2005 BlazeR2 (still have)
2013 Avalanche LTZ (Z71 front end and flares/0
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
2006 Avalanche Z71 (sold)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

Yes,

There is one in the middle of the truck/blazer, and then there are two of them set off on the passenger side...some S-10's have one and others have two extra power plugs. Difficult to stick a three prong adapter in with a floor shift, and the factory ones look factory. Therefore, they are much cleaner and less obtrusive. I think they got rid of the extra plugs in 2002 or 2003 (cutting costs).

I think the part number might be
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

Here is a pic of the two plugs...notice on the right side of the pic at the bottom of the dash to the left of the glove box are two extra plugs?Image

Added img tags -HJ
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

im with ya on this 1 I only had 1 for the lighter so I added another 1
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

Some S-10s and Blazers come with just the lighter. Some have the lighter and one extra plug on the passenger side. Some, like my 2000, have the lighter and two extra plugs. I do not have my 2000 anymore, so I can't see how it should be wired under the insulator. If anyone can see the wiring for theirs and let me know whether the same wiring is used for the lighter and both plugs or I have to buy another harness to install in my 2005, I would be greatly appreciative.

Jeff, I am glad to know that someone else has done this. Would be interested in hearing more about your experience. Here is what my research turned up as far as part numbers. However, I am not sure if I need to get an additional wiring harness or if it uses the same one used for the center lighter.

1) Center Insulator panel below dash with molded cutouts to install extra plugs (#15177931)

2) Wiring harness (#12182191)

3) 2 Lighter receptacles (#10202970)

4) 2 Lighter plugs (#12385528)

Thanks,
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I put 1 on my driverside to hook my XM to ,I just tapped the fuse box so it would turn on with the key cause the lighters always hot
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

Thank you f9k9 for posting those. The pics above which were taken when I still had my 2000 BlaZeR2 should help to clarify what I am referring to. I know I need the insulator panel plus two receptacles and two power plugs.

My biggest question revolves around what is under the insulator...the wiring. I do not know how the stock cigarette lighter is wired and how the two extra outlets are wired so they all work together.

There is a wiring harness (#12182191) listed in the GM parts catalog. However, I do not know if this is the wiring harness for all three plugs, just for the stock lighter, or just for the two accessory plugs. So, I don't know whether or not to buy the wiring harness when I buy the rest.
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

NP. I had trouble with pics and still do when I joined here.

My '02 has the two aux power ports and I had assumed incorrectly that all later models did. :D

I had read in some S-10 forum that the '05s were made due to a surplus of blazer frames. After your ordeal with wheels I am beginning to think that you are going to have difficulty in any area because GM may have just tried to use whatever they had to complete the final year's run of S-10s.

You just might have to resort to using relays to activate your power ports but then again, most of our crews are wired just like the utilities (Blazers).

I hope you aren't but the '05s might end up just being a basturd child. I really do not know enough to help you and electricial is one of my many weaknesses :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

Thank you for your help. The guy from Chevy called me these days and they are talking to the selling dealer to see what gives.

From what I can see my Blazer probably was built from spare parts. However, the insulator looks like it should fit. Wiring is still my biggest concern. Has anyone actually unscrewed the insulator and seen what is behind there...the wiring from the lighter to the wiring harness and then to the extra plugs?
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

RaleighBlaZeR2 wrote:...Has anyone actually unscrewed the insulator and seen what is behind there...the wiring from the lighter to the wiring harness and then to the extra plugs?
You REALLY need to read this thread - Multiple Cig. Lighters? ( power ports )
We added one to Art's truck.

:roll: Been there ... done that. :lol:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

Thanks HenryJ,

I can see everything in your pics except the wiring harness. Do you have pics of the actual wiring harnesses that the lighter and two power plugs are actually connected to the power with? I just crawled up under the dash of my 2005 to take some pics. There is only one wire from the back of my lighter to the power. No room to plug in anything else on that one. I am wondering if it is the same kind of plug.

I am still having some trouble with the picture posting stuff. Could you please post them up for me here f9k9?

Thank you,
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

Thank you f9k9,

Now everyone can see what I have been talking about. As you can see, my truck only has a wiring harness for one outlet. I appreciate your posting those again.

HenryJ,

Now that you can see the wiring harness, can you tell me if the wiring harness you used will directly plug into the same plug? Did it have three connectors...one for each of the three plugs?

Thanks again!
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I looked up the wiring for a 2005 Blazer and it shows 2 power outlets in addition to the cigar lighter. If you save the following image and enlarge it on your PC, it may help you.

TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

f9k9,

Thank you for the wiring diagram. You guys are great!!

From this wiring diagram it looks as though instead of one single wiring harness, the accessory outlets use their own harness and wire directly to the fuse block where they are hot at all times.

I just removed my glove box and the insulator under the steering wheel. So far no signs of anything to plug in the accessory wiring harness. I looked at the fuses and it says fuse 13 is aux power, but there is no fuse in there. Does anyone know which fuse is used for the extra power plugs? Does anyone have their rig apart right now that could tell me where the wiring harness plugs in?

HenryJ,

I have been studying the picture from the other forum you sent me carefully. It looks like the extra wiring harness for the two accessory power plugs plug into something else on the right side. What did you plug that harness into in Art's truck to get power to the two accessory outlets? Do you have any pics of that?

Now I guess I need to figure out what fuses they plug into and where the wiring harness is that this one plugs into. Does anyone know how they are wired up to the fuse box?

Thanks again,
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

We are getting ready to wire the PIAA lights up this weekend. While things are torn apart I want to see about wiring up the extra plugs.

It seems that I have a different wiring bundle than the older ZR2s. Therefore, I guess I have to wire up the auxiliary plugs from scratch. I have not gotten the auxiliary wiring harness for the plugs yet. However, since the dash is going to be torn apart for the lights I was hoping to run some wires for the aux plugs.

I am looking for some guidance, pics, etc. on the best way to do this. Can someone please help using the wiring diagram above to tell me what to do regarding the running the actual physical wires? Thanks,
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:...take loose that screw in the bottom right corner, pull down and then out to expose the rear of the fuse panel. There are unused / open connections to attach the wire to. soldering them is the best way to go , but crimping is an option for a low amperage connection.

Run the wire under the sill plate, kick panel and up from underneath the dash. you will find a bolt at the bottom left of the dash, under the lower dash cover the is used as a ground. Then poke the wire up into the back of the fuse panel from just in front of the e-brake mechanism.

When complete the installation should be invisible.
The post

- ThunderII KE7CSK