Radio Swap

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Radio Swap

Post by Guitar831 »

A friend of mine is saving $$$$ to buy a 99 or 2000 S10 Xtreme and he wants to buy my stock RDS radio/cd player in my 03cc. I asked him why doesn't he want an aftermarket radio, he says he wants to keep a factory look in the dash. I told him he would need a pre-RDS radio for a 99 or 2000 year model, but he's in love with my radio instead. He's also willing to buy a new aftermarket cd player for my 03cc. If I can get him to buy me one of those new radio/cd players that includes a built-in USB port, I'll make the swap.

Now here's the question. Will a RDS radio from 02-04 fit in an earlier 98-01? Will the facotry wire harness connect?
[size=75]Guitar831[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think you will find it VIN locked and the BCM incompatible.
Just a guess though.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

Would replacing the original 99 or 2000 BCM with an 02-04 BCM work? I really like those USB supported radio/cd players.
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

As little work as it is. Take your radio out hook it up in his truck to see if it works. If it does, then make the deal.
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You know it will not fit the dash, right?
'01 and older are din and a half, '02-up are double din.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:...........'02-up are double din.
IIRC, this came up rather recently and there was some sort of change during '02. Bottom line is that nothing is really concrete with these rigs. Some were double din and some were not in '02. I do bet that if, I am wrong that I will hear about it shortly :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

It's true, they switched midyear as I have the older style thats a little smaller. I found out trying to find an adapter to make my aftermarket deck fit, had to go with an '01 adapter even though I have an '02. So I have the stupid tape deck on the floor. Oh well!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

green02crew wrote: Oh well!
I just knew you would agreeImage
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Haha well I'm glad you're happy about it, but I don't know if we were meant to be!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:...'02-up are double din.
...there was some sort of change during '02. Some were double din and some were not in '02.
Ok, would you agree that in this case a radio from an '03 will not fit in a '99 dash.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Actually, I don't know. My '97 had a HU pretty similar in size but, I can't prove it.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:lol:
Ok, Steve.

Guess this guy and thread get no help. All shades of gray :roll:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote::lol:
Ok, Steve.

Guess this guy and thread get no help. All shades of gray :roll:
I guess :(
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

This earlier daylight saving time is whacked! I haven't slept past noon in forever. Oh well, screw the radio swap. Guess my friend is just gonna have to settle for an aftermarket.

Thanx anywho fellow crewcabbers
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

If there's an 02 break I'm not sure where it starts. I bought a used unit from another member out of an 02 and put it in my 01. Direct fit, no problems, no VIN lock. Just an FYI.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Maybe some guys can chime in when there's were built and narrow it down when the actually started changing them.

Mine was built at the end of april 02 mine is a double din.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

The guy behind the counter at the service and parts department at my local GM dealership says that the RDS radios first started to be installed in 02 S-Series trucks and suvs in November of 2001. Another guy at a GM dealership in another city said December of 2001 was when the last of the pre RDS radio were installed in all GM vehicles and the RDS radios debuted in January 02. I'm not certain who's telling the truth. Anywho

Needless to say my friend was non too happy about the incompatability issue with the radio swap. But that didn't stop him. We took my 03 RDS to a boneyard and tried to fit it into a wrecked 98 ext. cab. While the 98 harness and antenna fit perfectly into my 03 RDS, the RDS itself had trouble mounting into the opening. After about thirty minutes of modifying the radio mounts, we finally got the RDS to fit as close to a factory install as possible and then replaced the dash with very little difficulty. The CD slot on the RDS was half covered by the 98 dash. Other than that, it looked like a factory install RDS in a 98 truck. Sorry that there are no pics to show it, but the radio swap is possible.

So if you have a 98-01 radio and want to upgrade to the 02-04 RDS radio, here's what you do:

1. Get an 02-04 RDS radio. (Also possibly an 02-04 BCM as well)
2 Remove your old 98-01 dash and radio. (old 98-01 BCM)
3. Modify the mounts of your old 98-01 radio.
4. Install your new 02-04 RDS radio. (new 02-04 BCM)
5. Install your new 02-04 dash.
6. Enjoy
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

I think I can solve this dilemma, MAYBE. I say that because I have yet to see a variation from this:

If your radio looks like this, then you have a 2 DIN, regardless of year:

If your radio looks like this, then you have a 1.5 DIN:

EDIT: are we even talking about this issue exactly? :lol: :lol: :lol:
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What if mine looks like neither? ;) Mine is the 1.5 din with CD. The Cassette was in the console.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Guitar831
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Guitar831 »

HenryJ wrote:What if mine looks like neither? ;) Mine is the 1.5 din with CD. The Cassette was in the console.
The pre-RDS radios from 95-01 came in two different variations. 1. Radio/cassette player with CD player in console below a/c controls like in purduecrew's pic. This variation was found in full size trucks and suvs from 95 -01. My uncle's 98 Silverado and my aunt's 99 Surburban both have the same audio setup Radio/cassette player with CD player in console below a/c controls. 2. Radio/CD player with cassette player in the floor console. This variaion was found in mid size trucks and suvs like the S-Series. purduecrew is correct. RDS radios from CD or cassette players only or both CD/cassette player combos and even 6-disc CD players are all double din (2) and the pre-RDS radios are din and a half (1.5). With a little modification to the pre-RDS radio mounts, 98-01 trucks and suvs can swap for an RDS radio from 02-04. You might need to change the BCM and you will certainly need to get an 02-04 dash otherwise the old 98-01 dash half covers the CD slot on RDS radios. At least the wiring harness and antenna connections are all the same from way back far as 1988 all the way to 2004. (sigh in relieve)