Electrical question.

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

GAS
Crew
Crew

Electrical question.

Post by GAS »

I don’t know much about electricity so I need some help. There are 3 bulbs in S-10 rear lams – reverse lite, side marker lite and another very interesting lamp it has 3 wires coming in: A, B and Ground, BUT those bulb carries 3 functions: rear marker lite, stop and turns. My question is “How can it be???” Asking becouse I’m going to kill turn function in that bulb and make auxiliary yellow turn signal. What wire should I cut in that case? :twisted:
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

I am just guessing here but I believe the turn and stop are the same filament on the bulb. The turn light is simply the stop light on and off...but like I said, that is just a guess. But it would explain 2 wires and a ground.
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

And what happens when stop lite is on? Does turn signal just brakes the chain? So I just can’t figure how it can be and how turn relay works.
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

When you are stopped, the stop light flashes on one side and stay solid on the other.
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

OK, I realize that. Now what should I do to separate that functions? There is single wire if Ill cut it Ill stay with no stop lites. Some kind of disaster! :x
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Our tail lights are a two bulb system. To create a four bulb system you will need a converter.
Look for a Toyota trailer lamp converter. You will need to install this in the harness before the tail lights.

You might also research the european version Blazers. They had the export tail lamps and front side turn indicators. You may be able to use those parts to convert yours to euro specs.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

I guess there is no simple solution for me. :!: You may be know that several numbers of Blazers 4.3 was made in Russia in the end of 90-s and I see those Blazers on the streets but there is not a single truck in local junk yards.
I got a little idea. :idea: Our trucks have a connector under the rear bumper. As I understand, it’s for trailers electrical system so there must be turn signal wires. Can I use that wires or trailers lites works on same principle and Ill get orange stop lamps? :?
CrashNburn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrashNburn »

if you use the trailer wires for your aux turn signals, they should work independent of yoru brakes. sounds like a good idea,
[size=75]I hold Wrench, you turn truck!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The trailer wiring is no different than the tail lamps. They are still a two lamp system.
You are trying to create a four lamp system. (six if you count running lamps)

The tail lamp brake lights and turn signals use the same filament in the tail light. The switch that makes the change from one to the other is in the steering column.
You could use the blue wire that is at the back for use on a high mount brake light for a shell. Wire it in to operate the brake lights on both sides. Then use the tail lamp wires to operate the orange turn signals. However you will have to disassemble the steering column and disable the switch that deactivates the brake lamp when the turn signal is selected.
Pretty involved. It is possible though.

The easy way is to add a converter. Add it into the wiring at the harness before the tail lamps. Right where the tee connector would go if you were adding a trailer harness.
The converter runs about $12-$20 US and is available through most parts stores. Look in the trailer wiring adapters section. You want a two to four lamp wiring adapter / converter.
It is a black encased plastic piece with four wires coming out one end ( white ground, brown tail / marker, yellow right turn, and green left turn). The other end has five wires ( white ground, brown tail / marker, yellow right turn, green left turn and red brake )
All you need to do is cut the yellow and green wires on the front side of the harness connector that is located at the left rear of the truck. This is the point before they split to go to the tail lamps. Connect the four wire side to the wiring from the front of the truck. This is the input. The green and yellow wires are all you need to run through the converter. The white wire needs to be grounded, but the brown wire can remain unused on both ends.
On the output from the converter attach the yellow and green wires to your added orange tail lamps. These are now your turn signals. You can attach the red wire from the converter to the harness wire yellow and green that go to the stock tail lamps for your brake lights, or you could use the blue camper shell wire to supply them.

