Wiper Glitch

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

dhawke
Crew
Crew

Wiper Glitch

Post by dhawke »

I am currently having a problem with my wipers when I either hit the MIST or WASH switch/button/?. The wipers will go through a complete cycle and when they get back to the bottom of the windshield, they will proceed to go about a third of the way back to the top and then stop. This only seems to happen when the truck is cold. After I have been driving for a little while, and things get warmed up, it doesn't seem to happen.

Anyone else have this problem or know what the fix may be.

Thanks.
[size=75]'03 Crew K&N Drop-in, Sylvania Silverstars, BFG AT KO's(30X9.5X15)[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Yeah, mine does the same thing, usually followed by a lot of cursing sounds from the drivers seat area. What I do is use the first delay position for the quick swipe instead of "Mist". Also when I use the washer position, once it starts wiping I flip the switch to the first delay position and wait for the wipers to stop, then turn the switch off. If I do these things, they always stop where they are supposed to. It's annoying as h*** but I don't have the time to drag the thing back to the dealer. I don't know is it's the switch or what.
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Yup!! That's EXACTLY how I get around this little problem. Once the truck warms up though, I don't have the problem anymore. With the warmer weather on its way...I'm thinking that the problem will go away!
[size=75]'03 Crew K&N Drop-in, Sylvania Silverstars, BFG AT KO's(30X9.5X15)[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Mine started this nonsense early last fall so it might not be seasonal for me. In fact there really doesn't seem to be any pattern to when mine act up. Sometimes they work fine and sometimes the don't. I've just got so to the problem that I even do the "delay trick" when I'm in my wife's Lumina.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Wow, mine started to do that when I was driving through the blizard toward the end. I've noticed it do it a few times since. If I cycle it another time, then it will seat correctly. Very strange. I've got 36.5k on it now, so I guess I past warranty! It's not goofy enough for any concern now, just very strange.

And even if I did take it to the dealer, it probably would never do it for them. I'll just fix it myself if it gets any worse. Maybe it is a cold related thing.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
pbeachcruzer
Regular
Regular

Post by pbeachcruzer »

mine does it all the way up to 75 degrees outside. so i dont think its just a cold glitch.
flowmaster duals, air raid intake, t.b. riser. 1.3"spacers in back.

lift with kick a55 tires to come soon
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Based on my past experience with dealer repairs, I just figure I'll live with it or fix it myself. I've already had mine back to the dealer twice and other than the bad gas guage (it was totally dead) they haven't fixed anything else. Most of my problems are just annoying though and not enough to go screaming at them and threatening "Lemon Laws".
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

So...it's about 45 Deg. this morning, and rainy...my wipers worked fine all the way to the office in "MIST" mode!! This is exactly why I haven't taken to the dealer to have them try to fix it!!

Pbeachcruzer...Dude!! You live in Orlando!! 75 is COLD for Orlando!! It IS a cold problem!! LMBO!!

But seriuosly folks...I just got the truck in October, and I honestly expect to have it a long time. I'd hate to think that I'm going to have to get used to this little annoyance. Has anyone tried taking the switch apart and cleaning it? I know that fixed my little "phantom wiper" problem on my last truck.
EDWRDM
Regular
Regular

Post by EDWRDM »

My brother in law had an 85 S-10 Extended cab and it has had wiper problems all its life. They would turn on and make one pass all by them self, I have heard form several other S-10 owners that it is fairly common for these trucks to have wiper problems so I am awaiting the day when mine start messing up. Only 9500 miles since July.
2002 S10 ZR-5 Crewcab Yellow (can u believe they charge extra for Yellow?) Access LE Cover w/ electric tailgate lock, APC Clear Corners, Vent Visors, Deflecta Shield .
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

EDWRDM wrote:My brother in law had an 85 S-10 Extended cab and it has had wiper problems all its life. They would turn on and make one pass all by them self, I have heard form several other S-10 owners that it is fairly common for these trucks to have wiper problems so I am awaiting the day when mine start messing up. Only 9500 miles since July.

I think I remember a recall for 97(maybe 98) and older s10 for wiper problems. So we should not have an issues. We will see.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Any reccomendations for wiper blade replacements?

these stock ones suck monkey###.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

barch97 wrote:Any reccomendations for wiper blade replacements?

I already replaced mine with ANCO(I think that's how you spell it) blades already. They are not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. I change mine out almost every 6months(or sooner), cause I had bad wiper blades.

Cheers,

Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Gonna give these a try.

QUADRABLADEÆ LIFETIME WIPER BLADE

4 wiping edges instead of one!

Guaranteed to never wear out, rot, crack, tear, smear, streak, rust, squeak, chatter, freeze or stick

For American and imported cars and light trucks

Limited lifetime warranty

they can't be any worse than the oem blades and for $10... not wasting a whole lot if they're garbage.
Jim

Post by Jim »

:D Bosch Micro Edge Excel :D , funny the Germans have been using these for 20+ years they look just like the stock S-10 blades. I couldn't find a decent refill...all were junk. Don't chance scratching the windshield by using cheep junk :!:
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

When I replaced mine, I stopped at a couple parts stores, but they wouldn't fit, so I had to get stock replacements, which work well, but not much at 15 deg in a blizzard. :shock:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

Gotta' second the Bosch wiper blades praises. Dang!!! They're nice! Pricey, but nice. I just replaced the stock blades, which did indeed such monkey%#@*&*^! Of course...so did the stock headlight bulbs! But, they're gone as well.

FYI Pep Boys has a rebate of $10 if you buy a pair of the Bosch wiper blades. It comes in the form of a gift card. I'm thinkin' I can get my Safari Bar if I buy enough pairs of wiper blades!!
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

General Motors recalls nearly 2 million trucks, many built in Moraine.

The recall involves 1.8 Million G-M pickups, S-U-V's and vans from the 1994 to 1997 model years.

The reason is faulty front wipers.

The vehicles include certain models of Sierras, Ttahoes, Yukons and Suburbans.

The recall also includes Astros, "Safaris Crew Cabs" as well as Blazers, Jimmies and S-10 pickups.

Sooooooo...does anyone know if GM has plans to fix my 2003 wiper problem?
Jim

Post by Jim »

dhawke wrote:Gotta' second the Bosch wiper blades praises. Dang!!! They're nice! Pricey, but nice. I just replaced the stock blades, which did indeed such monkey%#@*&*^! Of course...so did the stock headlight bulbs! But, they're gone as well.

FYI Pep Boys has a rebate of $10 if you buy a pair of the Bosch wiper blades. It comes in the form of a gift card. I'm thinkin' I can get my Safari Bar if I buy enough pairs of wiper blades!!

Glad you like the blades :D

Bosch works good w/ GM products. I didn't have any luck going the other way my previous German car, spit out every non German part I ever put on it.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes there was a voluntary recall on 93 to 97 s-10 wiper motors.

and i had to deal with this in the other s-10 that i used to drive. talk about cussing. the way to get the wipers running was to open the hood and hit the motor with my hand till they started running. and driving down I-20 in the pooring rain and then pulling over to get drinched while doing this was enough to make me shoot multiple animals all at once.

and no my truck doesnt do this. it was only in the cold once. since then, the truck has never been below freezing. or 45 degrees for that matter. and my wiper blades are as good as new and work great. i just used them last week in the rain. and i have 50k miles
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Yes they do, they're friggin horrible.
I'm glad I put RainX on.

How have the Bosch Micro Edge Excels been working?
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
dhawke
Crew
Crew

Post by dhawke »

My Bosch wipers are still going strong. They've been on the truck since just about a week after I got it. And, now I've got 27K on the clock.

If you buy Bosch, make sure you get the more expensive ones. Seems to me there is a cheaper version as well. But...it's been so long since I bought them, I could be wrong!
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

dhawke wrote:My Bosch wipers are still going strong. They've been on the truck since just about a week after I got it. And, now I've got 27K on the clock.

If you buy Bosch, make sure you get the more expensive ones. Seems to me there is a cheaper version as well. But...it's been so long since I bought them, I could be wrong!
I put some bosch blades on as well but it appears it won't flex enough on the pass. side so the tip of the blade is not touching at the bottom of the windshield. Still works well though. I'm using the cheaper ones so maybe that's why it won't bend around the windshield.

Con
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I am using Rain-X on all my windows and Rain-X brand wipers also. This seems to be a good combo so far. I got my Rain-X wiper blades at Pep Boys. As far as wiper problems, I'm not having the same problems everyone else is describing, but I have noticed that my delay function doesn't work right. The first 3 or 4 settings seem to be exactly the same, no difference in timing. :!:
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I got a set of Anco winter blades on. They're great!
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

btw...
barch97 wrote:Gonna give these a try.

