Joined the club! *Fuel Pump Module Problems

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Joined the club! *Fuel Pump Module Problems

Post by border man »

Well after almost 7 years and 103,375 miles, I have finally joined the erratic fuel guage club. :?: I was driving home today, and had 1/2 a tank of gas when I got off the highway. As I pulled into my driveway (5 miles) my low fuel light went on and off, on and off, and the needle was just above "E". It also jumped around quite a bit. I there any other possible fixes other than full replacent of the sending unit, ie.. loose ground at the tank?
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Start using your trip odometer of maybe a can of Sea Foam. My '97 was locked on full for a yr or two. The Sea Foam freed it up but, was never correct again. I'd say count your blessings for over 100K of good use out of it.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

My 2000 model started doing the same thing at about 70,000miles.

I'm assuming this is a sending unit in the tank that needs replacement?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That would be a good guess. The pump quitting may be the next symptom you experience.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

My co-worker at work has a 2001 blazer whose gas gauge had been erratic for a while. He had had a couple of hard starts a few weeks ago and when he asked what I thought was up I looked at these threads and prepared him for the worst and sure enough 3 weeks before Christmas a new fuel pump and sender were installed to the tune of nearly $800.00 at the stealership.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Mine only worked for about 3 months after I got the truck. Truck only had 40k on it when the gauge started freaking out so I had to learn how far I could get on a tank. Now its on empty with low fuel light 24/7. Never had any other problems with it though *knock on wood*. Once I saw how much it would be to repair I decided it wasn't much of a hassle to reset the trip every fillup.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Okay, now you guys are scaring me! :shock: My 01 CC had 59k when I got it and guage worked fine. Lately has started going nuts. Other day was reading about 1/4 ti 1/8 then started bouncing around and low level light came on. And no I wasn't off road'n so gas wasn't going from bottom of tank to top and back. :!: Then guage dropped below E peg and stayed there. :( I was in town so went to station and filled up. Only took 15 gallons so was still about 1/4 full more or less. I suppose this means my pump and sender are getting ready to c--p out? :cry:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

As far as I know our all crews have a 16.1 gal tank, if that's the case you were almost empty which is what causes many of the problems to start with the senders. I try never to go much below 1/2 tank.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Can't speak to your trucks but owners manual lists my 01 crew cab as 19.0 US gallons. I have put in slightly over 20 on a couple occasions when I got caught with my pants (fuel guage) down. It is common for vehicles to hold slightly more than the manual lists if you fill them clear to the fuel cap. I also try not to run too low on gas as I know the value of keeping the pump cool and the fuel is its coolant.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I never get below half a tank. The specs on our website list the capacity at 18 gallons. Ex cabs list in the owners manual at 18.5 gallons. Someone said 17.5 gallons was the right answer. Don't forget that there may be a difference between the earlier models steel tank and the latter with the plastic. I am sure we have been through this all before. I don't think there was a good answer that time either :lol:

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rebel-Chevy
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rebel-Chevy »

my 2001 has a 17.5 gallon tank, how many mpg/mpt do you guys get?
Torskdoc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Torskdoc »

Look at the shape of the tank. Long, FLAT, without a lowered sump. Any volume of gas is going to be spread out along the whole length and width of the tank. our tank is approx 18" wide, 4' long and 12" tall, lying on it side. 4 gallons will cover MAYBE about 3 inches deep. HOWEVER there appear to be NO baffles transversely in the tank to keep the gas from sloshing around. This is why your gauge will bounce around when you make turns, accelerate, or stop hard.

With the "sensitivity" of out gauges to STICK @ low fuel levels, you could have anywhere from 0 to 4-5 gallons when it sticks, and or fuel light comes on . The shape of the tank and the lack of baffles in the tank in GM vehicles have been a sore point with me for over 40 years. Even with a so called "RING" around the sending unit, you get sloshing and variations.

one positive solution to this is to remove the tank send to a tank shop and have baffles installed. Another is to install a fuel cell, or a tank with a different design.

Short of doing nothing and living with it, there is no cheap / inexpensive way to correct this problem. Adding a can of seafoam to the tank every 1000 miles for 5000 miles will help clean off the rheostat contacts on the levelometer to minimize sticking. Then add a can once a year.

According to the manual, CC's have a 18.5 gallon tank. I ran mine down to killing the engine and put in 18.7 when the nozzle tripped off.

I usually run 180-190 and put 15-15,5 gals.11.5-12mpg. This was b4 cap and rotor. Last fill was 230 and 14.4 gal. 15.97mpg

My suggestion would be to fill up when you start to feel uncomfortable based on combination of mileage and fuel level. Put more faith in the mileage, as you know how far you go on a tank for city or mixed or hwy driving.

Larry
2002 S-10 ZR-5 Quad-CAB
1995 GMC Jimmy 4Dr. SLT
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Well I double checked the specs on the 2004's and it lists the gas tank as 17 gal I must have gotten the 16.1 from the most I have ever squeezed into it from reading empty. This was before I had found this site and realized how much of a no no that is. The best mpg I have ever gotten was about 19.2 on the highway in cruise control the worst about 15.5 in 4-wheel drive commuting to work in a snowstorm. I average right around 17 most of the time
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

My '02 specs say 17.8 gallons :?:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Seems like each year the used a different size tank is yours a metal tank? Mine is plastic.
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

"Seafoam"............????????

