Bad Battery???/

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bad Battery???/

Post by Snotick »

My CC wouldnt start this morning. It have had a little cold spell (30 degrees)
the battery doesnt seem to show that it takes a charge when I put the charger on it. When its running the Voltage on the dash is reading around 15 volts. I cleaned the battery terminals and checked voltage at the battery when the truck is turned off, it reads just under 13 volts. With the truck running, it reads between 13.5 and 14 volts at the cables. I noticed when I removed the negative cable (with the positive still attached) that I get a spark. Would the factory security system be the reason for this, I did not have any doors opened, and the radio was off. Also there is no bulb in the engine compartment light socket. Could I have a short, or is this normal. I just purchased this truck about two months ago. I think the battery may be the factory 2002 unit. I was going to just purchase a new battery, but if I have a short, I should probably fix that before I make the purchase.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Re: Bad Battery???/

Post by F9K9 »

Snotick wrote:.........I noticed when I removed the negative cable (with the positive still attached) that I get a spark. Would the factory security system be the reason for this,..........
NO! There is nothing to interfere with normal operations by doing that. Go to you local parts store that offers free testing and have them check it. If, bad then go to a second one and have it tested. If, both determine that the battery is shot, come back here and do a little searching. If, your search provides no help then let us help you. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

thanks for the quick reply, I see by your suggestion that you dont hold much faith in local parts stores for their testing, I will make sure I take it to two places to make sure its bad.
I did a preliminary search here looking for suggestions on shorts, but didnt find a whole lot dealing with my problem.
I will let you know what I come up with.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You are very welcome!
Just have it evaluated at two different stores. I have seen bad testing equipment. I had an Optima red top read "needing Charge" in my rig. Having them charge it and then the next morning being in the same position with a dead battery. I repeated the cycle for 3 days until I insisted they check it again after they charged it, their in store equipment showed it charged and it was reinstalled. It showed needing charging.

If, they know your name when you walk in and cut up with you then, a second store probably is not needed.

Two stores are so used to me that I get a discount but, that is from my working on a Heep. :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Snotick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Snotick »

I have a great store about six blocks from my house, they used to be a mom and pop store for 25 years but got bought out by O'reilly's about 2 years ago. There is only 1 original guy still working there, plus a few minimum wage lacky's filling time until their next paycheck. A good auto shop/parts store is hard to find these days. I havent had to work on a vehicle for about 10 years. This CC is the first used truck I have purchased in a long time. This site was a great resource when I was trying to determine which truck to buy. I hope to have it a long time. It does everything I need it to do. I call it my Swiss Army Truck, it has everything but the fork and spoon.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Snotick wrote:I have a great store about six blocks from my house, .........
Be a regular there then. Some one will actually forget about the desk top PC and know how to look up stuff in the books. Offer to do it for them if, they seem unwilling.
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

If it is your original battery then It is gonna need replaced soon. MIne died In my '01 but, at the same time my alternator died too. My new full size had same issues. First thing I did is take my alternator out and took it to a Mom and Pop place that rebuilds them. Good reputation. Alternator was good so I went out straight out and bought a battery. Stay out of Auto Zone. I learned my lesson. NEVER BUY ANYTHING ELECTRIC FROM THE ZONE!!! All junk! 3 Bad alternators and 2 batteries in 2 weeks from there.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]