AHL and low battery

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

AHL and low battery

Post by F9K9 »

Admittedly I performed a very quick limited search on the topic. We are finally getting a little bit of snow and I was outside playing with the pup. I realized that my crew was getting neglected between getting my XJ ready for sale and playing with my TJ. I have done the battery cut off mod thanks to Brule :) I just failed to address it the past two weeks. I have a drain due to the maglight charger and the laptop converter. Last night, it dawned on me to check out my CC. It couldn't have cranked any slower of for any shorter time before it fired up. I mean it was on the very edge of not starting.

Anyway, I never did the AHL disable mod and mine always come on whenever it is dark.

I may have missed this being referenced to before but, did lowly GM actually do this on purpose? If, they did then I am rather impressed
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by williamcstonejr »

and when I use the remote start on my truck (or whenever you start your truck at night), as soon as the ignition is activated by the remote, the AHL circuit turns the lights on (during the 3 second delay while the fuel pump is building pressure), then the motor starts while the lights are on. This little voltage flicker is not good for the bulbs at all.
The above is from Link

My truck has a remote starter and my lights stay off as long as my emergency brake is engaged. I am going to look but was my truck re-wired for this or do all of our trucks keep the DRL/AHL off as long as the E-brake is engaged?
[size=75]All it takes is time and money.....the two things I don't seem to have very much of[/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

They all do it. As far back as 2000 that I know of but possibly earlier.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Good info and thank you for helping the senile :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

same with mine. when i got the remote start in i thought the guy messed up my lights because i had to turn them on manually. then i got home and saw the emergency brake was on a little.
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

[f9k9] Good info and thank you for helping the senile
:thumb:
[HCO4x4] same with mine. when i got the remote start in i thought the guy messed up my lights because i had to turn them on manually. then i got home and saw the emergency brake was on a little.
:oops:
[size=75]All it takes is time and money.....the two things I don't seem to have very much of[/size]
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

More info on the subject.

WAKE-UP STATE
The BCM performs the BCM functions in the wake-up state. The BCM enters the sleep state when the active control or monitoring of system malfunctions has stopped, or when the BCM is idling. The BCM must detect certain wake-up inputs before entering the wake-up state. The BCM monitors the BCM inputs during the sleep state, allowing the BCM to switch between the 2 states.

ASLEEP STATES
The BCM is asleep when the BCM has stopped controlling or monitoring devices and has become idle again. After the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and 20 minutes (1216 seconds) elapse without any Wake-Up signals, the BCM enters into an asleep state and goes into the low power mode. If the BCM is in low power mode and detects a wake up, the BCM will enter into the wake-up state and enter the high power mode. If the vehicle has been left inactive (ignition in the LOCK position and no BCM wake-ups) for 20 minutes , the BCM will return to the low power mode.
BCM CONTROLLED/AIDED FUNCTIONS
The BCM controls/aids the following functions. For additional circuit information and descriptions, refer to the appropriate sub-system.
• RKE Remote Keyless Entry/Panic Alarm/LOCKING and UNLOCKING of Doors/Lockout Prevention
• DRL Daytime Running Lamps/Auto Headlamps/Exterior Lighting
• VTD Vehicle Theft Deterrent/Passlock(TM) System
• Inadvertent Power Relay/Battery Rundown Protection
• RAP Retained Accessory Power
• Interior Lighting
• Audible Warnings

I am having a hard time finding more info on the Inadvertent Power Relay/Battery Rundown Protection. At this point I am asuuuuuuming thats why it still started. Might be wrong anyone know for sure?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That sounds right. I mean we all have tried to coax a slow cranking engine to life and we have developed a sense to know when the starter is going so slow that it will stop. I dunno, maybe I have been there a thousand times when poor or whatever. I was going to release the ignition key and get booster cable or my charger when it caught and fired. I just thought it was a cool feature to leave the lights off when in peril. I never use the parking brake on level ground but, I should. It is a good habit
to have.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Is your battery weak? Check the voltage with a decent digital meter. It should be 12.9 volts , engine off.
Check the top of the battery for a swelled cell. I had similar problems with a bad Red top. It had one bad cell. Voltage was 12.3 static.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Brule, it was more about the AHLs not kicking in. I am actually praying to the battery gods to let the yellow top fail. It held up well over a year over a week of parasitic drain.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

OK. My misunderstanding.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK