wanting to remove abs for off road use, fabricate a switch?

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Griff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

wanting to remove abs for off road use, fabricate a switch?

Post by Griff »

I'm copying this thread from ZR2USA.com to get some of your guys opinions/ideas. Thanks!
Posted by: nmband13 Dec 2 2006, 05:17 PM wrote: i want to disable my ABS breaks for when i go mudding, can i remove the fuse to disable the ABS and if thats possible can i hook up a switch to it?
Posted by: Greg Mucher Dec 2 2006, 08:40 PM wrote: well if you can find a 60 amp switch you could do this. just pull the fuse when going off raod.
Greg Mucher @ Dec 3 2006, 10:22 AM wrote: Tell me more!!!

The thing is that the switch will hold the load all the time until offroad then it will be turned off
Posted by: Seapahn Dec 3 2006, 12:44 PM wrote: I've never had much trouble with the ABS offroad. It doesn't seem to kick in on mine in 4LO and I rarely use 4HI. It does work in 4HI. Have you had problems with abs kicking in offroad?
Posted by: Greg Mucher Dec 3 2006, 12:50 PM wrote: all the time!!!!
Posted by: High Flyin ZR2 Dec 3 2006, 01:16 PM wrote: I plan on doing this as well. Does anyone currently have this set up and can recommend a good switch for the job? I would like something that is like a small rocker that I could put below my headlight switch.

What about the use of a 60 amp relay so that a regular toggle or rocker switch could be used. I think that would be the best way. Anyone know of a reason that wouldn't work? Here is a 60 amp relay I just found by doing a google search: link

I know we have seen pics of someones BlaZeR2 that rolled down a sandy hill backwards and was stopped by a tree. That right there is reason enough to put a switch on it in my opinion.
Posted by: JD's Toy Dec 3 2006, 01:20 PM wrote: constantly. especially in muddy conditions...

when my ABS broke, it was one of the best days of my life!
Posted by: Griff Dec 3 2006, 01:23 PM wrote: This definitely sounds interesting. Anymore ideas on whether or not the standard switch with 60 AMP relay would work?
Posted by: vanr Dec 3 2006, 01:40 PM wrote: wire the switch into one of the wheel sensors...flip it, it will activate the ABS light, and you wont have ABS, turn it on and restart the vehicle..wala-that should do you
Posted by: nmband13 Dec 3 2006, 01:45 PM wrote: ya i almost hit a bunch of stuff and i slid down a mud hill cause of stupid ABS, and if the 60amp relay would work then im getting that done before the ground thaws, anyone know if it would work?
Posted by: nmband13 Dec 3 2006, 01:48 PM wrote: hmm thats probably a cheaper and will probably work but what if i just want a switch for like off road and then once i get back onto the pavement just flick it off/on?
Posted by: Greg Mucher Dec 3 2006, 02:17 PM wrote: Well here is the problem. I know the system runs a 60 amp fuse. so that is themax the system will run. the Relay will work but know sure if it could handle bening run in the locked position all the time. Why I say this is that if there is a issue with the relay it wwill stay locked or fused into place and will always be on. I think a small Starter Solenoid would work better. Like one from lawn mower. I have looked into this and will do this mod when I can get more time to work on it.
Posted by: vanr Dec 3 2006, 09:43 PM wrote: wire to sensor is a closed wire...(if you hooked an ohm metter to each end of the wire it would be little to no reletive resistance...now, cut that wire or flip the switch so it is now open (high or invinite resistance)...ABS BCM senses you are missing your front wheel reluctor inputs, and the ABS light comes on,...the BCM does its job, disables the ABS... your not dealing with hi-amps, just interuppting the signal to the BCM

now your back on road, you stop, turn the truck off, turn ABS disable switch on (closed loop), restart truck, and your system should function as designed

I think this would be a better way of dealing with the ABS...I am actually looking for a way to run a signal from the incoder motor to a relay, so when I switch to 4LO, it automattically disables ABS
Posted by: Blackhighrider Dec 3 2006, 10:40 PM wrote: I don't think it would be too hard to do, just play with some relays.. I haven't messed with the 4x switches yet, I dunno how they are gonna work idunno.gif

But I HATE ABS when I'm wheelin, especially in the sand or loose dirt.