If you can not obtain a two to four converter, disassembling the column switch would be the only other option. If you are comfortable with electrical, it would be the least expensive method. I can help walk you through it if needed.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

Thanks for help. :) I guess the hard way is the only way for me. The point is not I don’t wana spend $20 for converter, but whether I’m 90% sure I could not find converter here. Ill look for it (no harm in trying) but I have real doubt in success. If Ill fail… :cry: lets return to our muttons.
P.S. I forgot to mention I got stock radio and do not know my unlocking code (original owner didn’t leave my any note). :?:
CrashNburn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrashNburn »

last time i needed a code for a GM i called the 1-800 number in the owners manual, gave them the VIN, name, and address, and they talked me through how to unlock it. only took a few minutes.
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

Good advise but unrealizable for me. :( May be I could send request to GM by e-mail? :roll:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

CrashNburn wrote:last time i needed a code for a GM i called the 1-800 number in the owners manual, gave them the VIN, name, and address, and they talked me through how to unlock it. only took a few minutes.
GAS wrote:Good advise but unrealizable for me. :( May be I could send request to GM by e-mail? :roll:
Maybe a member who has been through this recently could gather the information from you, make the call here in the US and PM the information to you?

Hint, hint ^^

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:........Hint, hint ^^
I don't recall a problem? Was it me? Just PM the member and link GAS's problem :?:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think CrashNburn will get the idea ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Very subtle! People accuse me of the same thing...........NOT!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
CrashNburn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrashNburn »

anyone in the US that has their owners ,manual should be able to give you the number for GM.

(im in canada) but it should be the same system,. just a different number
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It may not be accessible from Russia where he lives.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
CrashNburn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrashNburn »

i never even noticed you were from Russia!! damn im Way Too observant for my own good!! :)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:lol: That is the whole reason for adding the orange signal lights to meet European specs.

You have been through the process of unlocking a radio recently. I would really appreciate it if you could take the time to help this member out. Gather all the information needed from him. Make the toll free call and walk him through unlocking the radio.
I won't cost you anything but time.
Think of it as "Paying Forward". Sometime this act of kindness will come back to you ... with interest.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
CrashNburn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrashNburn »

i dont have a problem doing it Lol..

PM me your Vin # and the name registered on teh ownership. and your home phone #, i will call GM canada and tell them what you need.
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

You guys are great!!! :D Unfortunately, I can’t read the forum on weekends while me digging, sawing and so on, that’s why I missed your discussion. I want to thank all of you interest in my problem but I don’t want embarrass anybody by making calls to GM ets. Anyway, I planning to change factory radio masterpiece to Prology CD/MP3 receiver so the problem will be solve.
CrashNburn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrashNburn »

i wouldnt be embarrassed, not by a phone call.. it takes quite a bit to get me to turn red HAHA..
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

OK, if you say so why not. Ill give you my VIN tomorrow. What else info do you need from me to contact GM? Take into consideration, please, that we talking about locating in Russia truck with Russian registration papers. All I need is unlocking code. Unlocking procedure is described in Haynes manual that I have quite clear. Thank you in advance. :wink:
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

There is question to HenryJ.
Here we have wiring diagram http://www.e-toolbox.com/ads/wiring/va132900.pdf.
Could you be more specific which wire to cut and which to connect with? I don’t see reverse lamps at all. May be the wrong diagram? I see two ways to make orange turn signals. First one is to mount aux orange lamps to the bed cover and leave truck tail lamps with no turn signals at all. In that way could be problems when bed cover opens and need to disconnect the wires. Second way is to make turn lites of rev lamps changing them to orange and mount an aux rev lamp under the rear bumper. What is your advice?
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

Here is the wiring diagram http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/framerq.asp My mistake. (Its "library")
CrashNburn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrashNburn »

the spelling of your name, and home phone number. do you speak english? (i dont want to assume that you do, as i have used translators on teh net before)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Can you give them the VIN, and use your own information? If they are matching your phone to the given address there will be a conflict.

Can you explain the process?

Could all the pertinent information be gathered and then explain the situation? Access to GM from Russia being a huge hurdle and all.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
CrashNburn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrashNburn »

the way it worked last time i did it for a buddy, we called teh 1-800 number, gave them the vin, then the address and name on the ownership, then they checked to make sure that it was all correct in the MTO (DMV) computer. then they gave us the code. we followed to instructions and and punched in the code.
Last edited by CrashNburn on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I will bet that they will not have access to a Russian database , let alone phone numbers :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

Guys! With all do respect I’m firmly convinced than that task is impossible. Of course, North America GM has no access to Russian police database and especially GM officials would not call some Russian person to check his data.
Let’s forget of unblocking code and focus on basic problem – turn lites. :roll: Thanks again.