are factory fogs aimable?

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Steventruck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

are factory fogs aimable?

Post by Steventruck »

I recently won a set of factory fogs on ebay. I am really excited to get them in because I they they look really good. I know that I would have some work in front of my if I wanted them to function like stock.

My question is... can they be aimed? Do they have aiming screws like the headlights or are they just where they end up? I know that they have a separate lense and look like they could be aimed, but I also know that GM is cheap and will take shortcuts if they think they can get away with it.
[size=75]1999 ZR2 regular cab Chevy pick-up, trip computer, Knaffle lift shackles, Warn M8000, Leer topper, Blazer power seats, Leather steering wheel with radio controls... Basically comfort features for a leasurely off-road jaunt.[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I dont have them but the wires are up front for them to be connected on my 04 but im not sure how they turn on
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

If your truck does have them, there is a switch underneath the headlight switch. I am pretty sure that the harness is back there, you just need to get the panel with the switch. I've seen those on ebay quite alot.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: are factory fogs aimable?

Post by HenryJ »

Steventruck wrote:I... can they be aimed? Do they have aiming screws like the headlights or are they just where they end up?
Yes. They do have an adjusting screw. This primarily adjusts for elevation.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: are factory fogs aimable?

Post by Walt »

HenryJ wrote:
Steventruck wrote:I... can they be aimed? Do they have aiming screws like the headlights or are they just where they end up?
Yes. They do have an adjusting screw. This primarily adjusts for elevation.
Yea, I can actually see mine when they're aimed just above my bumper :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Steventruck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Steventruck »

Cool, Thanks.

I just got the factory switch working (swapped in a BCM from a 2001 balzer that had fogs, mine is a 99 ZR2 PU), so as soon as the light get here I can operate them... though I don't think my truck is pre-wired after the electrical center.

Steve

Are high[er] wattage lamp available for those?
[size=75]1999 ZR2 regular cab Chevy pick-up, trip computer, Knaffle lift shackles, Warn M8000, Leer topper, Blazer power seats, Leather steering wheel with radio controls... Basically comfort features for a leasurely off-road jaunt.[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

The standard bulbs are 27 watts. Brule (HenryJ) is running 55watt bulbs without any problems. I think :)
--Walt
Steventruck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Steventruck »

Looks like the standard lamp in 27w GE 880. Is there a high wattage number, like 885 perhaps?

Nevermind, I answered my own question here... http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1646
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Some have expressed concern about the lense yellowing over time due to the higher heat of a 55 watt bulb. I don't know of anyone that this has happened too, but it might be worth a bit more investigating.
--Walt
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

i believe ther is a 37 watt bulb available, that will fit as well.
cant rember the part# for it now.
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

i have the 55w bulb in my fog lights too and no problems yet of yellowing. I have a sonoma though too but, that should not matter. I use mine on the 35 minute ride home from work at night. There not on much longer than that.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

What is the part number for the 55 watt bulbs and where can they be purchased?
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote:What is the part number for the 55 watt bulbs and where can they be purchased?
HenryJ wrote:I bought GM part# 9442879 BULB,W/SO $9.66 (3/12/02)
You need two ;)

55w foglight upgrade ^
Factory Driving Light Upgrade

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Welcome to the forum BTW!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

I don't know the part number right off hand for mine but, I picked them up at advanced auto when i got my silverstars. 55W fog light bulbs. If you still need let me know I MIGHT have the old package in the garage.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]