There was another guy around here somewhere a while back with a BlaZeR2 that had brought this idea up, he had rolled backwards into a tree or somethin....
Posted by: madson5476 Dec 3 2006, 10:56 PM wrote: i second that.....def noticed it when in hi durin the recent snow fall....but when i went wheelin the next day....didnt notice it in low.....
I apologize if any of the formatting got messed up.
[size=75][url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?id=974]"Maxine"[/url]- K&N FIPK, Gibson Cat-Back, Knaffle Shackles and Receivers, Optima Red Top, Knaffle Sliders, etc.

I break at least 2 Federal Laws per day.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: wanting to remove abs for off road use, fabricate a swit

Post by HenryJ »

Posted by: Greg Mucher Dec 3 2006, 02:17 PM wrote:Well here is the problem. I know the system runs a 60 amp fuse. so that is themax the system will run. the Relay will work but know sure if it could handle bening run in the locked position all the time...
It could be attached to the normally closed terminal. This way the relay when activated opens the circuit.

The wheel sensor trick may work too. A trip to the salvage yard for a couple of plugs and you could fabricate a simple plug-n-play adapter to add at a wheel cylinder connection.

I can see that either method of disabling is likely to require an ignition cycle to reset and enable the system again.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Griff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Griff »

Damn, I was hoping for something I could switch on/off without cycling the system.

The idea of having it switch automatically when in 4LO is pretty nice as well.
[size=75][url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?id=974]"Maxine"[/url]- K&N FIPK, Gibson Cat-Back, Knaffle Shackles and Receivers, Optima Red Top, Knaffle Sliders, etc.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It might reset if you intercept the power for the module. Using the TCC wire might be an option as well. Bypassing the brake switch so that it remains unbroken might also disable the system.
This might be dangerous if the cruise control is enabled ,as pressing on the brakes would not disable it.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Griff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Griff »

HenryJ wrote:It might reset if you intercept the power for the module. Using the TCC wire might be an option as well. Bypassing the brake switch so that it remains unbroken might also disable the system.
This might be dangerous if the cruise control is enabled ,as pressing on the brakes would not disable it.
Well let me ask it this way then. Would you do this mod to the HenryJ and if so how? :)

P.S. Thanks for cleaning up the original post.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The HenryJ is a car :lol: I do know what you are referring to though. ThunderII is the truck , I don't refer to it that way other than a decal and the website stuff.
It is just my truck. Basic transportation, or slightly more.

Would I do this? Not at this point. The desert terrain I frequent doesn't warrant it. If I find the need to disable the ABS, I can pull the fuse.

If I wanted a cab accessible switch, how would I do it? I really don't know right now. I don't have enough information on how it all works.

I would like to disable it for 4wd operation all together. I do not like the violence of its operation wile operating in four wheel drive. I may look further into this at some point.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Didn't you or Jeremy post a thread here or maybe linked to ZR2.com about him rolling down hill and into a tree because of the abs feature? I thought it was generally agreed to pull the fuse. I have tried to locate it but, haven't given up........yet on locating it. I know I was appalled when I first read it.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GM data wrote:DTC C0265 or C0266
Circuit Description

The ABS relay supplies battery voltage to six valve solenoids. The EBCM microprocessor applies the grounds needed to activate each solenoid. The low side of each solenoid coil has a feedback circuit to the EBCM microprocessor. When a solenoid is commanded OFF, the feedback voltage is high. When a solenoid is commanded ON, the feedback voltage is low.
Conditions for Running the DTC

* The ignition is ON.
* The vehicle speed is greater than 6 km/h (4 mph).

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The EBCM detects an internal malfunction.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
C0265

If equipped, the following actions occur:

* The EBCM disables the DRP/ABS.
* The ABS indicator turns ON.
* The brake warning indicator turns ON.

C0266

If equipped, the following actions occur:

* The EBCM disables the ABS.
* The ABS indicator turns ON.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The conditions for setting the DTC are no longer present and you use the scan tool Clear DTCs function.
Looks like breaking and restoring the power might work without an ignition cycle and completing a power-up self-test.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Griff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Griff »

I appreciate you looking into this.

I'm about as noob as it gets when dealing with electrical so if you could tell me exactly what I would need to do this, and how I'd appreciate it. If it's too much bother don't worry about it. :)