Post by mjmcdowell »

Ok.....other than the obvious, what the heck is "seafoam" what is it, what is it's use(s), where do you get it? Oh!!! and HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone, stay safe, mjmcdowell
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: "Seafoam"............????????

Post by HenryJ »

mjmcdowell wrote:what the heck is "seafoam" what is it, what is it's use(s), where do you get it?
Seafoam
I buy it at my local NAPA

- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

HenryJ wrote:I never get below half a tank. The specs on our website list the capacity at 18 gallons. Ex cabs list in the owners manual at 18.5 gallons. Someone said 17.5 gallons was the right answer. Don't forget that there may be a difference between the earlier models steel tank and the latter with the plastic. I am sure we have been through this all before. I don't think there was a good answer that time either
My Crew cab has the steel tank with the dip toward the front end and the plastic rock protector around the bottom and front. My manual says "regular and ext cab is 18.5 us gal and crew cab is 19.0 us gal". As I said earlier it will hold more than that if I fill it clear to the cap.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Rebel-Chevy
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rebel-Chevy »

my 2001 has the steel tank, the window paper from the original owner says 17.5 gallon tank, i think i get about 200 miles a tank which is about 13 mpg. 2 weeks ago i was leaving advanced auto and noticed the gas gauge was spiked to full, it stayed like that for about a week. within that week i filled up twice then the gauge dropped to E for about a week and now it seems to be working but i think its like a quarter of a tank off.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Yup, I still have the window sticker too and it also says 17.5 gal. However the manual that came with the truck says 19.0 and my experience more closely matches that figure. Lately I've been getting around 13.0mpg for all stop and go driving in 10-25 degree weather and 15-16mpg hiway in same temps. Not great but I can live with it. :?
My guage usually behaves pretty well till it gets down near 1/4 tank that's when it gets squirrelly :shock: and when I said earlier it dropped to below E and stayed there it had been sitting still for 20-30 minutes on the level and after startup didn't move from there until after fillup.
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

GM also sells a fuel system treatment that's supposed to clean the sending unit... Or help it last a little longer, at any rate... Tossing it in every oil change is supposed to help the sending unit last longer...

But from what I've been able to tell, Seafoam or the Luca Fuel System stuff are about the same... Though the GM stuff is reportedly slightly more aggressive at cleaning the sending unit.
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

A little Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas seems to help free up the sticking fuel sender and offers more protection for the pump. :wink:

Steve
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

Marvel Mystery Oil?

That's a new one, lol.

That's something I'd try just because of what it's called!

Now to find some...
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

drperry wrote:Marvel Mystery Oil?

That's a new one, lol.

That's something I'd try just because of what it's called!

Now to find some...
Marvel Mystery Oil :D

Steve
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

Sweet! Something that might actually be availiable in town! lol
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I get mine at walmart and yeah it does help sometimes with my erratic fuel gauge.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
drperry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by drperry »

My walmart probably doesn't have it... The Canadian versions of most US chains usually get hosed on the good stuff :p
2005 Chevy Blazer
5 Speed 4x4
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

killian96ss wrote:A little Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas seems to help free up the sticking fuel sender and offers more protection for the pump. :wink:

Steve
Hey Steve, thanks for the reminder. Been so long since I used any Marvel I'd completely forgotten it. :nana: Used to use it all the time to lube air impacts and air drills. Guess I've just been outta the shop too long! BTW unless they've stopped carrying it NAPA stores should have it also.
philippe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by philippe »

i have the 2002 cc and bouth it at 35 000km.the fuel guage was bad,i send it to gm dealer,they change some pieces and didnt change my truble.when my guage show me empty i put it on park and see the level go up.
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Just a little side note on the Marvel Mystery Oil. I don't know what they put in it :?: but I've always run a high quality fuel conditioner. However, since adding the "Oil" to the gas my gas guage appears to be behaving better :D and I am now averaging a little over 14mpg instead of high 12s to low 13s. :thumb: I am currently on my 4th tankful with the "Oil" in it as well as my usual fuel conditioner. This may not sound like much to some but on a weekly basis it amounts to about twenty bucks saved in comparison to before. Doesn't take long to add up at that rate. :woohoo:
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Yeah when I first used it I got a slight increase in mileage, I stopped using it and the mileage didn't decrease but stayed the same. I went from the same about 13mpg to 14-15ish. I'm thinking it maybe acts as a fuel system cleaner? Who knows whats in there but it did also help with my gas gauge for a while but now I think its completely froze up and shot since it hasn't worked since the summer months.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Killian96ss: Just wondering what ratio is of MMO per Gal. in my CC tank. I don't want to smoke out the guy behind me. :puke:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Horsehammerr wrote:Killian96ss: Just wondering what ratio is of MMO per Gal. in my CC tank. I don't want to smoke out the guy behind me. :puke:
I don't have a bottle to look at right now, but the ratio is listed on the bottle if you find some.

MMO is a fuel system cleaner and conditioner. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

- ThunderII KE7CSK
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

I've been using it every few fillups and it seems to work when I do. As far as mileage goes, never noticed an increase until I got to Roswell and started using 86 octane fuel.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Yup, the bottle says 4oz per 10 gallons. Interesting thing though, I've only been using 2oz per 10 gal and do measure fairly carefully. Mileage is staying steady at 14 or a little more stop and go so I'm happy. :thumb: