Flickering Speedometer lights.

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

rick
Crew
Crew

Flickering Speedometer lights.

Post by rick »

Does any else have this problem? I noticed at night when the headlights are on the speedometer lights flicker. Is there a cure for this.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Does it do it when they are on bright, mid, and dim?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

I will have to check tonight but I think it does it all the time.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I had an issue where I was noticing more motor noise coming through my aftermarket XM radio than normal - and the digital odometer and gear indicator were flickering pretty badly - I thought I was seeing an alternator going out, but turns out it was a loose ground @ my battery. Make sure your connections are clean and tight.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

After checking it out I found that it does it at idle but as I give the truck gas it stops flickering. Battey and alternator OK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

maybe the voltage regulator in the alternator is fluctuating? What about other interior lights - dome, or courtesy lights under the dash?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Mine does this as well. Mostly at cold idle. I notice it a little in the headlights but its very noticeable in all the dash lights. I've chosen to ignore it.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
jist1983
Regular
Regular

Post by jist1983 »

Did anyone find out anything about this? Did it end up being the ground wire. On top of my other problems I'm having this is happening as well. Right now i have been ignoring it....
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Apologies for not updating.

Mine was a barely loose ground at the battery. If it's still doing it, I don't even notice it anymore.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
jist1983
Regular
Regular

Post by jist1983 »

Its ok no big deal i was just curious looking around and saw this thread and figured hey thats happening too, i wasn't worried about it to much but i will take a look at that as well. Thanks!