Power surge/spike

The stock systems

Moderator: F9K9

green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Power surge/spike

Post by green02crew »

I was driving home tonight and noticed my blinkers reflecting off of a building nearby then noticed my headlights seemed like they were on highbeam. I looked down at the gauges just in time to see my airbag light flashing and volt meter reading about 16 volts. It did this about 3 times, I shut off the engine and started it again just to see if it would continue and it didn't.

Any ideas? Perhaps alt? Any major issues I should be looking at with this if it continues?

I haven't been driving much lately, just on weekends. And I won't get back to this thread until this next coming weekend. Thanks for any ideas though if anybody has any!
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

bad alternator....about the only cause of that
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

raven2510 wrote:bad alternator....about the only cause of that
I've had the same thing happen before in 2 different cars and it was the voltage regulator in the alternator that went bad.

I would get yours tested right away, and then once confirmed to be the problem, get a new one new. :wink:

In one case I had a 100 amp alternator putting out over 200 amps @ 18 volts which swelled the battery and caused it blow the top and spill acid everywhere. :twisted:

The bright headlights and gauges were nice though! :lol:

Steve
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

Well replaced the alternator and headlights and its back to normal. Are there any other problems this could have caused other than headlights? I just want to look into it rather than find out later that wiring was burnt up or something too. I do know that my battery squirted out a little due to the high charge though.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

You might take a look at the headlight wiring, but I'm sure the old alternator was the problem all along.

Steve