Third brake light removal ?

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Third brake light removal ?

Post by JaVeRo »

I am trying to remove the third brake light to replace the bulbs. I removed the two screws and tried to gently pry the lense off, no luck. The last time I tried to forcefully remove a lense, I had to glue it back together when I found out that wasn't the way it came off.

The Helm service manual says to remove the interior dome lamp to get to two screws holding the "High Mount Stop Lamp". This may be correct for the regular cab or extended cab. The crew cab does not have a dome light opposite of the third brake light.

Do I need to pry harder or do I need to remove the headliner to get to where the dome light would have been?

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

It's held on by the two screws you mentioned but can stick to the rubber seal. Try a little heat around the edges using a hair drier.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Yeah, mine was stuck pretty good first time I needed to replace a bulb too. You are going at it the right way. Just try gently prying around all the edges till it gives up it's grip on the rubber gasket underneath.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Thanks,

Rain is predicted for the next several days. I'm gonna wait for a dry spell just in case I break it.

Even if I break it, it's still better than having to pull the headliner.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed