fuel guage stuck between E-1/4

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

nuddybuddy
Regular
Regular

fuel guage stuck between E-1/4

Post by nuddybuddy »

I have a 04 CC. I thought it had 1/8 tank drove it 25 miles and ran out of gas. I read the post about the codes. can I fix it myself or do I have to take it to a dealer.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I would take it to a dealer. But be prepared, you may never get it fixed correctly.... I don't know if our vehicles are cursed with this problem or what, but I've gone through everything. PCM reflashed, enter fuel sender assembly replaced, etc... Mine still gets to 1/4 then drops in 5 miles...
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

wamason wrote:I would take it to a dealer. But be prepared, you may never get it fixed correctly.... I don't know if our vehicles are cursed with this problem or what, but I've gone through everything. PCM reflashed, enter fuel sender assembly replaced, etc... Mine still gets to 1/4 then drops in 5 miles...
Mine is still the same way after several repairs. It is fairly accurate above 1/4 tank , but under 1/4 it's kind of a guess. :roll: I have never run out of gas without the low fuel light coming on first, but I try to never let the gas fall below 1/4 anyway just to be safe and to help prolong the life of the fuel pump. :wink:

Steve
nuddybuddy
Regular
Regular

Post by nuddybuddy »

does any of your guys fuel gage stay between
E and 1/4 when you have a 1/2 to a full tank. my guage is stuck between the E and 1/4, even when I fill up.

it does go below the E when I shut the truck off, but never gets above that certain point.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

My gauge works pretty good now, but not perfect. :roll: Before I had any repairs done it would read wrong all the time under 1/2 tank. I have had the PCM re-flashed with an updated fuel gauge recalibration and the sending unit replaced. These will help, but will not completely cure the problem. If you have less than 36k miles the factory warranty will cover this repair. Even an extended warranty should cover this. You should at least get the updated fuel gauge calibration and see if that helps. :wink:

Steve
nuddybuddy
Regular
Regular

Post by nuddybuddy »

my truck is a rebuilder (salvage title) 14,000 miles on it. I think the warranty is void when it has a salvage title. I may be wrong.
I will try to upgrade on the calibration.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Don't pay more than $50 to have the dealer update the calibration. It only takes them like 5 minutes to fix the calibration. :roll:

Steve
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I had my fuel sending unit thing replaced when my needle would jump around. It still jumps around, but not as much as it did before. I just fill up all the way on gas, reset the odometer, and I know when I am close to 200 miles, I need to refill!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote: It only takes them like 5 minutes to fix the calibration. :roll:

Steve
Is yours fixed?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:
killian96ss wrote: It only takes them like 5 minutes to fix the calibration. :roll:

Steve
Is yours fixed?
Well yes and no. :lol: It is much better than before, but not 100%, maybe 80% better. :roll:

Steve
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I had mine repaired under warranty and it was definitely worth the time. It would hold at 1/4 tank for a while then dive to empty out of the blue or read differently every time I would turn the key before the repair.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
nuddybuddy
Regular
Regular

Post by nuddybuddy »

killian96ss wrote:Don't pay more than $50 to have the dealer update the calibration. It only takes them like 5 minutes to fix the calibration. :roll:

Steve
I called 2 dealers and they wanted 70-80 dollars. is that what they charged you $50 or did you complain and they dropped the price?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

nuddybuddy wrote:
killian96ss wrote:Don't pay more than $50 to have the dealer update the calibration. It only takes them like 5 minutes to fix the calibration. :roll:

Steve
I called 2 dealers and they wanted 70-80 dollars. is that what they charged you $50 or did you complain and they dropped the price?
The local GM dealership here in Napa (Jimmy Vasser) which is one of the more expensive dealerships I have been to charges $50 for a re-flash of the PCM. Some dealerships are just a rip off even though this update is very easy to install. :roll: You might be stuck with that price unless you can find another dealership that doesn't overprice their service charges. :shrug:

Steve