No rear turn signal ( SOLVED !!)

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

No rear turn signal ( SOLVED !!)

Post by BADs Crew »

In the past weeks my truck has been nothing but problems. I had new brakes all the way around and new tires. The Monday after that my truck just dies on the way to work like I turned off the key. On a tow truck it goes and I get a rental car for the day. (Full size Dodge Durango with 2000 miles on it). I have the rental for a total 4 hours and I get a call my truck is fixed. My mechanic said I had a loose ground wire under the hood.

Three days after that my heater core starts gurgling like your stomach after a big mexican dinner. I get that repaired after 2 flushs and $170.00.... Now for the rest of the story.

I am outside my office today giving myself lung cancer and one of my service guys pulls in. While he's getting his paper work out of his truck the wind blows the front passenger door of his F-350 Crew open and creams the right rear door of my crew. I went off!!, my truck didn't have a dent on it until now, not even a car door ding. I looked at my door and he got it good. big dent and a crease about 4" tall. This bugs me so I go down to the Dent Doctor and let them go to work on it. 45 min. and $95.00 later I'm on my way, It turned out great.

Now everything is good, the truck runs great and no dents, so back to work I go. I get half way home from work after a trip to York PA. and I notice my right flasher is flashing fast. I figured it was a burnt bulb and stop in to get one from my mechanic. I change the bulb and it still doesn't work. My mechanic says its has a broken or loose wire. I told him about the Dent Doctor thing and how they wedged my door skin apart through the window channel and asked if he thought they broke a wire off inside the door and caused my tail light problem. He said that they are on a different circuit. It just seams odd to me that it was on the same side of the truck and they where just down inside my door with the metal rods pushing on the dent. Whats your thoughts? Could it be in the door? Are they on a different circuit?
Last edited by BADs Crew on Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nope, not related to the door. Look for the ground wire near the bumper bracket bolts. Make sure it is firmly connected. One member here found his broken loose. and some have forgotten to reattach it during the body lift.

A search should reveal pictures and the whole story.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Thanks HJ I'll look there tomorrow. I will check where they taped into my wiring when they put on my shell also. The shop can't get to me until Monday.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The tails are grounded on both sides. here is the thread- blinker going fast *solved*
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Thanks HJ...... Hey Jeff do you still have those pics. It just says Image.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I will check but I think I got rid of them when I fixed it but if not I will retake some of that grounds location
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I just looked I dont have them I will get you some new 1s in the morning
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Morning? You don't have a flash on your cam? Just kidding.

Thanks for your help. :)
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I could but Its cold as hell outside as im sure your aware of if youve been out in the past hour or so :)
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Well I found both grounds at the rear bumper. I pulled them both loose and cleaned them up than reinstalled, still not luck. I tested the ground at the socket and its find. The green wire to socket has no power when my turn single is on. I checked the green at the end of the main harness on the drivers side and have no power there, I also used my multi tester and was able to check the rear wiring harness for broke wires. All is good there. Following the harness up the frame rail the harness splits at the cross member. I cant see the wires but found no damage to the harness. I continued to follow the main harness up to the front wheel well and this is where I thought I had it.

The harness had touched up against the manifold and burnt. I pulled it apart and found that this is where my mechanic found the short. Check this area on your trucks. There is not a lot of room, its at the bottom corner of the drivers inner wheel well,you can flip up the rubber dust flap at the back side of the wheel well and see it. It has metal heat tape around it.

I traced the harness to the fuze center then pulled the fuze panel loose and follow the wire rite up to the harness plug. I can't find anything wrong with the harness, I did manage to open the harness rite under the drivers door and test the green lead there but it had no power.

I am stumped , I didn't want to start riping the wire harness open because I'm not sure the path the green wire takes. I could not see the wiring on the front markers and I'm not even sure how you pull the front lights.

How do you pull the passenger side kick panel? I think the flasher is behind it by the sound. At this point I'm stumped. Guess it goes back to the shop on Monday. :twisted: Here's the photo of the burnt harness. The mechanic had just taped it but now it has new loom and heat tape. There was only one white wire than had a small part of the cover melted to the copper.

jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I will run out and get U some pics of where mine was a problem now BRB
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

ok this is the wire I had problems with located at the rear right of the truck

and this is the ground on the left side

BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Yep those are the ones I took off and cleaned all the contact points including the frame. I tested the ground wire for breaks from there to the sockets. Mine has 3 wires on the passenger side because of my cap lighting and trailer wiring. I think I have an open hot wire. The front ones flash so I wouldn't think it would be the flasher or switch. I don't know if there is a relay I'm missing. I only have a factory wiring manual for the 92 model but the wiring is different. There are only 2 wires to the back lights on the early models. I worked on it from 8am to 3pm. Its drove me nuts. :bonk: Some people never use the signals but I use mine on every turn. Dang I have caught myself using them on sharp bends in the road.

