The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Newbie stupid question on RDS??

Post by cdnuser »

Here is a stupid question...

I have the upgraded stereo and I was wondering what RDS stands for? At first I thought (by the graphic) that it held more than one cd. Did some of the cd players also come with a cd changer?

Keep in mind I am a newbie. I have had my truck almost 2 weeks.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have a RDS 6 disk changer and All I know is that some channels are able to display the song titles, their artists and the station's call letters.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

RDS=Radio Data System wikipedia

Radio Data System, or RDS, is a standard from the European Broadcasting Union for sending small amounts of digital information using conventional FM radio broadcasts. The RDS system standardises several types of information transmitted, including time and station identification. RDS is standard in Europe since the early 90s, but less so in North America.

Radio Broadcast Data System is the official name used for the U.S. version of RDS, though the "RDS" name seems to be at least as common in usage. The two standards are nearly identical, with only slight differences, mainly in which numbers are assigned to each of 31 musical and other programme formats the RBDS system can identify. RBDS was approved by the NRSC, RDS by the EBU.

Both use a 57kHz subcarrier to carry data at 1187.5 bits per second. The 57kHz was chosen for being the third harmonic (3×) of the pilot tone for FM stereo, so it would not cause interference or intermodulation with it, or with the stereo difference signal at 38kHz (2×). The data format utilises error correction. RDS defines many features (see below), including how private (in-house) or other undefined features (such as differential GPS) can be "packaged" in unused programme groups.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by cdnuser »

How can you tell if the cd player is equiped with a cd changer.
When I bought the truck I could have sworn that the sales guy said it was a 6 pack but I haven't tried putting in more than one cd.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You'll have the numbers 1-6 over top of the display,
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

You could also look up the radio option on the glovebox RPO tag if I am not mistaken it lists the radio on that take by code # I think you would need to look up the sales package or discount option package and see what was included in the package listed.http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=739

Or the easy way just keep stuffing cd's in until you can't get another one in.Image
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
c schoelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by c schoelen »

hey i just put a new head unit in my crew cab. it has rds too. i was also told that i needed to buy some $100 harness to put a new head unit in my truck, but luckly if your trunk is made before '03 then you should be fine. i put my new alpine in and it works fine.
[size=75]2002 S-10 Zr5 with: 6" superlift, 15" black rockcrawler rims, Airaid Intake, and 33 X 12.50 BF Goodrich Mud terrian Tires. Skidz Cut-out Flares[/size]