Auto climate control

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Steventruck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Auto climate control

Post by Steventruck »

I posted this on ZR2.com, but I am starting to think that it wasn't an option on those trucks, so I'll ask here.

I found a gmc Jimmy in the junkyard with all sorts of goodies. I am interested in the Onstar system (I can get everything for $25) and the auto climate control ($35). Does anyone on this forum have this [climate control] system? Do you like it? How many other parts would I need?

I [successfully] installed a buick Climate control in my Caprice and love it... but that was control head, air mix motor, fan speed controller, temp motor, inside temp sensor, outside temp sensor, sun load sensor, and adding the Buick base code to my PCM.

I think the temp control on the manual s-10 system is electronic anyways, but I'll need all that other stuff, right? Plus the BCM from the donor truck?

Anyways, any info or opinions you might have, please post.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Auto climate control

Post by F9K9 »

Steventruck wrote: Does anyone on this forum have this [climate control] system? Do you like it? How many other parts would I need?

Thanks in advance.

Steve.
Welcome to the forum Steventruck :wave:

I don't think anyone has the system stock or modded. I do know that the trucks have shared components that the climate control uses. Maybe members coming online from the west coast can provide better info later.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The Diamond edition has it as does the Bravada. Those members know who they are.

I have looked into it a little, but not far enough.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Welcome to the forum Steventruck! :wave: What year Caprice do you have? I wouldn't mind having the climate control system in my SS. :D

Steve
Steventruck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Steventruck »

I am Booth9C1SS on the impalassforum.

I have a 95 9C1, a 94 Caprice wagon, and my wife has a 96 Impala SS.
For more if on my car, it's climate control, as well as other mods, go to www.geocities.com/booth9c1ss

I think I might hit the junkyard tomorrow and pull out as much as I can before work.

Thanks for the response guys.

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Steventruck wrote:I am Booth9C1SS on the impalassforum.

I have a 95 9C1, a 94 Caprice wagon, and my wife has a 96 Impala SS.
For more if on my car, it's climate control, as well as other mods, go to www.geocities.com/booth9c1ss
Ok, I know who you are now. :wink: You use the same name over @ ZR2.com also. Do you have a 383 in your 95 9C1's? If so, how do you like it? Are you trying to put the climate control in your ZR2?

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check out the trip computer thread. You will need the sensor above the drivers door and the harness described in that thread.
The system is controlled electronically, and I am pretty sure you will need most of the lower dash wiring harness as well.
The controls are the easy part. I'm not sure if the vacuum control will be the same. There may be some issues with swapping BCM's. Perhaps a flash of your BCM would add any needed functions?
Like I said , I don't know enough yet.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steventruck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Steventruck »

I got the parts today. I couldn't find the vacuum controller, but I have a spare from the B-body system. Maybe GM used the same part in all applications to cut costs.

Here is what I did find:
  • control head and pigtail
  • Inside air temp sensor by driver's head and pigtail
  • Temp sensor in upper air duct plus pigtail
  • Temp sensor in floor duct plus pigtail
  • Outside temp sensor behind grill plus pigtail
  • Sun load sensor plus the large plastic piece that holds it, plus pigtail
  • BCM, incase I need it... truck also had fogs, so if it does work great!
In addition, I also got :

The short (sunroof) overhead console with trip computer and Homelink (and the onstar mic) and the other outside temp sensor, plus both pigtails.

A full length floor console with [auto] floor shifter and "tow/haul" button... and cup holders (I currently have a 1996 Impala SS floorshifter in my 95 9C1 and love it, but hate not having cupholders) in light grey. This console had the Bose amp in it but I left it behind. I will mount something else in it's place. Federal Signal strobe power supply is about the same size.

A headlight switch with the fog button.

The huge power center (thing with all of the fuses) that seemed to have the fuse stuff for trailer brakes and lights etc. I don't know if I could simply plug it in or what. If nothing else, I now have a buttload of spare fuses.

And all of this cost...

$40!

I love this place!

Just so you guys know the reason for pigtails is neatness. While getting the entire factory harness is great, If I solder my own harness from the pigtails, I can make it a standalone system (except where stuff needs to interface like the datalink from the OBDII, power, and ground). If I ever trade my truck for another, I can swap out the stuff I want and not tear the whole truck apart. And it's way faster at the junkyard. I pulled all of the above stuff in 90 minutes (including walking and paying time).

Steve[/list]
[size=75]1999 ZR2 regular cab Chevy pick-up, trip computer, Knaffle lift shackles, Warn M8000, Leer topper, Blazer power seats, Leather steering wheel with radio controls... Basically comfort features for a leasurely off-road jaunt.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sounds like a great deal!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

HenryJ wrote:Sounds like a great deal!
Yes, and please keep us informed, and maybe post a write up after the install if everything goes as planned.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Steventruck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Steventruck »

As the day goes on, I am remembering more and more things that I didn't get.

The vacuum module I knew about and couldn't find. The controls the vent selection.

I forgot to look for the blendor motor. This control the temperature. I'm hoping that the manual control unit use the same part because it's all electronic at the control head... maybe true for the vent selection too.

I forgot the fan speed control. I think it's mounted in the engine compartment, and I forgot to look.

:roll:
[size=75]1999 ZR2 regular cab Chevy pick-up, trip computer, Knaffle lift shackles, Warn M8000, Leer topper, Blazer power seats, Leather steering wheel with radio controls... Basically comfort features for a leasurely off-road jaunt.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It wouldn't hurt to post your location in your profile. Maybe there are members closeby that could use a salvage yard like that or lend a hand when you might be in need.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Steventruck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Steventruck »

I got the fan control this morning. It is mounted in a different location than mine is. This is a snag. The time table for this project being completed just dramatically increased.