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics Jeff.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

no probblem
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Did you swap bulbs to confirm the bulb is not defective?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Yes and I put new Long Life bulbs in both sides. I know my right one will be extra long life if I don't get if repaired.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Let us know what it was when you find it.

Have you tried the hazard flashers? Do they function properly?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

is it only the 1 side not working?
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

No the Hazard doesn't work either. You bet I will let everyone know. I wouldn't want anyone to suffer through this. It was freezing out there today while I layed on my back in the stone driveway. I was :twisted: .............. But you know, I drove down to get us a pizza and I still love that freaking Crew Cab.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Hey... NASCAR drives don't turn right. :lol:
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

jeff024 wrote:is it only the 1 side not working?

Yes...... Right Rear
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Stupid question, but have you checked the fuses inside? I know when I attached my trailer wiring harness, one of my back lights went out. It was only one so I immediately thought bulb and changed it out only to find out that it was on its fuse.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

border man wrote:Stupid question, but have you checked the fuses inside? I know when I attached my trailer wiring harness, one of my back lights went out. It was only one so I immediately thought bulb and changed it out only to find out that it was on its fuse.

Yes 10 amp right fuze. I even checked the left one. Its just the right rear blinker. The brake and tail lights work.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hazards not functioning as well tends to eliminate an issue in the column.

The right rear turn signal fuse is good , right?

It is in the upper left quadrant of the underhood electrical center.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

No its the lower left.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The lower left is the fuse for the front turn signals. There are four fuses. One for each turn signal.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

:shock: I'll look.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

HJ I owe you a beer !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never knew there was 4 of them. I layed out there all day. Well my electrical system got a once over. Again this site has help me out you guys are great. :thumb: :thumb:
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

thats what friends are for :)
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

For Sure..... BTW the fuzes for the rear on my 2001 are in the center next to the bolt hole. I never saw them I saw right and left and it never dawned on me there was one for each bulb.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

BADs Crew wrote:HJ I owe you a beer !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never knew there was 4 of them. I layed out there all day. Well my electrical system got a once over. Again this site has help me out you guys are great. :thumb: :thumb:
HJ!!!! :twisted: I'm the one who brought up the suggestion :P You owe me a beer :cry:
border man wrote:Stupid question, but have you checked the fuses inside? I know when I attached my trailer wiring harness, one of my back lights went out. It was only one so I immediately thought bulb and changed it out only to find out that it was on its own fuse.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It was definately a community effort :cheers: a round for the house is in order!

Glad you found your problem, and took the time to put all the details here. I'm sure someone will find the information useful in the future. :thumb:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

border man wrote:
BADs Crew wrote:HJ I owe you a beer !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never knew there was 4 of them. I layed out there all day. Well my electrical system got a once over. Again this site has help me out you guys are great. :thumb: :thumb:

HJ!!!! :twisted: I'm the one who brought up the suggestion :P You owe me a beer :cry:
border man wrote:Stupid question, but have you checked the fuses inside? I know when I attached my trailer wiring harness, one of my back lights went out. It was only one so I immediately thought bulb and changed it out only to find out that it was on its own fuse.

Sorry Border Man I owe you all a beer, I didn't pick up that there was 4 fuzes. believe me if you guys where here there would be beer all around. I'm celebrating with a cup of fresh coffee though.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

now your blinker will work in the snow we might get I hope anyway
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

jeff024 wrote:now your blinker will work in the snow we might get I hope anyway

Bring it on !!! Thats the reason I was on my truck at 8 this morning. I didn't want to be working on it in the snow. The only thing I forgot to check was the 4WD on the Blazer. I ask the other half if she has tested it lately and you know what her answer was. :shrug:
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

same problem.... except mine is the left side.
already checked ground wire, fuses, bulb, emergency flashers..... im about to give up and take it to the dealer

any other ideas?
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

kermit wrote:same problem.... except mine is the left side.
already checked ground wire, fuses, bulb, emergency flashers..... im about to give up and take it to the dealer

any other ideas?
You do know that there is a ground on both sides in the rear?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

yes, the ground is fine....

of couse, i wasn't thinking when i checked the fuses and turns out i looked at the wrong one....

fuse was bad. just replaced it. all is good again.

thanks
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I did the same thing . I was checking the wrong fuze but if I had found the fuze bad as soon as it happen I would have never looked at all the wiring and found the source of the short. Glad you found your problem.
hubof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by hubof »

I'm having the same problem. But I am at work and can't do anything about it until I get home. I have checked all of the fuses already and checked the bulbs. But who knows I might have missed a fuse. Wish me luck.
[size=75] 02' Sonoma Crew Cab ZR5 - 2" BDS Body Lift - Bilstein Shocks - 31x10.5" Wildcountry XTX Sport - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights (soon) - Custom Flowmaster Dual Exhaust - Kenwood MP3/CD Player - 8" Bazooka Sub w/ builtin amp - custom grill insert - blue instrument panel - K&N Cold Air Intake[/size] -