Overhead console temp

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Hog18Jags
Regular
Regular

Overhead console temp

Post by Hog18Jags »

I have a 2001 Crew Cab. My overhead console is showing the following letters OC and the correct direction N, S, E, W based upon which way I am going. my problem is my temperature does not show up no matter what buttons I press. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

OC stands for Open Condition. Look for bad connections to the sensor. Pull plugs, wiggle wiring, etc. If all that checks out I would probably suspect the sensor?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Razorback
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Razorback »

I have a 2003 Crew Cab and the only thing it shows is the temp. but no direction. I didn't know it was capable of showing directions.. :x :(
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

One thing I have noticed here in Arizona that the overhead temp gauge does not go over 122 degree.
Hog18Jags
Regular
Regular

Post by Hog18Jags »

I know I am bringing up an old post, but where is the temp sensor for the overhead console? Thanks.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

I'm pretty sure it's behind the grille in front of the hood latch. It's about the size of a pen cap.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jigg is right, it is on that brace for the hood latch mount.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Hog18Jags
Regular
Regular

Post by Hog18Jags »

Thanks. I will give it a look over this afternoon.
Tony
Crew
Crew

Post by Tony »

It gets 122* in AZ!!!!

Jesus!
[size=75]-Tony
[b]2001 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab SLS[/b] | 4.3L 262ci 90º V6; Hydra Matic 4L60E |
0 mods getting it back to factory shape then modding.[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Anyone have there overhead temp sensor registering too cold? The other morning I went out and it was reading -26f but it was only around -12f since then it will not climb above 0, even when the temp went to 26f it was showing below 0. Is there a way to reset or calibrate it?
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Never had any trouble yet with the temp on overhead but sometimes the compass goes nuts. :crazy: It will read one or two compass points off. I've tried the reset procedure in the owners manual with no success. :pray: Eventually it just seems to start working correctly by itself. :blink: Bothers worse in cold temps mainly lower than 10 degrees.
Good thing I have a pretty fair sense of direction cause I'd hate to depend on it when it says going NE when actual direction is S! :!:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Noma02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Noma02 »

04crewvt wrote:Anyone have there overhead temp sensor registering too cold? The other morning I went out and it was reading -26f but it was only around -12f since then it will not climb above 0, even when the temp went to 26f it was showing below 0. Is there a way to reset or calibrate it?
No but mine will say "ice" at 37 deg. LOL.
[size=75]2002 Sonoma crew cab. Mod air box. drop in K&N air filter , Tonneau cover.[/size] Bug deflector, vent guards. Step rail next!
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Well today I finally had a little bit of daylight left when I got out of work and I found the problem right away, it was the simplest fix once I could see that -------wait for it----my scanner antenna had hit the switch changing it from Fahrenheit to Celsius. Image.

As for the system warning of ice at too high an air temp remember that bridges can freeze well before the road surface so I think they give a little wiggle room to warn you in advance.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It seems to give the ICE warning when the trend is downward and it is within a preset range. I may be wrong, but that has been my experience.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

No but mine will say "ice" at 37 deg. LOL.[/quote]

Yeah mine does that too. A friend told me he heard that it does that to remind you to watch out for black ice. Who knows !!!!!!!!
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

PATRICKH wrote:No but mine will say "ice" at 37 deg. LOL.

The owners manual states "If the outside air temperature is 37 degrees or lower when you turn on the ignition, ICE will appear on the display. This is a warning to the driver that road conditions may be icy, and that appropriate precautions should be taken."
Sometimes a little reading saves a lot of questions and confusion. :wink:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

I've never seen the "ICE" warning above 0 degrees C....
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

drperry wrote:I've never seen the "ICE" warning above 0 degrees C....
I don't know what the celsius correlation is other than 0 degrees C is equal to 32 degrees F and 100 C is equal to 212 F. Since my truck and manual are for the states it doesn't tell me what the corresponding temp in C would be for activation of the ICE warning just that it is set for 37 F or lower. Perhaps there is a differentiation between the two scales which accounts for yours activating at 0 C. Or perhaps it is more approximate when in Celsius mode.
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

0*C = freezing point of water

It could be they don't factor in the bridge part of it on our side... Or the ones I've seen were more than 2 degrees out...

Also, they don't read any colder than -40.

-40C = -40F
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

drperry wrote:0*C = freezing point of water

It could be they don't factor in the bridge part of it on our side... Or the ones I've seen were more than 2 degrees out...

Also, they don't read any colder than -40.

-40C = -40F
Brrrrrr! :shock: Sure glad you get to deal with that temp and not me. Coldest I've ever had to deal with was one time minus 36 F in NE Nebraska a few years back.
Yeah, I know 0C = freezing water also =32F/
Maybe since both "peg out" at -40 they're trying to tell you to stay home in the igloo cause it's too freakin cold out! :lol:
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

Awwwww, but how am I supposed to work if I stay home? :lol:

Besides, as long as there's no wind -40 isn't really that bad...

-55*C is cold :p

Also, when it hits colder than -40, it'll just say OC
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

drperry wrote:Awwwww, but how am I supposed to work if I stay home? :lol:

Also, when it hits colder than -40, it'll just say OC
Guess you could get a computer and sit in the "gloo" and do stock trades. :lol: People could then tell you're home by the screen glow showing through the crawl-in entrance. :lmao: Maybe that OC stands for OH CR*P it's cold! :hehe: Sorry, I just couldn't resist messin with ya.
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

:lol:

It very well could be that!

And my old computer would've melted the igloo :lol:

And just so you know, only poor people live in igloos... The rest of us are in Snow Forts.
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

drperry wrote::lol:

And just so you know, only poor people live in igloos... The rest of us are in Snow Forts.
Hey man! Cool! Literally. By the way where is Grand Prairie. It's not listed on my map index? :?:
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

About 4 hours northwhest of Edmonton.... More west than north, I think...
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

You are a long way north! I used to know some folks from Saskatoon and Moose Jaw Saskatchewan but looks like you're farther north than they are. Oh, and west also.
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

I moved 9 hours SOUTH to get where I am today ;)
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

drperry wrote:I moved 9 hours SOUTH to get where I am today ;)
Yikes!!! :yikes: You musta been born in an igloo! Keep warm my friend and it's been nice talkin to you.
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

lol, summers back home rocked... sun never went down... hottest it ever got when I was living there was 91*F

Averaged 77*F
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I lived in Potsdam NY for years, when it took 15 minutes for my check oil light to shut off because the oil was nearly a solid that was cold (72 Nova). With wind chill I have been out in -83F, the city told the entire population to turn on all water taps and they would not charge for the water and AAA was a 3 day wait with only 1 attempt, if you shut off your car they would not come back. We had to replace a frozen battery in a buddies car and since gas freezes at -40 many cars were just dead in the water. I joke with people that I moved to Vermont to get to a warmer climateImage
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

That's why we get winter mixed gas... It doesn't freeze at -40...

You should've been getting the same thing...

I've been in -83*F.... With no windchill.
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Oh it was winter mix, but when the gas lines are close to the ground like in some cars it freezes in the lines. At -83 either with or without wind we are definitely part of the die hard winter people. I have winter gear I have never had to wear since I moved to Vermont. I have traveled to Quebec City in February in winter storms for a weekend event.
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

They should've used gas line anti-freeze :lol:

When we had our -83 in Hay River, my dad had to take the '93 Suburban to work because his Ford wouldn't start...

He had to go turn the power back on, and the Suburban was on a timer for the morning... So it wasn't plugged in... It chugged, rocked, moaned and groand, but it started :lol:
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4