Trailer lights

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Trailer lights

Post by bradjh »

I tried searching but had no luck. I have a 4 flat trailer connector at my rear bumper well my trailer is also 4 flat. Here is my problem one of the metal connectors broke off on the truck side. Can i just cut the whole 4 way plug off and splice in a new one? DO i need to disconnect the battery to do this..?
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

You can but, it'll only cost about $20 to get a replacement harness that plugs right into the OEM wiring.

While it's the first step in every repair in any official publication, disconnecting the battery isn't really necessary. As long as the lights are off and no one steps on the brake while you're splicing the wires.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

if i get a whole new harness is it plug and play? where is it that i plug my new harness into.. Where is the factory wiring? Thanks
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

yup, you unplug the existing harness and insert the new one. It only fits one way and is impossible to do wrong... thus mine works perfectly.

lay on your back near the driver's side rear of your truck, shimmy yourself in until your head is almost back to the spare tire, look up and you'll see the plastic plug/socket connector tucked up in above frame rail.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Pick up a pack of dielectric grease at the check out (if, it is a parts store) for a buck and apply to the connections. It helps stopping the usual corrosion.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]