OE battery life

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

OE battery life

Post by rlrnr53 »

After changing the original battery in my sister's 97 Oldsmobile Silhouette van, am curious to know how long the original batteries have lasted in your vehicles?
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Here is a post on the subject. LINK
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Not long, about 1 1/2 years. replaced under warranty.

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

4 years. 01 crew that died in late fall 05
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

AC Delco Batteries. BAD?

My stock battery lived just past 5 years.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Almost 4 years on mine. It ain't what it used to be but it still starts every morning. My wife's blazer lasted almost exactly 60 months.

*Edit: Spoke too soon :(
Last edited by barch97 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Mine was over two years old when I bought my CC. I killed the battery a couple times by leaving my laptop turned on and it lasted around 3 yrs due to my neglect.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

My battery was replaced about a month after I got the truckin February of 04. Twas almost three years old then. My current stock battery seems to be doing fine two years later :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: OE battery life

Post by rlrnr53 »

Digging up an old topic, at work this week, we had trouble starting one of our older trucks after performing a PM. After checking all three batteries, we decided to replace all of the batteries. When we finally got the batteries out, we were amazed to find the original batteries. What makes this amazing to me is that this truck is a 2000 model that has endured 11 years of plowing snow as well as the constant beating and banging that goes along with normal road maintaince. Plus we have had trouble getting this truck to start for the last two years sometimes cranking to the point of needing boosted before it would start. We have put three starters on this truck in the last two years, so I'd have to say that these have possibally been the best set of batteries I've ever seen.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

A few years back while working in a Ford dealership I too was amazed to see a customer trade in a 12+ year old car on a new one and discover he still had the original battery in it and performing nicely. Only one I ever saw that beat that was an elderly gentleman who had purchased a surplus police cruiser with it's original battery. At age 20 the cruiser's battery finally died. Definitely the exception and not the norm.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Batteries have come a long way in the last 35 years, when I started to work for the state, we were lucky toget 18 months out of the batteries we installed back then. Those were the days of points and 35 amp alternators, and changing exhaust systems about every year or two.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]