QUADRABLADEÆ LIFETIME WIPER BLADE

4 wiping edges instead of one!

Guaranteed to never wear out, rot, crack, tear, smear, streak, rust, squeak, chatter, freeze or stick

For American and imported cars and light trucks

Limited lifetime warranty

they can't be any worse than the oem blades and for $10... not wasting a whole lot if they're garbage.
these weren't much better than the oem blades. I've since decided to just get a new set of cheapo k-mart replacement blades every 6 months or so.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Try the Anco winter blades. I may just leave mine off for the summer. The spring pressure is so light, I think the soft winter blades will do great.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Nobody knows the official fix for fixing the problem of the wipers getting stuck? Mine did it a few times today. And sometimes the delay doesn't work, it just goes like it's on full time. :?
jarhead
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jarhead »

quickbiker wrote: And sometimes the delay doesn't work, it just goes like it's on full time. :?
Mine has recently started to do the same :? I put it on delay and just goes at regular slow setting :x :x
2001 pewter crew She's for sale
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

quickbiker wrote:Nobody knows the official fix for fixing the problem of the wipers getting stuck? Mine did it a few times today. And sometimes the delay doesn't work, it just goes like it's on full time. :?
Have you checked the circuit board? ( Wiper fix )

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Thanks. I thought we had some post about a possible fix. :oops:

I guess nobody's tried it yet. Has anyone had it fixed under warrenty?
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

quickbiker wrote:Has anyone had it fixed under warrenty?
Yes. I brought mine in and they replaced the "wiper module".
N3565 COVER/MODULE, WINDSHIELD WIPER REPLACE
PART#: 12463039
That was on October 13th last year. It's been working fine ever since and we've had quite a bit of precipitation since.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine has been doing fine so far, but I have repaired one for a '96 fullsize.
In the past I have replaced three modules on various vehicles.

I'll be looking at the circuit boards every time now. It is too easy to just re-solder any bad connections :D

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

jarhead
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jarhead »

Do yoy think that that could be the problem with our wipers???????????
2001 pewter crew She's for sale
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

It might be but it doesn't sound like it...
The vehicles involved are 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer and TrailBlazer EXT, GMC Envoy and Envoy XL, as well as Oldsmobile Bravada SUVs built between October and June 2002. Some 2003 TrailBlazer and TrailBlazer EXT, Envoy and Envoy XL and Bravada SUVs built between April and November 2002 are also included. Some 2002 Isuzu Ascenders are also involved.
While our trucks are somewhat identical to a blazer/jimmy up front, there is no mention of any s10 style vehicles being involved. The trailblazer/envoy/bravada look nothing like ours. So, even if problem is similar, the fix will likely not be.

Also, I don't recall anyone here complaining of their wipers not working at all. Sure they're buggy bug they at least they come on.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

barch97 wrote:That was on October 13th last year. It's been working fine ever since and we've had quite a bit of precipitation since.
And then they were broked again. :x

and, conveniently out of warranty... so, now the question is, do I pay for fix0r 'em or just live with the two speed wipers?
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

has anyone replaced one of these wiper modules themselves? it can't be all that difficult, right?

or what do dealers charge to replace out of warranty?

how long is warranty on replacement parts? it's only been about a year since they replaced it...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

barch97 wrote:has anyone replaced one of these wiper modules themselves? it can't be all that difficult, right?

or what do dealers charge to replace out of warranty?

how long is warranty on replacement parts? it's only been about a year since they replaced it...
Easy to replace, and you can find them on ebay, or so I'm told.

Warranty on replaced parts should be a year.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

nevermind... I just called dealer...

