Brake and (ABS) warning lights

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

microsvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Brake and (ABS) warning lights

Post by microsvc »

Intermittantly within seconds after I start the 2001 CrewCab, the Brake AND (ABS) warning lights come on. The brakes and ABS both work normally while this happens. If I turn off the engine and restart it, the lights may not illuminate. Any ideas of what may be going on? Someone said it might be the circuit board for the brakes and abs $$$$$$$. Thanks!
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Maybe an intermittent problem with a wheel speed sensor, maybe check the fluid level in the master cylinder also. Do they come on when braking or just stay on after startup? Do you have any false activation of the ABS system also (ABS engaging on dry pavement when braking normally)? Only other thing to do is have it scanned for codes when the light is on (the PCM usually does not store ABS and brake light codes, so the lights will have to be on when scanning to get codes).
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
microsvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by microsvc »

They o go on within 5 seconds of turning on the engine. If I shut it off and restart, they may or may not come back on. I will have the codes scanned when the lights are on. Also theres no false activation. Speed sensor sounds like it may be a cause, I recently moved to where theres more mud on the roads when it rains (Oklahoma Red dirt). Thanks!
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Hey microsvc, let me know what you find out. I'm having the same issues.

Mine will come on driving down the road. Brakes work fine, (do get a little spongy on rough roads or if I take it off road)

Just very annoying to look down and see those lights looking back at you. Everytime I get a day off, the freakin things won't light up.
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

As an update to my post above. I had the truck in the shop yesterday. They told me it was the ABS control module. I asked what code it had and they told me it was C0272.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Let us know if you have problems again. I have replaced ECBM in older vehicles. Hopefully these are not as problematic and yours is an unusual failure.

Give it a few weeks and give us an update.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Anybody ever notice your ABS system activating when loosing traction on one or more wheels while NOT BRAKING? :?: I did today. Wouldn't have realized it except was listening to a weak AM radio station and ABS activation always causes static in the AM side of my radio. Didn't stay on long. Only perhaps 1-1.5 seconds. :blink:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Just a quick update. I had the truck in the shop on the 10th to have the troube code checked.

It's now been 8 days and almost 350 miles and the ABS light has not come back on.

Does anyone else think it was a simple fix and I was getting scammed and was going to get nailed for the cost of an ABS controller ?

I've had the truck in this shop before and have no reason to doubt them, but this seems odd. It (the light) was coming on at least 3-5 times a week and now, nothing.

I'm not complaining, but just curious as to what everyone else thinks.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Probably just coincidence. If they didn't replace the module and just cleared the code, there's a chance it may come back on. There may have been specific circumstances related to setting the light that you're unaware of. Maybe if the module case is cracked and water gets in from time-to-time, hitting certain bumps causing vibration that makes module act up, damaged wire in a harness somewhere that may have been moved slightly during service, etc. There's no real way to tell. All the tech can really do at the dealership is scan for the code, get the description of what that code indicates, and monitor the individual systems to see if there is a damaged part setting the code. If they clear the code and monitor the PIDS and there are no other issues, then the general code recommendation (and past experience) is all they have to go on.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]