Brighter reverse lights?

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Brighter reverse lights?

Post by bradjh »

How can i make the back up lights brighter i can barely see to get in my driveway at night? are led's brighter are they just plug and play.. I actually tried searching this topic and could not find anything. Brad
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I changed my bulbs to Halogen and got an after market tail light that had a larger back up lens. I got a little more but still not enough. Some members have added lights under the rear bumper. Here is HJ's post on the subject.
Back Up Lights
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Brighter back-up light bulbs

I am running a 50w halogen bulb in the reverse / back up lights.

Back-up light wiring has some information on options.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Add some more light!

These are 55 watt halogen driving lights cut into the rear bumper and trimmed w/ split vac. hose. Aim them where you need to see most. I routinely need to back down my steep narrow driveway at night, these make it possible. They are wired through a relay activated by the back-up light switch. So they come on whenever I shift into reverse. I also have a dash mounted over ride switch that can activate the lights whenever light is needed behind the truck, ie camping or hooking up a trailer at night.

The combination of the stock tinted rear and side glass and the week stock back-up lights is not enough.

I'd be careful about putting too large a lamp in the stock housing. The plastic lens may yellow and break from overheating
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
rickscrewcab
Crew
Crew

Post by rickscrewcab »

Hey Cajun, that's a great idea. StylinTrucks has 2 sets of dual lights that mount either around the hitch, or slides into the hitch. I think they run about $100. They come with backup warning beepers too.
[size=75]2003 crewcab-flowmaster muffler w/dual exhaust and 12" stainless steel tips, cold air intake, color matched bug deflector, LED taillights, Lund tri-fold tonneau, projector foglights, clear corner lights, neft bars, billet grill, Huskey floor mats, molded mud flaps and a Hunter Grill guard. Mods for next years budget...2" body lift, fender flairs, bigger wheels and tires, CB radio.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]