"Sure, no problem at all. Bring it in. We'll hook ya right up." :D
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

Ok so my wiper started to act up. First intermediate setting works well. Second setting works well for a few seconds then goes to low....All intermediate settings above strictly act in low setting. Low and high setting works properly....Is this the same wiper glitch problem. I think that jarhead was the only one to mention something similar. Would this be covered under the recall or would i ahve to pay out of my pocket... If so, screw it...I'm ordering a new truck in december, I can live with it... :?:
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

yeah, that sounds exactly like what I've got. The guy I spoke to at the dealer told me he thought there was a recall that might cover it but couldn't say for sure. As mine was replaced less than a year ago the part is still under warranty although the truck is not. I'm guessing you could find out pretty quickly if it's covered under the recall by giving your dealer's service dept a call.
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

ok in florida and alabama we get heavy rain quite often, and my wipers just dont move fast enough to clear the windshield some times, does anybody else have this problem, i had a 2000 S-10 and i dont remember the wipers being so slow, i really cant tell a difference between the second to last and full out, "anybody else", (you like that, i just made a new word, man i really need to go to sleep) :lol: :lol:
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Haven't noticed them being any slower than my '97 but, I may put to much emphasis on rainx and only use my wipers in city traffic.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

barch97 wrote:nevermind... I just called dealer...

"Sure, no problem at all. Bring it in. We'll hook ya right up." :D
Dealer called... The warranty is 12 months or 12000 miles. Well, I'm WAY over the 12k miles. $200 for module + installation. But, since "it's been in for this before, we'll split the labor and call it $150."

So, I tell him that I'll pass.
He says there's $40 diagnostic fee.
I ask if he's joking.
He says "no."
I ask "what diagnostic did you have to do? I told you what was wrong with it and you told me I was right. I gotta pay you for that?"
He says "yup."

This is the second car I've bought from this dealership and the last unles there's A WHOLE LOT of appologizing and a replaced wiper module when get down there to pick it up.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

HenryJ wrote:Easy to replace, and you can find them on ebay, or so I'm told.
is there much difference between the '97 and the '02?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

i'd gamble on it working. You can always sell it if it doesn't work. You have to look at my "luck" track record though :lol: . My last boss told me that if I had a pet duck, it would drown! :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Justin wrote:Ok so my wiper started to act up. First intermediate setting works well. Second setting works well for a few seconds then goes to low....All intermediate settings above strictly act in low setting. Low and high setting works properly....Is this the same wiper glitch problem. I think that jarhead was the only one to mention something similar. Would this be covered under the recall or would i ahve to pay out of my pocket... If so, screw it...I'm ordering a new truck in december, I can live with it... :?:
Guess I just joined the intermitant wiper problem club. This just started happening Monday in the first real rain of the season. Went to use an intermitant setting and the wiper were totally random one swipe,pause, full on, pause pause pause, swipe swipe, pause, swipe swipe swipe swipe. Well you get the picture.
Found this old thread that described what seemed to be the problem so I guess it's added to the list for the next dealer warranty trip. I have to accumulate a few at a time before the inconvience is worth the effort of getting the truck in to the shop.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I think my blazer has every known ( and some unknown) problem that a S10 based truck could have , my wipers started doing this about 5 months ago . it is so annoying !
But not big enough problem to tear into the wiper assembly either .
Another point lost for GM .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You two really need to be a little more worried about this one.
Having your wipers fail is a safety issue. You will not know they have failed until you need them most.

The fix is really not very hard. If you are not a person who wants to solder the bad connections, I hear the modules/boards can be bought pretty cheap on ebay. Then just swap them out.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Mine did it for a couple years, but the past couple years it has stopped. Looks like it just fixed itself. So the GM self healing option works. :lol:
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

quickbiker wrote:Mine did it for a couple years, but the past couple years it has stopped. Looks like it just fixed itself. So the GM self healing option works. :lol:
Atleast until the frog that's frying in there completing the circuit shakes loose and falls out :lol:

An AC unit in our switchroom failed today, setting off two temp alarms. After working on it for two and a half ours, the tech showed us the tree frog that managed to touch two of the contcats inside the unit at one time. He was black :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
rickscrewcab
Crew
Crew

Post by rickscrewcab »

My truck has the same problem, no matter what the temperature is. I'll just recycle them and live with it.
[size=75]2003 crewcab-flowmaster muffler w/dual exhaust and 12" stainless steel tips, cold air intake, color matched bug deflector, LED taillights, Lund tri-fold tonneau, projector foglights, clear corner lights, neft bars, billet grill, Huskey floor mats, molded mud flaps and a Hunter Grill guard. Mods for next years budget...2" body lift, fender flairs, bigger wheels and tires, CB radio.[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

The big problem with just living with the problem is that at least in my rigs wipers just stopped one day when they were needed. If you don,t fix them before you get to that point a $30 part could become a d a damaged/ totaled vehicle and/ or injured people.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]