Wiring Hints

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Wiring Hints

Post by rlrnr53 »

I'm new here, but I have worked for 30 years on snow equipment and would like to offer some advice on wiring. Most people that do their own troubleshooting on wiring,use a test light, which is ok if you don't start poking holes in the insulation of wires. the problem with this is when around a salty environment, the salt will get in the wire and corrode the wires to the point of failure. The remedy is 1, check at wiring connectors, or 2 when you puncture the insulation, to use either a product such as Liquid Electrical Tape, some type of sticky uncured rubber, or if you can get it over a wire, a piece of heat shrink tubing with a sealer inside of it. For splicing a cut wire, heat shrink connectors are the only way to go, as is using a dielectric grease in all connectors when opened as this adds additional protection is the seals of the connector are nicked or broken.
Hope this helps someone avoid wiring problems down the road.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

One more reason to chuck the old test light in the dumpster is that in todays computer controlled electronics , the circuits may not be able to handle the load the test light adds. It is best to use a multimeter.

Thanks for sharing and :wave: welcome!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

Welcome rlrnr53!! Thats why I love my Fluke!! No damage to other components.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

HenryJ wrote:One more reason to chuck the old test light in the dumpster is that in todays computer controlled electronics , the circuits may not be able to handle the load the test light adds. It is best to use a multimeter.

Thanks for sharing and :wave: welcome!
Exactly what I was going to say :D

I have had to fix several computers that had been worked on by a tech using a test light.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...