Screwed Up Wiring - Litteraly !!

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Screwed Up Wiring - Litteraly !!

Post by Horsehammerr »

While moding my rear edge of my front fenders I screwed a nice wide piece of neoprene baseboard over the missing engine cover in my passenger side wheel well. This was the last thing done in this stage of Making My Truck BETTER !! Well, when I hopped in to do the old test drive, it started just fine, put it gear and it stuttered and died. I went through this 3 times and it hit me like a brick !! Did i screw into a wire ?? OH YEAH !! Right into the main harness under the radiator recovery tank. I pulled it loose, no I didn't unscrew the screw first, I just pulled the harness off the screw. What a MORON !! Now I have no start. It cranks over just fine and all other electric goodies work, it just won't fire-up. Now I get to discover the secrets to GM wiring mentality. :!: :twisted: :x :shock: :cry: :cry:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Bummer. If the wire is broken, solder it back together and heat shrink the connection. A little bottle of liquid electrical tape will work for the wires where the insulation was the only damage.
Not fun, but a good learning experience.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Got it fixed ! Just skinned the insulation on the wires the screw contacted enough to short together. A little liquid elec. tape and it all works perfect. Great stuff, and I did put on extra coats to insure no contact. :idea: :D :D