Alternator Replaced

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Alternator Replaced

Post by doughboy5499 »

Well to add to all the things wrong with my truck, My altinator was going out for a week or so now. I took the truck up to autozone to have them put it on the meter and tell me if it was my battery or my altinator ( I already knew it was not my battery). My altinator was only drawing about 62 amps, the rebuilt one from autozone ( 100-105 amps )is a lifetime warranty for $98 plus $10 core. So I went that route. It was not charging the battery enough in the short rides to work. It had been nice out so I said screw replacing it and was riding my new (to me) motorcycle to work for a week or so. It was a pretty easy install except I would recomend not doing it as soon as you get home from driving around town getting parts for it. It was kinda HOT. Put on the mechanic gloves and wah la. Just thought I would fill you all in.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Thanks for sharing :mg:

How many miles were on it?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

It had 68K mileson it.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is interesting. My brushes were about 45% gone at 40k miles , IIRC.
Must have been a rectifier, or regulator issue perhaps.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

I was going to have it rebuilt at a local shop(30 minutes away in next town) but, they wanted $75 to do it. So I decided to pay a little more and get the lifetime warranty.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Can't blame you there. Sometimes the quality of those "lifetime" alternators can be a little suspect. If you are having to pay for the installation, or if it is a difficult installation, they may not be the best choice.
I have had really good luck with them on assorted vehicles though. I can only recall a couple warranty returns and those were starters in high abuse environments. Most of the time you can detect a shabby core and just ask for another choice. It should serve you well.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

Hopefully it will last me till I no longer have the truck. Many many moons from now.
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

My OEM one went out at about the same mileage 55-60,000 miles. Been running the autozone LLT warranty one for about 2 years now.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

OK listen to this. I bought a remanufactured alternator at Autozone two weeks ago. Sunday night I get ready to go to work and my truck is dead again! I take wifes 04 Grand Prix to work. I jump my truck in the morning when I get off and drive my truck back up to Autozone so they can check it and see what the problem is. My NEW alternator is only drawing 69 amps. The schmuck is like "I am boggled. We don't usually have problems with these alternators." He says take the alternator off, bring it in, and we will give you a new one. I am thinking YOU TAKE IT OFF AND PUT A NEW ONE ON FOR ME. But I stayed nice. I went home and took it off brought it back and they stuck it on their test machine. To my surprise it was perfectly fine, passed all 3 tests it does. So I am thinking BATTERY. I asked him what it was drawing and he did'nt know but it was still good. So they procede to give me a new alternator and wished me better luck with this one. I take it home and re-install it. Before I hook it up I pull the battery and take it down to Advanced Auto ( where I should of went from the get-go ) and had them check it. Here to find out, My battery has a bad cell. So I buy a new one from them. So I really don't think I will be going back to Autozone for anything any more. Unless emergency.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

A bad battery will take out an alternator very quickly. They are not designed to charge a dead battery, just to maintain a good system.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

See I knew that but, aparently he did not. I just wanted to know what they were reading.