Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Flasher module continues to click with no turnsignal on

Post by HenryJ »

Something to look forward to-
BlazerOwners.com wrote:Flasher module continues to click with no turnsignal on
EZ Rydar wrote:My flasher module behind the glove compartment started clicking and will not stop even though the turnsignals are not activated. The clicking will stop with the application of the brake pedal, but will continue once the pedal is released...Any ideas?
4x4x4doors wrote:There was a recall for this on a limited number of models, check with your dealer to be sure. Here's what someone else experienced:
I had this problem this past winter on my 2000 blazer, unfortunately GM declared that it was not built during the recall period, so I had to pay for it myself. It is the multifunction switch in the steering column that has gone south. The entire assembly will need to be replaced...
EZ Rydar wrote:I called the dealer and talked to the service department. I was told that the multi-function switch in the steering column could cause the flasher module behind the glove compartment to click in this manner. He said the multi-function switch could be causing a false load which would trigger the flasher module to react. Two years ago when I took it in for the recall, they changed out the hazard switch which they said connects to the multi-function switch. I noticed that other boards mention the multi-function switch to be the problem as well...I changed out the multi-function switch on my 2000 ZR2 Blazer and sure enough the constant clicking stopped. I managed to change it without having to remove the steering wheel, but just barely.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

WOW, there was a recall for this?? Does anybody know what years the recall covers? My Bravada does this and it is annoying as heck, it would be great to get this fixed FOR FREE, replacement switches are horribly expensive.

Guess I'll be giving the dealer a call. If anybody could point me in the right direction to find out of mine is covered under the recall that would be great incase the dealer decides to jerk me around.

For those of you who are interested I'll explain what happend when mine started doing this. I was taking a road trip (to look at my 91 actually) and I was pulling into a gas station and hit the turn signel and it felt funny when it clicked down, harder than normal to move and then it clicked with a little more force than normal. Ever since the dang thing clicks almost all the time. It was really great on the 1800 mile round trip I took a month later :roll: .
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

I don't know if this is related to the above problem, But occasionally the turn signals on my 01 crew refuse to work until I turn the hazard lights on for a second, then they work normally. Haven't had a chance to check the service manual yet.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
T-bone02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by T-bone02 »

My 98 blazer did the same thing, it would drive me crazy especially when I touched the b-pedal lightly and it sounded like I had a welder in my truck. Crazy enough,one day when I was pulling a trailer something happened and a stream of smoke started coming out of my steering column on top at the hazard button. I thought O-crap, pulled over and pulled one of the fuses, I don't remember which one. After that incident, I don't know what it did but I didn't have anymore problems! :D
[size=75]modified air box, aluminum skid shields, custom sirius radio, 15%tint, powdercoated diamond bed rails/toolbox, mild t-bar crank, Reese class III receiver hitch, 1 3/8 core high capacity radiator[/size]
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

my junk deos the same thing. and you know what i also remebrr seeing smoke coming out from my hazard button.
[size=75]98 blazah w/ super stuff[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

hmmm... i wonder if all these wiring issues may have somethign to do with the fact That if i "jiggle" my turn singal lever , my left brake goes out , put if i "jiggle" it upwards a very little , it comes back on .

These are the fine points that make every Chevrolet a Chevrolet !!! :?
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

GeorgesBlazah wrote:my junk deos the same thing. and you know what i also remebrr seeing smoke coming out from my hazard button.
Same here, scared the heck out of the wife.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

well , now my 99 blazer is doing the above mentioned problem , Clicking after the turn signal has been returned to "netural" . !!!!!
It never fails ... everytime i get my truck back from getting something fixed at the garage , something else breaks or malfunctions shortly after .
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Forget where I was but somebody mentioned pulling the switch apart and cleaning it up, something about the di-electric grease drying out.

Somebody wish to attempt this? If it works it would save some people some money, a aftermarket switch is around $200.
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I was quoted $489 cndoallars to get have a replacment switch installed ..... Not gonna happen .

Does anyone have a clue if i could just pull out a fuse and disable the whole clicking option completly ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Blaze One wrote:...if i could just pull out a fuse and disable the whole clicking option completly ?
It is not a "clicking option". It is your flasher module. Disabling it would mean no flasher.
How about doing it yourself?

Removal Procedure

1. Disable the SIR system.
2. Ensure the turn signal lever on the multifunction switch is in the neutral position or the off position.
3. Remove the knee bolster.
4. Loosen the steering column bracket nuts.
5. Remove the steering column upper and lower trim covers.
6. Disconnect the steering column bulkhead electrical connector from the vehicle wire harness.
7. Remove the wire harness straps from the steering column wire harness.
8. Disconnect the gray and the black connectors of the switch from the column bulkhead electical connector.
9. Remove the multifunction, turn signal, and hazard switch retaining screws.
10. Remove the multifunction, turn signal, and hazard switch from the steering column.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the multifunction, turn signal, and hazard switch to the steering column.
2. Install the multifunction, turn signal, and hazard switch retaining screws.
Tighten the multifunction, turn signal, and hazard switch retaining screws to 6 N·m (53 lb in).
3. Install the multifuntion, turn signal, and hazard switch electrical connectors to the steering column bulkhead electrical connector.
4. Install the steering column bulkhead electrical connector to the vehicle wire harness.
5. Install the wire straps on the steering column wire harness.
6. Install the steering column upper and lower trim covers.
7. Tighten the steering column bracket nuts.
Tighten the steering column bracket nuts to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).
8. Install the knee bolster.
9. Enable the SIR system.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

thank you , but i was stopped at Step #1 - Disable SIR system ....? Every thing else i understand .
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Suplimental Inflatable Restraint - Air bag.
Pull the fuse , or better yet disconnect the battery and don't do anything to set it off.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

thanks , I will try and find some time to get at it . Thanks again .
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

It looks like I need to find some time sooner than I thought .
Smoke started coming outa my Hazard button area today , that can't be good
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Blaze One wrote:It looks like I need to find some time sooner than I thought .
Smoke started coming outa my Hazard button area today , that can't be good
Bla, mine did that months ago and it's still fine.
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Just an update on this!

A couple days ago the turn signal switch felt funny again, the left turn was harder to push and when it did go the "click" was more like something breaking. Ever since then the clicking has been worse, I'm not sure how it got worse but the wife and I have lived with this for over a year and now all of a sudden it's driving us NUTS.

Anyways, an AC Delco switch for our Bravada is just over $100 on RockAuto.
Rockrz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rockrz »

Anybody have pictures of this repair?