Wiring help ( Third brake light on shell / topper )

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Wiring help ( Third brake light on shell / topper )

Post by PATRICKH »

I added an ARE fiberglass truck cap and it has a third brake light. I need to know if anyone knows which wire is the brake light wire so I can tap in to it. My haynes manual wiring diagram is a little vauge.

There is a yellow wire, a brown wire, a dark green wire and a black wire, I know the black wire is a ground. It looks like it would either be the yellow or dark green as the brown wire also goes to the lic. plate lamp. I don't want to connect it to the turn signal wire for obvious reasons.
Any ideas ???

Edited title-HJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

None of the above. It is light blue. There is a light blue wire inside the LH rear frame rail ready for it. Just run it up to your light and you're done.
You will find it in this mess:
HenryJ wrote:... If you check the wire loom on the left rear frame, near where the lighting connector is, you will find a light blue wire folded over and taped down...
Eric H wrote:...There is a blue wire on the rear driver's side by the bumper bracket labeled "HI BRAKE" (or something like that; the lettering was quite weathered). I believe the intended purpose of the wire is for toppers with a brake light up in the rear window. I just hooked my light up to this wire and ran a ground to the frame. Works great!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

When they installed my A.R.E. they just tapped into the drivers side tail light. The better half is out with the S-10 now or I would go look. I can't remember how it comes into the bed area but I know the wiring is behind the bed liner by tail light. It only to "HER" a min. to wire it after "SHE" installed the cap. I will check it out when the truck gets back.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Thanks to all. I have not had time to get under and check things out. Need a garage or warmer day...
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I took some photos and have them in the photo section of my web page. Let me know when you don't need them anymore so I can delete them. If you need any other help let me know.

My Web Page

EDIT; If you right click on the photos and select properties you can read the description of the photo's.
Last edited by BADs Crew on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wow , really went to quite a bit of effort considering the wire and circuit designed for the top is just 12" below there and ready for your connection.
Guess your installer didn't know about our trucks.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

The topper has an switched interior light and the third brake light. I guess thats the reason for all the different connections.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The switched power would require running a wire from a source no available at the tail light.
That is probably your roll of wire they left there. I don't see that as very professional.
The wire taps used are quick and easy. They do allow moisture to enter the wire. Many times they cut wires and create a point of resistance for the circuit. Add the electrolysis from dissimilar metals and corrosion has a start.

I too am guilty of using this type connection. Not for a topper , but look at my back up light picture posted above. I also used the "scotch lock" wire taps when I did the quad beam mod.
I am now paying the price in having to repair the connections as they become problematic.
I really should have taken my own advice and used a soldered connection with heat shrink to seal.

For the topper connection the wire is already stubbed out for a clean connection. No taps or splicing required.
Solder another length of wire to connect to the topper and heat shrink seal the connection. That one you will never need to worry about again.

If you need power look to the thread about adding an accessory power source.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

HJ, I was going to ask you what you were doing with those Scotchlock connectors, but I see by your last post that you ore paying the piper. About 15 years ago, the WVDOH purchased about 50 single axle dump trucks without specing what kind of connectors to be used in the wiring. As you can guess, after the first winter, all of the wiring had to be replaced on most of the trucks. Not a pleasant job if the beds were not thorughly cleaned first. Needless to say, heat shrink connections were speced on all orders after that.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They are evil. They are so easy to install. If you only need to deal with the rig for a year or two, they work fine. Later you pay the price in damaged wiring and poor connections.
I am still wooed by the simplicity. I try to resist. I know better. Still the ease is hard to resist.
I still need to fix that one on the back up light and I have one left on my quad beam splice. Shame on me :(

- ThunderII KE7CSK
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Thanks again to all who posted repiles. The blue wire was there, buried, but there.

Hooked it up today and no blown fuses !
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
mars2878
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Wiring help ( Third brake light on shell / topper )

Post by mars2878 »

Pic & link doesn't work.
01 Sonoma sls crew cab - 00 Camaro rims, lear cap w/additional led int light, reese hitch, 99 envoy dash outlets, 98 bravada switch plates & hvac knobs.
03 grand am se 3.4 auto sedan - 02 gt ram air induction parts, aftmkt taillights.